HRM Gameplay Review

No replies

After playing World of Goo and Little Inferno, I pre-bought HRM without thinking twice. But if you're wondering if it's worth the dough, here's my review (and I haven't finished all the levels).

On each level, you are assigned a task to complete by assembling lines of code. What it all comes down to is thinking logically and mathematically. Having some knowledge about programming really helps, but I think some people could get the hang of the game. Others simply won't, and I can see them getting really frustrated, giving up, and wishing they hadn't wasted $9.99 on a game they won't play again.

There isn't much of a story going on, much less than Little Inferno. Also I find it kind of ironic after watching the creators talk about the mistakes they learned from while making Little Inferno. One was that the game stage changed very little, yet here in HRM we have even less variety. I do enjoy the music and the humor portrayed by your bosses and co-workers.

I don't see the value in saying one game is better than the others, so I won't. If I want to play World of Goo, I'll play WOG and not wish that HRM was more like WOG. (Same goes for LI.)

Personally, although I haven't had time to play all the levels, I love HRM. While LI had its quirky appeal, HRM challenges me much more on an intellectual level. I get excited about each new assignment, and find myself thinking about the process until I come up with the solution. I can see myself finishing the game and wishing there were lots more levels, and even wishing I could come up with some more levels to challenge others.

Please post your own comments, as it looks like there isn't a HRM fan forum yet.

Scott