Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?darrenm06/03/2009 - 02:01

Thank you so much for putting this out there. I'm sure lots of people will benefit from this and I look forward to seeing what people come up with.

WOG is one of my favourite games, and I was very happy when you released a Linux version. Is there any chance you will release the Linux compatible bits for this framework?

Re: Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?Witi06/17/2009 - 15:35

Quote:
Is there any chance you will release the Linux compatible bits for this framework?

+1!

Re: Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?ido07/03/2009 - 06:26

I was actually surprised it was windows only, since WoG works on mac & linux.

Was it made with a later version of this framework?

Re: Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?Soultaker07/03/2009 - 07:13

No, the code released includes some of the bugfixes introduced with the Linux port, so it's definitely the latest available. However, as you may have noticed the framework is modular in the sense that there are a couple of generic classes and a couple of classes that contain platform-specific implementation. 

I guess Ron decided to release just the Windows parts of the framework and omit the OS X, Linux and Wii code. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but I can imagine they just wanted to release a framework containing everything they would want to use themselves to build prototypes. (After all, 2D Boy do their primary development on Windows; Mac and Linux support was added only when the game was nearly complete.)

Last modified Fri, 07/03/2009 - 18:40 by Soultaker
Re: Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?jmleleven07/03/2009 - 08:50

*you mean linux support, not windows support, right? I can't help myself from correcting.

Re: Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?Soultaker07/03/2009 - 18:40

[quote author=jmleleven link=topic=1899.msg13422#msg13422 date=1246629013]
*you mean linux support, not windows support, right? I can't help myself from correcting.
Whoops yeah, that was what I meant.

Re: Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?flying sheep08/19/2009 - 21:08

+1
i would like a linux version, too.
why use windows if you can use linux?

Re: Thanks, but any chance of Linux version?etampl01/16/2010 - 21:00

+1

Please don't support the monopoly of windows. Support the gaming under linux.
I love you, 2D Boy!