Launching maps at game startup...

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Launching maps at game startup...Entih11/11/2008 - 15:57

On the Steam download of the game.

I just bought World of Goo the other day and, quite frankly, loved it.  On finishing it, I reverted to my usual curious self and went about inspecting modding it (primarily maps, which to my excitement had a working editor released the day I started looking).

Unnecessarily long story short, I'm trying to start on mapping and the likes, but I am lacking a simple way to load any map easily for testing.  The Steam installation (or, rather, a copy of it for purposes of mod fun) does not appear to be the recently released one capable of starting on any given map as a launch parameter (which also means the 'save and launch map' option in the editor does nothing but get me to the title screen as well).  I have indeed tested with both custom and default maps, both just result frustratingly on the title menu as if normally launched.

Is it at all possible for me to get the installation capable of more stress free map loading, or am I doomed due to getting the game on Steam?  Or, of course, did I make a critical misunderstanding somewhere along the way?

All assistance gratefully accepted, thanks and possibly cookies will be supplied.

Re: Launching maps at game startup...Marius11/11/2008 - 16:00

The patches usually arrive at steam as well, just a little while later. For the meantime, you could try to add a level to a world. There's a guide on how to do that somewhere around here...

Re: Launching maps at game startup...Entih11/12/2008 - 02:41

Well, was hoping for more convenience and ease, but this will do for now (or until I think up some trick... such as the one I already found in which you may edit the island level files within the map editor itself, allowing you to easily add a new button to launch a custom map without going through the troubles of decryption, typing, and encryption).

Thank you muchly for your assistance, your cookie will be in the mail and will arrive in four to six weeks.

Re: Launching maps at game startup...davidc11/12/2008 - 08:37

[quote author=Entih link=topic=775.msg5686#msg5686 date=1226475667]
Well, was hoping for more convenience and ease, but this will do for now (or until I think up some trick... such as the one I already found in which you may edit the island level files within the map editor itself, allowing you to easily add a new button to launch a custom map without going through the troubles of decryption, typing, and encryption).

You can add a custom map to an island easily through GooTool, e.g. just take the demo "Deja Vu" level and edit it with your level name (it's a zipfile in disguise), then just modify your files within World of Goo using the editor, before eventually repacking it as a goomod file for distribution.

Hopefully we can get wogedit to write out goomod files at some point :) I'm also working on a developer-friendly mode for GooTool 0.9.1 so it can merge from expanded goomod directory structure so you don't have to zip it up every time (I use an ant task but for many it's not so easy).

Gootool: http://goofans.com/gootool