GooTool 0.8 released!

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
GooTool 0.8 released!davidc11/05/2008 - 23:31

Hello again, fellow sign painters.

I'm pleased to announce the first public preview release of GooTool. GooTool is intended to let you install addin mods and levels, to view your profile and tower and upload it to goofans.com, and to allow easy access to customize your World of Goo.

This should be considered a demo version as it is configured to not touch live World of Goo files, though it does demonstrate some of the features of the tool. But be careful to backup your World of Goo directory and profile just in case. A full version with save functionality enabled should be forthcoming in the next few days.

Check it out here: http://www.goofans.com/gootool/about

Let me know what you think!

Re: GooTool 0.8 released!Macatttack11/06/2008 - 00:30

WOW!!! that's so cool!!!  ;D

Re: GooTool 0.8 released!Marius11/06/2008 - 04:48

I notice you add the new levels in chapter 5. The newest release of World of Goo supports booting a level from the commandline (excecutable [Levelname]). This makes sure that you don't get extra balls on your profile*, which you would get if you add them to chapter 5. (Yes, I think that's important, because I have the most balls :P)

*Not actually checked. I think it should work like that.

Re: GooTool 0.8 released!davidc11/06/2008 - 09:50

Yup I just noticed that in another thread too, I think I'll add a "Play Level" button to the addins page. But I still think it'd be cool to have chapter support so people can create whole new islands of goo.

Re: GooTool 0.8 released!davidc11/06/2008 - 17:34

How the goo am I going to reach the exit now? ???

(Example from the spec: http://goofans.com/documentation/addins/merge)

Level merging is all done and working fabulously, a new version of GooTool with addin functionality enabled will be out over the weekend. Now's the time to comment on the addin file format if you're involved in modding!

Re: GooTool 0.8 released!Marius11/06/2008 - 17:45

:')

Bump goos into it until you hit the other side? Except you won't reach the pipe from the floor of the right side :P

Re: GooTool 0.8 released!davidc11/07/2008 - 08:21

[quote author=Marius link=topic=721.msg5221#msg5221 date=1225964900]
I notice you add the new levels in chapter 5. The newest release of World of Goo supports booting a level from the commandline (excecutable [Levelname]). This makes sure that you don't get extra balls on your profile*, which you would get if you add them to chapter 5. (Yes, I think that's important, because I have the most balls :P)

I've done some work with this and decided that the command line option is definitely for developers only. (In fact it's largely superfluous, since most times you can just "reload" level and it'll re-read the level files fine, you only need to restart if you edit text.xml)

First off, it loses the level title/subtitle and just replaces it with the directory name and "testing 1 2 3". Fine for developers. It can't know the real title/subtitle because the text lookup key for this is actually in the island.xml, and you're bypassing the island. Not something I'd think would be easy to fix.

Second, you can't have OCD requirements because again they're stored in the island.xml (in fact you get a crash if you try to access the OCD menu option).

Third, you don't seem to be able to play *new* level names via this mechanism, though I'm making a separate post to try and track down why this is.

And finally, it does mean you have to go through the game startup sequence every time you want to launch a level from the tool.

So I'm going to go back to having GooTool add levels to chapter 5, and when WoG has support for more chapters, move them to a new "custom levels" chapter.

As far as balls on your profile go, I imagine they're calculated as the sum of all balls in all levels you have completed, since it's not actually stored anywhere on your profile. As long as 2dboy code only looks at official level names when totalling, you should be fine.

David

RE: Startupthemacmeister11/08/2008 - 02:07

You can rename the starting animation folder, and it no longer plays - a great speedup mentioned in the modding forum here...

Re: RE: Startupdavidc11/08/2008 - 09:41

[quote author=themacmeister link=topic=721.msg5428#msg5428 date=1226128079]
You can rename the starting animation folder, and it no longer plays - a great speedup mentioned in the modding forum here...

Yep that's done (http://goofans.com/sites/default/images/screen3_0.8.png) but I was referring to the time it takes the game to load (violently spinning publishers and placating the y-axis)