Translation - diacritic chars and crashes

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Translation - diacritic chars and crashesHighlander11/05/2008 - 18:08

Hi, i'm working on Polish translation, i'm almost there, but the polish diacritic chars are missing.

It seems that WoG uses pictures instead of rendering fonts? So the rendering engine will have to be changed to allow other chars to be placed in all .pngs? Can someone confirm this?

When I try to use polish translation:
- the game crashes on start UNDER MAC
- but it works under WINDOWS

Some of you reported crashing on start - are you using Macs?

Sugestions:
due to the nature of polish language, it would be cool to do the following:
- X collected - in polish it would be nice to have: "zebrano X", but there no way to change the position of the balls variable
- 1 ball: 1 kulka
- 2 balls: 2 kulki
- 3 balls: 3 kulki
- 4 balls: 4 kulki
- 5 balls: 5 kulek
- we have different word ending for ordering things, so we have different ending for 1, different ending for 2,3,4, and different for 5 and above

It's only a minor bug. I won't cry if it will never be fixed. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crashesSoultaker11/05/2008 - 18:39

[quote author=Highlander link=topic=718.msg5196#msg5196 date=1225926532]
It seems that WoG uses pictures instead of rendering fonts? So the rendering engine will have to be changed to allow other chars to be placed in all .pngs? Can someone confirm this?
WoG uses bitmap fonts, yes, but they can be edited/augmented without touching the actual engine (just editing the font files). Unfortunately, the font face used (Twentieth Century Condensed Extra Bold) is not free, so I can't just add the missing characters from that font. We could of course find a free font that looks similar and replace the existing font with that.

Another option is manually designing the extra characters; for Czech and Polish that should be doable since the missing characters are based on the Latin alphabet. First order of business would be to determine which characters are actually needed.

Quote:

When I try to use polish translation:
- the game crashes on start UNDER MAC
- but it works under WINDOWS

The crash on the Mac makes sense, since the Mac version uses a different encryption method, and the binary files are incompatible. So far, my download page only generates binary versions suitable for use with the PC version.

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crashesHighlander11/05/2008 - 19:05

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=718.msg5199#msg5199 date=1225928363]
WoG uses bitmap fonts, yes, but they can be edited/augmented without touching the actual engine (just editing the font files). Unfortunately, the font face used (Twentieth Century Condensed Extra Bold) is not free, so I can't just add the missing characters from that font. We could of course find a free font that looks similar and replace the existing font with that.

29 bucks for that font, doh!  And according to charmap on fonts.com it doesn't even contain chars from Latin-Extended-A :'(

Last modified Wed, 11/05/2008 - 19:22 by Highlander
Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crasheskyle11/05/2008 - 20:20

Yeah, the font is "Tw Cen MT Condensed Extra Bold" and I'm pretty sure it comes with Windows or Microsoft Office or something. Anyone charging you for it is probably scamming you!

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crashesSoultaker11/05/2008 - 21:07

I think I've seen more or less complete versions of that font (I remember seeing at least ł for example, which is missing right now). There may be different versions from different vendors.

[quote author=kyle link=topic=718.msg5202#msg5202 date=1225934422]
Yeah, the font is "Tw Cen MT Condensed Extra Bold" and I'm pretty sure it comes with Windows or Microsoft Office or something.
Even if it comes with Office (which I don't have anyway) we're probably not technically allowed to convert it to a different font. That being said, we may be able to get away with it. :)

What tools did you use to generate the font file in the first place? Was a lot of manual work involved, or could you easily add a bunch of characters if we had a font and a list of characters that are required according to the translation pages on the wiki?

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crashesron11/05/2008 - 21:29

we used the popcap font creation tools.  they're freely available on popcap's developer site: http://developer.popcap.com/forums/pop_downloads.php

they generate both the png and txt files used by the game.

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crashesHighlander11/06/2008 - 04:45

[quote author=ron link=topic=718.msg5208#msg5208 date=1225938590]
we used the popcap font creation tools.  they're freely available on popcap's developer site: http://developer.popcap.com/forums/pop_downloads.php

they generate both the png and txt files used by the game.

that one doesn't render diacritic chars properly, but i found this one:
http://www.divogames.com/misc/FontBuilderBeta.zip

and it works great, be sure to change output format to popcap.

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crashesHighlander11/06/2008 - 07:22

Tadaa :) It worked, now i have to fine tune letter spacing.

But is seems, that i'll have to create accents by hand in Earth MIghtiest ttf :|

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crashesJM11/08/2008 - 19:13

Hello, I have recently started working on the Polish translation correcting myriads of typos, punctuation and trying to preserve the meaning of various references found in the game. Do not get me wrong, I think Highlander did a great job here already.

I have a general question regarding translation and I did not really want to create a separate thread for that so... here we go:

Are terms like World of Goo Corporation, Tower of Goo, MOM or Infesty (The Worm - I sense an obscure reference here?) supposed to be translated? I noticed a memo on German translation project page (just there, though) and I have been wondering if the message would be clear enough, especially given that due to the game's nature it may also be appealing to younger players.

What content apart from strings and, in the case of Polish language, fonts need to be adjusted? The handle comes to mind. What font is used there? Anything else I forgot?

Is there any deadline?

Kind regards.
JM

Re: Translation - diacritic chars and crasheslittleCoward11/09/2008 - 18:39

[quote author=JM link=topic=718.msg5472#msg5472 date=1226189604]

...  Is there any deadline? ...

from http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php?topic=699.0

[quote author=littleCoward link=topic=699.msg5501#msg5501 date=1226240430]
[quote author=Hideous link=topic=699.msg5494#msg5494 date=1226225771]
Deadline would probably be like December or something, since the game ships out early 2009 as far as I know.

Cool ... that's enough time to make it great

;)