Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)XDboy03/31/2009 - 20:10

Update:
Fly Her to the Moon is now available on goofans.com

--------------------
Hi everybody!

So, I created this level, Fly Her To The Moon, and was working on it for ages, but can't really call it ready.

It lacks graphics: maybe a World of Goo Corporation space station, maybe a space ship, a satellite, a planet...  or you could remake everything, so that it's all in one style. 8)
If you are good at graphics and want to help me out, that would be great.
Other areas where i'd appreciate your help and input would be beta-testing, general ideas to improve the level, better sign texts(en/de), music, particle fx expertise...

If you are interested, please contact me via PM or  just write in this thread.

The core concept of traveling from the earth to the moon, and the way how you have to do that is carved in stone.
The details, and the way from the moon to the exit are subjects to change.

Parts of the level and my thoughts and questions (don't read on if you're not that interested ;) )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
earth

some rotating cloud layers would be nice, wouldn't they? not the World of Goo version, more like the real atmosphere.

antigravity goo holder

i put some of those fixed anchors in space, because they are needed -or at least useful- for the gameplay. but otherwise it dont makes sense, that they ar there, so i have to disguise them, or think of an entirly new level structure...
disguising anchor with: spaceship (wich is open and the ivy strand is floating out of it)? satellite? any other ideas? and can you draw that?^^

exit + gorb square + transparent pipe

- The "Gorb square" isn't the nicest thing, alternatives would be: a gorb cube? other spaceship/station? death star? just something evil to destroy...

- the pipe dissolving into nothingness? is that ok? would you like transmitter particle fx to the earth? or should the pipe just go till the end of the screen somewhere? or into  a WoG Corp spacestation?

meteor + 19th BeautyProduct

- meteor has to look better. you wanna draw one?^^
OCD BeautyProduct and black goo strand... where should it be? how to disguise the anchor? black circle (although a fixed strand of 2 black goo makes no sense either^^)?
maybe the black strand should be deleted and BeautyProduct hidden somewhere. there could be more than one. but that would make the level last even longer, if you want OCD, and it takes already some time, even if you know how to do it...

moon + galaxy + beauty goo constellation

- does the moon need to be goo-ified?
- is the galaxy/Beauty constellation a good idea? (I put the galaxy in just so i didn't need to draw something else, like a piano-, hammer-, "100000... tons"-, or saw constellation ;) )
--   if you think it is, could you draw a better version of the beauty constellation? :D
--   if you think it's not, what would be more fitting? and could you draw that, too? ;)

- should the anchors be disguised? with sattelites? sth. else? or should there be something else entirely?

signs:
- too much text, but i didn't even put in "I can see Alaska from my spaceship." or something along the lines of "Dont worry, the moon's still there."
- no hinting at the detaching level walls, what the dust circles stand for, ...no direct hints how to leave the moon and get to the pipe... are they nessecary?
- no mention that everything comes back to one of the three gravity centers (earth, moon, exit) and nothing will ever be lost in space.
(i did that because i can't use timebugs because of the moving hinged objects above the moon, it's also the reason why i don't have anything deadly in the level.)
- no mention of dark matter goo (the strands of black goo)
- the signs need to be integrated better. (there is nearly nothing to put signpoles in right now ;) )

something completely different:
does the level need more decorative stuff? planet(s) in the background?

particle fx:
- is there a way to make an ambientparticleeffect for blinking stars? i put some single star particle effects in the level, cause i dont know how to do that.
- the fx of the antigrav goos is something that i play around with endlessly... i think in it's current form its a bit overkill, does it slow down... erm... slow PCs? 
generally i'd be interessted in anyones experience with particle fx.

music:

i haven't put in music yet, but i think i could use Cobalt Blue Sphere http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/112168 or a part of it. (edit: i've put it in the level (ver.0.3))
if you think you know/have done/can make/mix/find better fitting music for the level, that i can freely use, let me know. :)

Thanks for your interest.
- the Sign P... XDboy ;)

Last modified Fri, 07/03/2009 - 07:55 by XDboy
Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)mmckenna1103/31/2009 - 20:21

I will help if you help me go to my post plz
(I rally do need help and you are the only one that can fix the problem)

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)MattOG04/01/2009 - 00:38

I had an almost complete moon chapter. Finished 10 out of 12 levels. Then an error copying from my Mem Stick to my computer wiped my stick and corrupted the folders..  :'( :'(

I still have 2 finished levels (they copied before the error), and a few of the graphics that I drew. I'll have a look at the level, and post some ideas/graphics when I get a chance.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)XDboy04/01/2009 - 07:46

[quote author=MattOG link=topic=1724.msg11276#msg11276 date=1238564317]
I had an almost complete moon chapter. Finished 10 out of 12 levels. Then an error copying from my Mem Stick to my computer wiped my stick and corrupted the folders..  :'( :'(

Oh, shit!  :(

Quote:

I still have 2 finished levels (they copied before the error), and a few of the graphics that I drew. I'll have a look at the level, and post some ideas/graphics when I get a chance.

Yay!  ;D

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)MattOG04/01/2009 - 12:59

Meh, wasn't as much saved as I thought...  :-\

Going to publish the one complete level I have...

Any 'useful' images I have I've put here

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x231/FR4G1L3/Goo/

Check them and see.

If you have an idea for something, let me know, I don't mind drawing them up.

Not had chance to look at the level yet.... will do soon.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)XDboy04/04/2009 - 08:56

[quote author=MattOG link=topic=1724.msg11290#msg11290 date=1238608745]
Meh, wasn't as much saved as I thought...  :-\

That's a pity.

Thanks for publishing the images.

Quote:
If you have an idea for something, let me know, I don't mind drawing them up.

Not had chance to look at the level yet.... will do soon.

As you read in the thread starting post i have a couple of ideas (for graphics), but am not so sure which i should use.
when you have time to look into the level, i'd like to hear your thoughts especially on the issues of covering the goo anchors with space related images,
and if you would change the "Gorb Square" (just with a better image, or to replace it with something else)

I'm still waiting for input from the people here.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)30jon04/08/2009 - 09:14

you could make the exit a black hole.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)XDboy04/08/2009 - 09:52

yeah, i've thought about that, too, but how would you make a black hole work gameplaywise?
i mean, it would suck in everything by default... it wouldn't be a challenge to get there ;)

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Stickybomb6704/08/2009 - 14:45

[quote author=XDboy link=topic=1724.msg11512#msg11512 date=1239202343]
yeah, i've thought about that, too, but how would you make a black hole work gameplaywise?
i mean, it would suck in everything by default... it wouldn't be a challenge to get there ;)

Maybe the Goo Planet from the ending!

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)ZomBuster04/21/2009 - 12:02

Mhh I think I could draw up some WoG style space stuff.

I'll post it when get the time for it.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)XDboy04/21/2009 - 14:35

[quote author=ZomBuster link=topic=1724.msg11865#msg11865 date=1240333378]
Mhh I think I could draw up some WoG style space stuff.

I'll post it when get the time for it.

that would be cool.  :)

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)vonboy04/21/2009 - 20:15

needs more cowbell!

other than that, maybe some kind of object that has negative gravity [will push stuff away] if thats even possible.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)XDboy04/22/2009 - 05:42

erm what? cowbells?
just kidding or do you speak of losing goos in space?
that's why i gave space detaching borders, so even if the antigravity goos fly away, they will fall back to one of the 3 gravity centers (just as every other goo). and the particle trails help you follow them sometimes, too.

an antigravity zone is possible, i'll think about that. but it could get a bit confusing, given that you already have the antigrav goos...

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Cacafuego06/29/2009 - 02:29

Ha, that's interesting.  The very first level I built was space-themed, playing with gravity.  It's very simple - you start with Goos attracted to a "planet" (used stock image from the game) that is rotating about 15rpm.  You need to build toward a pipe which just barely has enough force to keep the structure from spinning around past the pipe.  The "challenge", if there is one, is to add goos while they're moving on the spinning "planet".

Yours looks interesting!

Attachment: FinalFrontier.jpg (95.91 KB, 264 downloads)
Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)jmleleven06/29/2009 - 07:41

Well, you need to put it on www.GooFans.com so we can  play it, and put it in .goomod format first.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Cacafuego06/29/2009 - 08:22

I will, let me A) make a slightly more interesting level, and B) spend some time figuring out how to convert these files to .goomod format =)

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Stickybomb6706/29/2009 - 12:30

[quote author=Cacafuego link=topic=1724.msg13301#msg13301 date=1246260542]
Ha, that's interesting.  The very first level I built was space-themed, playing with gravity.  It's very simple - you start with Goos attracted to a "planet" (used stock image from the game) that is rotating about 15rpm.  You need to build toward a pipe which just barely has enough force to keep the structure from spinning around past the pipe.  The "challenge", if there is one, is to add goos while they're moving on the spinning "planet".

Yours looks interesting!

I'm afraid davidc beat you to the punch on that one, man.
You also need GooTool to install levels to the game.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Cacafuego06/29/2009 - 15:26

Ha - you're right, his level "Rotating Planet" is almost exactly the same, albeit with slightly, uh, different art for the planet.  =)

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Stickybomb6706/30/2009 - 18:49

[quote author=Cacafuego link=topic=1724.msg13324#msg13324 date=1246307189]
Ha - you're right, his level "Rotating Planet" is almost exactly the same, albeit with slightly, uh, different art for the planet.  =)

:D No, the planets look exactly the same, once you subtract the eyes, mouth, purple, and texture.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)XDboy07/03/2009 - 07:47

Just in case anyone on here didn't notice already:

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Stickybomb6707/03/2009 - 14:14

[quote author=XDboy link=topic=1724.msg13416#msg13416 date=1246625235]
Just in case anyone on here didn't notice already:

WOOT!

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)jmleleven07/03/2009 - 14:21

I can't even knock the beauty to the moon.

Re: Artists and ideas for improvement wanted! (unfinished space level)Pavke07/03/2009 - 14:35

[quote author=jmleleven link=topic=1724.msg13434#msg13434 date=1246648906]
I can't even knock the beauty to the moon.

Use ivy to make a "spaceship" and use antigravity goos to fly her to the moon.