Wog Editor 0.4 is out

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Wog Editor 0.4 is outzark9211/19/2008 - 03:44

Main info page: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/wogedit/index.php?title=Main_Page

What's new in version 0.4.0:

* Add child now only propose child that are valid to add to the selected item.
* Added unique identifier generation when adding child
* Added support for cut/copy/paste of node and composite. The element XML is stored in the clipboard and can be used to mess around. Pasting automatically generate unique id.
* Keyboard shortcut for cut/copy/paste/delete works in all views.
* Completion is provided for ball type
* Completion list is now sorted in non case-sensitive order
* Can unset a mandatory attribute by inputing an empty string
* Added id/name column in tree view
* Added 'group' icon for each element in tree view
* Added issue detection system:
  - invalid attribute value (reference to non existing id)
  - missing children (for example a camera must have at least one 'poi')
  In the tree view, issues are shown in the tree view as a red symbol overlay on top of the group icon.
  In the property list, property name turn red when there is an issue
  In both case, a tooltip will provide information about the issue(s) on the element/attribute

Fixed bugs:
* In property list, property name does not change to bold once the property is set
* many metawog model bugs, major blocking one was the missing water attribute on linearforcefield

A note of caution: when adding geometry (rectangle, circle), makes sure to either set attribute "static" to "true" or given them a mass. Otherwise you'll get an assertion when playing. (this is complex inter-attribute validation which is not done yet).

Tips: you can easily adds plenty of goo by cutting and pasting many times. Automatic id generation will do the right job.

Roadmap for next version:
- Making x,y and width,height attributes a single property in the editor
- Moving & resizing element in the graphic view (finally!)

Re: Wog Editor 0.4 is outxanax11/19/2008 - 17:38

Would it be possible to have an option that would automatically check for WOG editor updates (and of course notify the user) ?

Or even better.. an option that would automatically update WOG editor (like Firefox for instance).

Thanks

Re: Wog Editor 0.4 is outzark9211/20/2008 - 08:13

Well, I don't know any out of the box solution to do that.

That being said, you can easily indicates on Sourceforge that you want to monitor the package. You will receive an automatic e-mail notification when a new version of the package is released.

Re: Wog Editor 0.4 is outxanax11/20/2008 - 11:02

Thanks for notifying me of this. I didn't know this option.

Re: Wog Editor 0.4 is outHany11/20/2008 - 11:33

Good job! I need function copy, paste etc  :)

Re: Wog Editor 0.4 is outNicosmos11/20/2008 - 12:19

Is it possible to consider a Linux version ? Your software quite interests me - I would love create new and edit levels for the game - but I don't have Windows. :)
In any case, congratulations for your work. ;)

Edit: Your editor seems to work fine on Linux with Wine. So, two suggestions :
> Have the ability to drag&drop objects, balls, vectors & others elements. Maybe, for more security, only while pressing Ctrl, or something like that.
> Replace actual icons to Tango icons, or an other free and nicer icon set.

Last modified Thu, 11/20/2008 - 12:36 by Nicosmos
Re: Wog Editor 0.4 is outzark9211/21/2008 - 11:20

[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=831.msg6108#msg6108 date=1227201572]
Is it possible to consider a Linux version ?

It is written in python and using portable API for path manipulation. It should work on Linux without modification (needs the right version of pyqt and other dependencies. See the wiki for detail if you are interested).

[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=831.msg6108#msg6108 date=1227201572]
Edit: Your editor seems to work fine on Linux with Wine. So, two suggestions :
> Have the ability to drag&drop objects, balls, vectors & others elements. Maybe, for more security, only while pressing Ctrl, or something like that.
> Replace actual icons to Tango icons, or an other free and nicer icon set.

I'm working on level view interaction right now. Though I think I'll just go with the standard "hot point" on the rectangle to determine the move/resize/rotate action.

Thanks for the pointer on free icon. Tried to find some, but gave up. Would you care taking the time to pick some nice one for the editor ?