merging fan translations into official release

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
merging fan translations into official releasekyle11/16/2008 - 07:25

I would like to start merging the fan translations into future releases of the game, including the European Wii version if we can complete the merge in time. I assume that's ok with everyone? I speak only english, so I will need some help!:

1. I am planning on including the following languages: EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, but would be open to including others if 1. the existing font texture supports the necessary characters and 2. we are reasonably confident of the translation quality.

2. I merged the current (as of a few minutes ago) version of the translations on the wiki into our updated text.xml. The result is here: http://2dboy.com/MATERIALS/localisation/translationCandidate2/
The Chapter 6 and anything Moon related have been removed. Are these translations ok? I'd like to get several native speakers to give a thumbs up for each language if possible. If something needs updating, just update the wiki, and then let me know! http://hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

3. This is the tricky one - different language strings appear at different lengths. French is especially wordy! We need to play through the game in each language, play every level, read every sign post, view every line of dialogue with MOM, watch all the movies, etc to ensure all strings fit where they are supposed to. If they don't fit, it requires tweaking the position of the newline "|" indicator to nudge everything into place. If you've verified that it all looks good in your language, or have already fixed the layout, make a note here or on the wiki that everything looks good.

4. Image translations. I uploaded the image translations I made here: http://2dboy.com/MATERIALS/localisation/
But, the some of the translations were especially poor. If you think anything needs updating badly, let me know, or if you want to be extra amazing, tweak the image and post here! And this new image tool looks promising- http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php?topic=794.15

Thanks for your help everyone, I hope we're able to include this!

Last modified Sun, 11/16/2008 - 07:28 by kyle
Re: merging fan translations into official releaseNicosmos11/16/2008 - 07:42

3. I have begun to verify all that with French, but only a bit. I'm going to continue ... ;) I believe that the best is to configure the game in 800x600 to test that, no ?

4. Like I said in this message, there are some things to improve in the French translation. ::)

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseFede11/16/2008 - 13:25

Italian language translation status:

a) I'd like to hear more opinions on how it's best to translate "Sign Painter" (was "Cartellista", proposed "Disegnatore di Cartelli" and "Pittore di Cartelli")
b) if the old "Sign Painter" translation doesn't get changed I have played all the levels and everything should stay in the limits
c) are you sure you want to keep MOM untranslated?

Re: merging fan translations into official releasechrisis11/16/2008 - 13:38

German translation: changed "tödlich" to the correct "tödliche" in the Wiki at SIGNPOST_ODETOBRIDGEBUILDER_1. Kyle: Do you read this thread or should I send you an e-mail?
Didn't register at the wiki, my IP was 91.114.253.10

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseSoultaker11/16/2008 - 17:29

I've made quite a few changes to the Dutch translation after you posted. I'll probably do a play-through to see if everything fits and if so, I'll sign off on the current version if you like.

Text for the images is in the wiki; for the actual images I'm counting on davidc's tool as I don't have Photoshop.

Re: merging fan translations into official releasekyle11/16/2008 - 17:51

Thanks guys, I do read this thread. I'll post the updated text.xml/bin files once I get them merged.

Re: merging fan translations into official releasetickbite11/16/2008 - 18:04

Hi Kyle,

I checked the German translations on the images. I noticed that the pdf-file that comes with the images is out of date. The wiki has different texts than the actual pictures. However, some of the Wiki texts would be really hard to fit onto the signs.

I made three new PNGs (attached) for:

levels_GoingUp_tutorialPost - ziehen und ablegen um bis zum Rohr zu kommen (changed r to R, somebody else has noted that already)
levels_ImpaleSticky_tutorialSign - knack 'nen Zeitkäfer um eine Aktion rückgängig zu machen (the Wiki's Klicke auf einen Zeitkäfer is just too long)
levels_wogc_ConnectBB_content_connected - changed Wie sie so dorthin gekommen? to Wie sind sie dorthin gekommen?

Two more (very subjective) comments:
- SIGNPOST_TUMBLER_1: let's change mit dem feinen Unterschied back to Hochachtungsvoll. I think that sounds better here. But maybe that's just me. ;)
- IMG_WOGC_SIGN3 and IMG_WOGC_SIGN4: In english, having goo in the words sounds fine, but I think this just sounds weird in German. While goo-d and goo-t is alright, Was willst du heute goo'n? is really strange. In the pdf that was just left to Was willst du heute tun?

I didn't want to change it in the Wiki because it's just my opinion and you may prefer to keep it as it is right now. Hope that helps.

Attachment: levels_GoingUp_tutorialPost.png (116.8 KB, 341 downloads)
Attachment: levels_wogc_ConnectBB_content_connected.png (35.56 KB, 309 downloads)
Re: merging fan translations into official releasetickbite11/16/2008 - 18:07

Hm. Apparently I can't add more than 192kb in total attachments into the forum at a time. So here's the third image ...

Attachment: levels_ImpaleSticky_tutorialSign.png (105.23 KB, 339 downloads)
Re: merging fan translations into official releasekyle11/16/2008 - 18:16

Thanks tickbite! These images look good to everyone?

The new merge is ready, based on the state of the wiki as of a few minutes ago. It's available here for testing:
http://2dboy.com/MATERIALS/localisation/translationCandidate3/

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseOehr11/17/2008 - 07:56

we'll(oehr+windam) try translating the whole 2 chapters that are left in the german translating and make whole ingame translation check as fast and as good as possible!

@windam,
wir müssen reden! >:(

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseOehr11/17/2008 - 08:48

[quote author=tickbite link=topic=807.msg5936#msg5936 date=1226876693]
Hi Kyle,

I checked the German translations on the images. I noticed that the pdf-file that comes with the images is out of date. The wiki has different texts than the actual pictures. However, some of the Wiki texts would be really hard to fit onto the signs.

I made three new PNGs (attached) for:

levels_GoingUp_tutorialPost - ziehen und ablegen um bis zum Rohr zu kommen (changed r to R, somebody else has noted that already)
levels_ImpaleSticky_tutorialSign - knack 'nen Zeitkäfer um eine Aktion rückgängig zu machen (the Wiki's Klicke auf einen Zeitkäfer is just too long)
levels_wogc_ConnectBB_content_connected - changed Wie sie so dorthin gekommen? to Wie sind sie dorthin gekommen?

Two more (very subjective) comments:
- SIGNPOST_TUMBLER_1: let's change mit dem feinen Unterschied back to Hochachtungsvoll. I think that sounds better here. But maybe that's just me. ;)
- IMG_WOGC_SIGN3 and IMG_WOGC_SIGN4: In english, having goo in the words sounds fine, but I think this just sounds weird in German. While goo-d and goo-t is alright, Was willst du heute goo'n? is really strange. In the pdf that was just left to Was willst du heute tun?

I didn't want to change it in the Wiki because it's just my opinion and you may prefer to keep it as it is right now. Hope that helps.
signpost tumber 1 - wir haben mit dem feinen Unterschied genommen statt hochachtungsvoll da:
- es später sonst ein weiteres mal für "Sincerely, the Sign Painter" genommen wird
- es vom kontext WICHTIG ist. der signpainter meint nämlich er sei der supertolle super sieger :) verstanden?

und für die restlichen schilderübersetzung, schau mal in unsere übersetzung. klingen schöner!

@kyle:
just a reminder of this bug:
[quote author=Öhr link=topic=746.msg5446#msg5446 date=1226153070]en: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2875/pic1lj8.png
ger: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3069/pic2nd0.png
look at the bottom left corner.
The text is "centered", thus as soon as the translation is longer or smaller than the original english "back", it doesn't fit in perfectly anympore. it either overwrites the arrow and goes out of the screen or theres a wide gap between the arrow and the text.

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseSoultaker11/17/2008 - 16:23

Ok, I verified the entire Dutch translation in game, resulting in this revision on the Wiki.

I missed a few strings on my playthrough though:
[*] MOVIE_WOGCUNLOCK_3
[*] SIGNPOST_BEAUTYANDTHETENTACLE_3
[*] MOVIE_MADEBY_1
[*] GOO_SLOT_TEXT
[*] SIGNPOST_MOM_2
[*] TOOLTIP_MOM_X
[*] SIGNPOST_WOGC_2
Does anyone know off the top of their head where these are?

I probably go over the level names one more time soon (maybe check with Marius); that's the only part which (I think) has a little potential for improvement.

Re: merging fan translations into official releasekyle11/17/2008 - 16:54

Thanks soultaker - would it be possible to "lock" translations? ie. so a mischievous scoundrel doesn't come along and muck with translations we have all verified as good?

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseSoultaker11/17/2008 - 19:03

I'd prefer not to lock pages, but I'll add a feature to the download page that allows you to specify a text id (that's the "oldid" in the URL if you select a specific revision from the history page). That would allow me to say "Dutch translation with page id 1206 is OK", and then you could download the text from this specific revision even if newer revisions exist.

Tomorrow, though.

Last modified Mon, 11/17/2008 - 19:26 by Soultaker
Re: merging fan translations into official releasetickbite11/17/2008 - 19:30

Thanks, Öhr, for the comments. I agree, the tumbler translation of yours needs to be in there like it is. Didn't think of the context.  ;)

I guess while the translation is still in progress, it doesn't make much sense to do any of the images. But once the German translation is approved I wouldn't mind updating them. Just make sure to keep them similar in length to the english version. I still think that the time bug sign would look awfully crowded if I tried to squeeze the whole "Klicke auf einen Zeitkäfer, um einen Schritt in der Zeit zurückzugehen" onto it, no matter the font size. 

Let me know if I can help, okay?

Re: merging fan translations into official releasedavidc11/17/2008 - 20:00

[quote author=tickbite link=topic=807.msg6012#msg6012 date=1226968225]
I still think that the time bug sign would look awfully crowded if I tried to squeeze the whole "Klicke auf einen Zeitkäfer, um einen Schritt in der Zeit zurückzugehen" onto it, no matter the font size. 

Just generated by GooTool from the wiki (which I just updated to include the missing line breaks). Looks ok to me?

(yes this font needs accented characters too. C'mon guys, we must be able to find a decent handwriting font out there!!)

XML:

<br /><br />  <process-image><br />    <source>levels_ImpaleSticky_tutorialSign.png</source><br />    <dest>res/levels/ImpaleSticky/tutorialSign</dest><br /><br />    <draw><br />      <fit-to-box x="16" y="52" width="270" height="40" x-justify="center" allow-grow="false"/><br />      <text><br />        <string>IMG_IMPALESTICKY_HINT[1]</string><br />        <font name="SassyFrassy.ttf" size="30"/><br />        <color>#000000</color><br />        <rotation>5</rotation><br />      </text><br />    </draw><br />    <draw><br />      <fit-to-box x="16" y="87" width="270" height="40" x-justify="center" allow-grow="false"/><br />      <text><br />        <string>IMG_IMPALESTICKY_HINT[2]</string><br />        <font name="SassyFrassy.ttf" size="30"/><br />        <color>#000000</color><br />        <rotation>5</rotation><br />      </text><br />    </draw><br />    <draw><br />      <fit-to-box x="16" y="122" width="270" height="40" x-justify="center" allow-grow="false"/><br />      <text><br />        <string>IMG_IMPALESTICKY_HINT[3]</string><br />        <font name="SassyFrassy.ttf" size="30"/><br />        <color>#000000</color><br />        <rotation>5</rotation><br />      </text><br />    </draw><br />  </process-image><br />

Last modified Mon, 11/17/2008 - 20:10 by davidc
Re: merging fan translations into official releasedavidc11/17/2008 - 20:07

In-game. Looks fine to me, obviously you guys need to find a suitable font or edit one to just add the umlauts:

Re: merging fan translations into official releasekyle11/17/2008 - 21:16

Haha, you guys reject my use of TwCen font on the signs? :) The rational was that it's easier to read on TV screens, and also uses the Sign Painter's font for consistency.

Do you all overwhelmingly prefer handwriting on these two signs? If so, I can just make them manually, so don't worry about a font.

Re: merging fan translations into official releasedavidc11/17/2008 - 21:39

[quote author=kyle link=topic=807.msg6019#msg6019 date=1226974577]
Haha, you guys reject my use of TwCen font on the signs? :) The rational was that it's easier to read on TV screens, and also uses the Sign Painter's font for consistency.

Do you all overwhelmingly prefer handwriting on these two signs? If so, I can just make them manually, so don't worry about a font.

Sorry Kyle, I assumed that the handwriting was intentional to give a more casual feel to the signwriting.

It is incredibly easy to modify the XML to generate TwCen instead, if you prefer that!

Personally, being native English speaker (mit ein bisschen Deutsche et un peu de Francais) it seemed it looked better mimicing your original "hand drawn" feel. But if you disagree, TwCen is MUCH MUCH easier for us because it has all the character set!

That said, your World of Goo's Greatest Biggest Font doesn't have any accented characters whatsoever :( So translated images in those fonts need to be manually adjusted or someone needs to augment the font.

Re: merging fan translations into official releasekyle11/18/2008 - 03:25

TW Cen is probably best for everyone.

Yeah, the EMB font has a great style, but contains no non-english characters, so I had to draw accents and other characters manually for the rasterized version of it used in the game. If anyone knows how to edit fonts, I suppose that could help, or gootool could fake it!

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseLaPingvino11/18/2008 - 04:02

I have tweaked the Esperanto-translation a little, so it doesn't depend on Russian signs any more... ;)

I would love it if you include the Esperanto-translation in the release, even if that means it will be in x-system (a way to display Esperanto without accents) and without image translations.

Can someone tell me if somebody included/tried including the Esperanto accented letters like Ĉ etc. in the font already? I'm doing all the work on a linux-machine, and it doesn't support the font-software well... :( Didn't try the image-creating software yet, I will be very very thankful if someone can create Esperanto in-game images from the translation :)

(Btw, someone can make a drop-in replacement font with e.g. Comic Sans? (Just to be able to download and replace, not for release...) It has almost all the letters, including the Russian, we need to test things.)

Update: GooTool doesn't work for me yet, posted about it in the forum of GooTool

Last modified Tue, 11/18/2008 - 05:57 by LaPingvino
Re: merging fan translations into official releaseSoultaker11/18/2008 - 09:30

I previously identified what characters were needed for proper support on the wiki: Internationalized fonts.

The Twentieth Century font already support most characters.

I've also modified the TrueType file for the Earth's Mightiest font so it now includes the most common Latin characters. This font should now support all characters necessary for the Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish translations (let me know if I've missed anything).

I'll probably add the characters for remaining fonts like Swedish and Esperanto later; creating characters that consist of a Latin character and a diacritical mark is a lot less work than creating them from scratch (like the damn ß in the Earth's Mightiest font, which took me nearly an hour :P).

For the handwriting-y font, I suggest just using Gootool without diacritical marks, and adding them in manually later; not really worth the effort to create customized fonts if the font is only used in so few places.

@kyle: what font did you use for the "console" font? That one is used for the "3D" sign posts, so it needs to be internationalized too, right?

Last modified Tue, 11/18/2008 - 09:32 by Soultaker
Re: merging fan translations into official releaseJM11/19/2008 - 07:13

Hello,

Polish translation is kind of on hiatus currently. I am a bit sick and preoccupied with my studies at the moment while the other contributor is away.

Also, some questions remain. I noticed a memo on German translation page saying that names like World of Goo Corporation or MOM are not to be translated. Is this the official standpoint? I mean, it kind of breaks otherwise immersive experience for people unfamiliar with English, especially given wide target audience of the game.

While virtually all of the strings are translated some need corrections or clever ideas (e.g What do you want to goo today or goo-d or we got the moves you got the grooves) but especially - proof-reading and proof-playing. The fonts need to be finished, too, I'll try to contact Arkadiusz about it.

Basically, the leftover work could be possibly done in a weekend provided that I will hear from the other guy and iron out the details. A clearly stated deadline would certainly be helpful here.

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseNicosmos11/19/2008 - 07:27

Quote:
I've also modified the TrueType file for the Earth's Mightiest font so it now includes the most common Latin characters. This font should now support all characters necessary for the Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish translations (let me know if I've missed anything).

Excellent :D In the French translation, can we replace every 'oe' by 'œ' now or should we wait that this improved font will be integrated in the game ?

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseSoultaker11/19/2008 - 07:41

[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=807.msg6058#msg6058 date=1227097645]
Excellent :D In the French translation, can we replace every 'oe' by 'œ' now or should we wait that this improved font will be integrated in the game ?
I'd suggest waiting a while until it becomes clear if kyle wants to update the fonts for the next release (or prefers to keep the existing ones; after all, the languages he wants to include are already covered by the current fonts, with the possible exception of the œ and ß characters, both of which can be avoided).

So far I have no idea how to replicate the bitmap fonts accurately (there are tools to generate the bitmap fonts, but they don't support the borders/blur stuff that is used in the official fonts) and
the console font still needs to be updated too (in fact, I still need a suitable base font for that).

Re: merging fan translations into official releasekyle11/19/2008 - 20:50

Yeah, it looks like we are in fact supporting ß but not œ.

It is unlikely we will modify the font images for future releases, and most definitely not for the wii version, since we have put so much testing into them. I hope we can fudge translations a bit to work around missing characters here and there.

Oh right, I forgot about the console font. It's just that fixedsys font that comes with windows. I think it's a bitmap font, so it's a bit awkward to work with.

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseDrAcid11/20/2008 - 02:11

Hi! It's me again(the texture asking guy...)
I pretty much got OK with the game engine(you guys did a great job, making it so flexible for translators! I would've never thought of actually using *filename*.*lang*.*extention* pattern!)
So, a group of several people(including me) started on Georgian translation(I think I've already mentioned that somewhere else). I'm 80% done with font bitmaps, symbol defining and image translation(using fireworksI did it pretty easily before the PSDs were published)... Guys are about 45% done with the texts...
You could check out the screenshots here. I know, It's in georgian, but you still could take a look at the pictures(pages 1 & 2)...

Could we arrange a page in official wiki(I registered. The problem is that Wiki system is unknown to me, so it kinda sucks...Idk what to do. at all)?

Thank You beforehand!

Re: merging fan translations into official releasemax11/20/2008 - 10:50

Hello,

I bought World of Goo some days ago and basically couldn't put it down till I had played the last level.

I'm from Germany. So I looked at the German translation wiki page and today just had to tweak and fix things basically everywhere. Mostly small transaltion errors and small rewordings to improve the style and tone and carrying over the meaning of the original as well as possible, but there were also some places where important stuff has been left out (apparantly just to fit the text onto the signs etc.) and what really bugged me, a bunch of places with really big erros in carrying over the meaning of on sentence or another.

So as the todo list read only the signs from ch. 1 and 2 were already finished 100% and on the discussion page on of the main translators said that anything below 100% can still be changed without having to ask, I simply did so.
And requested on the discussion page to put the 100% mark off from ch 1 and 2 as well as those aren't flawless either.

Frankly this wasn't very diplomatic but I just coudn't help myself improving were I saw errors and were things could be reworded here and there to sound better/better carry over the original meaning.

And now I read here that the DE Translation is about to be incorporated into the official version. Imho
you should wait some more time till it's got feedback and last rewordings/tweakings from a bunch more of native German speaker who also have very good English skills. And, especially referring to chapter 4, can work out how to translate the technical terms like socket, GPU, 1337 etc. properly :).

To Kyle and Ron: Please don't hurry the translations too much when they have not yet been checked by enough mother-tongues speakers of the respective language.

To my German colleagues: Just do what you want with my input, hopefully you can see the reasons for the major rewordings of mine and include them. And agree with me on the bunch of errors that were made where the translation I found was just clearly incorrect.

Max.

Last modified Thu, 11/20/2008 - 11:11 by max
Re: merging fan translations into official releaseManray11/24/2008 - 08:48

Hi! I'd like to say that Spanish translations looks like nearly done right now. There's an issue in Epilogue main screen (http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,850.0.html) and some other object translations not done yet (but written in the wiki (http://hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/mediawiki/index.php/Spanish_translation), but I'd say that it only needs some testing to be finished in case some lines are too long and that kind of stuff.

Re: merging fan translations into official releaseTijmen00711/26/2008 - 11:50

Lol Nice, i've read through the dutch translation. (to be honest it can be quit formal sometimes) Anyway, well done guys!