WOG Editor 0.3.1 is out

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/10/2008 - 15:37

It is finally possible to edit level !!!

Main info page: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/wogedit/index.php?title=Main_Page

New features:
- Added support for adding/removing object in level, scene and resource file
- Added support for editing objects' properties in level, scene and resource file
- Validation based on properties type (including reference to other object)
- New level, clone level tool, update level resource tool added
- Save tool, and test level tool added

Notes that I recommand going through the clone/test frequently. It is easy to end up with a crashing level. Having a working clone is a good recovery point.

Notes that to be able to play level started by the editor, you will need to install the latest version of World of Goo.

[quote author=ron link=topic=681.msg5161#msg5161 date=1225874260]we just uploaded an updated version of the installer which includes the ability to start up the game in any level.  you can download and install this over the existing installation using the same download link.

This feature is a great time saver, so if you haven't upgraded yet, I highly recommend doing so. Also, I found that switching to windowed mode (Alt+Enter) cut down time a little bit (the game remember the windowed mode from one run to another).

Do not run the editor on your original install of WOG. Copy the "World of Goo" directory and play with that.

Have fun  ;D

PS: Makes sure to watch for error in the console windows if you find something weird is happening. ::)

EDIT: fixed the url so that it doesn't ask password (really, just changed to http instead of https)

Last modified Tue, 11/11/2008 - 04:37 by zark92
Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outNicosmos11/10/2008 - 15:47

The wiki ask a password ... :-\  ;)

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outMacatttack11/10/2008 - 16:13

Damn password I can't make mods!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!  :-[

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outOehr11/10/2008 - 16:23

use your head...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wogedit/

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outsporb11/10/2008 - 17:21

how do you get it to work?

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/11/2008 - 04:42

[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=766.msg5604#msg5604 date=1226350037]
The wiki ask a password ... :-\  ;)

Fixed the URL, forgot to change the https to http when copy/pasting. You could also just create a sourceforge account ;)

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/11/2008 - 04:49

[quote author=sporb link=topic=766.msg5617#msg5617 date=1226355691]
how do you get it to work?

The question is a bit vague... I recommend reading the editor overview in the wiki, skimming over the file structure description to get an understanding of what levels are composed of.

The editor at the current time is somewhat just a fancy "XML editor" with a special visualization.

Then starts toying on a clone of an existing level (starts with a simple level like GoingUp).

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outsporb11/11/2008 - 23:19

what i mean is were is the actual editor file i cant seem to find it?

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/12/2008 - 13:45

[quote author=sporb link=topic=766.msg5682#msg5682 date=1226463559]
what i mean is were is the actual editor file i cant seem to find it?

You must download wogeditor-0.3.1-bin.zip, then unpack it using whatever tool you use: 7-zip, winrar... Finally, in the unzipped directory wogeditor-0.3.1, launch wogeditor.exe.

Hope this answer your question.

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outsporb11/12/2008 - 14:06

i did unzip it using winrar but for some reason it wont give me the actual wog editor file its been doing this for so many applications for some reason i need a installer to run any applications because winrar says when trying to extract the application alone that there are no files to extract 

Last modified Wed, 11/12/2008 - 14:32 by sporb
Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/12/2008 - 14:31

If you unzip unrar using the "Extract Here" option in the context, you get a new folder named wogeditor-0.3.1. Search the exe in that folder.

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outsporb11/12/2008 - 14:49

i used 7 zip and it worked but now the editor wont work because it cant find my world of goo file same thing with goo tool

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/13/2008 - 03:34

Have you tried searching for "WorldOfGoo.exe" on all your drives ? Unlike gootool, you need to tell WOG edit where WOG is installed using menu File/Change WOG Directory.

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outglombool11/15/2008 - 01:54

So... I have edited a level.  How do I go about playing it?

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outEcho11/15/2008 - 02:12

[quote author=glombool link=topic=766.msg5853#msg5853 date=1226732081]
So... I have edited a level.  How do I go about playing it?

You either hit the play button on the editor interface, or just go into the game and play that level.

Having played around with this for a few hours, and making a level from scratch, I have a few observations;
1.It needs a drop and drag interface. It is simply too frustrating and boring to create 20 new goo balls, because you must manually enter co-ordinates for each and every one. Rotating by dragging would also be nice.

2.The resource system works well enough now, and is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. However, instead of giving a file path, how about a window comes up that allows you to select the file you want.

3.Add the ability to control the camera more. The boundaries of the camera seem to be fixed when editing, but can obviously be changed (see 2dboy levels)

4.Auto-complete new forms to some extent. For example, when creating a new goo-ball, instead of all having an id of 1, just increase in steps of 1 each time.

5.Provide some documentation. I would be willing to help in this area if you need it.

I have no idea how many of these ideas are impossible to implement, or planned for future updates, so forgive me if they are all irrelevant.  :P

All that aside, well done, keep up the awesome work.  :)

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/15/2008 - 04:28

[quote author=Echo link=topic=766.msg5854#msg5854 date=1226733168]
Having played around with this for a few hours, and making a level from scratch, I have a few observations;
1.It needs a drop and drag interface. It is simply too frustrating and boring to create 20 new goo balls, because you must manually enter co-ordinates for each and every one. Rotating by dragging would also be nice.

Interaction with the graphic view is definitely in the roadmap. I came to the same conclusion as you concerning the goo balls. Though this won't be in the next release as it is a fairly large feature.

2.The resource system works well enough now, and is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. However, instead of giving a file path, how about a window comes up that allows you to select the file you want.

Hmm, are you using the "Update level resource" tool. It makes editing the resource tree by hand pretty useless. Or is it that you somehow don't have the resource in your level directory ?

3.Add the ability to control the camera more. The boundaries of the camera seem to be fixed when editing, but can obviously be changed (see 2dboy levels)

Do you mean the bound of the camera when playing? You can change those by editing the top-level scene node (min/max x&y).

4.Auto-complete new forms to some extent. For example, when creating a new goo-ball, instead of all having an id of 1, just increase in steps of 1 each time.

I came to the same conclusion as you. I'll try to add this feature for the next release.

5.Provide some documentation. I would be willing to help in this area if you need it.

Help would be highly appreciated! Are you refering to a specific area in the documentation:
1) How to use the editor ?
2) What is a compositegeom ?
3) How do I setup the physic to do X & Y ?
4) Tutorial to create a level from scratch ?

I think dealing with item (4) "tutorial" would dabble at most of the items and helps newbie the most. Feel free to add a page to the wiki if you have the time (let me know if you have trouble with that).

I have no idea how many of these ideas are impossible to implement, or planned for future updates, so forgive me if they are all irrelevant.  :P

All that aside, well done, keep up the awesome work.  :)

Your ideas are most relevant, and included in some use cases I had identified , and actually made me put back automatic id generation in the roadmap. I had forgotten that feature. The current roadmap is something like that:
Planned for next release:
- finish the foundation work to make attaching warning to element possible
  => this has a significant impact on the internal architecture of the editor, so I'd rather get this done early do avoid modifying a lot of code later
- identifier related stuff: auto-generation on new item, uniqueness check
- basic features that are cheap to implement: node copy/paste/cloning

Future release:
- graphic view interaction

Thanks for your feedback, and keep them comming. This helps with motivation ;)

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outEcho11/15/2008 - 20:13

[quote author=zark92 link=topic=766.msg5867#msg5867 date=1226741318]
Hmm, are you using the "Update level resource" tool. It makes editing the resource tree by hand pretty useless. Or is it that you somehow don't have the resource in your level directory ?

I am probably definitely doing something wrong here. I click the button but it does not seem to do anything?

Do you mean the bound of the camera when playing? You can change those by editing the top-level scene node (min/max x&y).

Yes, thanks for that.

I came to the same conclusion as you. I'll try to add this feature for the next release.

:)

I think dealing with item (4) "tutorial" would dabble at most of the items and helps newbie the most. Feel free to add a page to the wiki if you have the time (let me know if you have trouble with that).

I am a bit tied up at the moment, but some time in the near future I will try to put a tutorial up.
Also, I am still learning, so having a bit more time to figure out what everything does might be a good idea.  :P

The current roadmap is something like that:
Planned for next release:
- finish the foundation work to make attaching warning to element possible
  => this has a significant impact on the internal architecture of the editor, so I'd rather get this done early do avoid modifying a lot of code later
- identifier related stuff: auto-generation on new item, uniqueness check
- basic features that are cheap to implement: node copy/paste/cloning
Future release:
- graphic view interaction
Thanks for your feedback, and keep them comming. This helps with motivation ;)

Sounds good, hope it all goes well.

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outglombool11/15/2008 - 21:01

Quote:
You either hit the play button on the editor interface, or just go into the game and play that level.

Hitting the play button takes me to the main screen... not the level I just edited.  Did I miss something?

And just going to the game to play "that level" doesn't work.  It is a level from scratch.  I tried adding a "button" for the level on island1 but it doesn't show up.

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outEcho11/15/2008 - 23:46

[quote author=glombool link=topic=766.msg5902#msg5902 date=1226800918]
Hitting the play button takes me to the main screen... not the level I just edited.  Did I miss something?

And just going to the game to play "that level" doesn't work.  It is a level from scratch.  I tried adding a "button" for the level on island1 but it doesn't show up.

1: Copy WoG folder; paste it in different location (i.e. desktop)
2: Open WoG Editor
3: File>Change WoG directory
4: Select the copied directory
5: Open or create level
6: Click the play button on the WoG Editor interface

If that is what you have done, maybe you need the GooTool
http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php?topic=757.0
Install that and direct to same directory. Probably irrelevant, but only thing I can think of and it will allow you to add your level to the game itself.

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/17/2008 - 08:23

[quote author=Echo link=topic=766.msg5901#msg5901 date=1226798011]

I am probably definitely doing something wrong here. I click the button but it does not seem to do anything?

Here is what should happen:
If you are editing a level named "Tutorial", then you should put all your resources in res/levels/Tutorial:
*.png
*.ogg
(just as is done for standard level).

The "Update level resource" will scan that directory, and for each resource that is not in the resource tree, it will add a new Image/Sound node.

Is it your set up?

Re: WOG Editor 0.3.1 is outzark9211/17/2008 - 08:27

[quote author=glombool link=topic=766.msg5902#msg5902 date=1226800918]

Quote:

This features requires that you have the latest version of WorldOfGoo. Try updating and let us known if you still have problem (or are you using a binary from Steam?)