World of Goo Portable -- New version 0.21!

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
World of Goo Portable -- New version 0.21!GMMan11/29/2009 - 00:03

Download, screenshot, and more at GooFans.com:
http://goofans.com/download/utility/world-of-goo-portable

Alternative download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2mytmygntnw/WorldOfGooPortable021.zip

Finally, what all Goo fans are waiting for: a way to carry World of Goo with them wherever they go! World of Goo Portable is a fully functioning World of Goo launcher that can automatically copy profiles between the host computer and a portable device, allowing you to continue your World of Goo journey without manually copying profiles.

Features include:

[li]Automatic profile copying[/li]
    [li]Support for both the demo and the full version of World of Goo[/li]
    [li]Preservation of local profile if it exists[/li]
    [li]One-click profile transfer between WoG Portable, local WoG full version, and local WoG demo version[/li]
    [li]New! Automatic launching after a countdown[/li]
    [li]Support for GooTool and modded World of Goo[/li]
    [li]Convenient links to Goo related websites[/li]
    [li]Compatible with Windows Vista/7[/li]
    [li]Compatible with 64-bit machines[/li]

To use World of Goo Portable, you'll need:

[li]Windows (preferably Windows 2000 and above)[/li]
    [li]Copy of World of Goo (demo or full) installed locally[/li]

World of Goo Portable will copy World of Goo from the computer that you are running it the first time you run the launcher, so make sure that World of Goo is installed.

Explanation of features will follow later.

Bugs? Problems? Post it in this thread and I'll try to answer/fix them.

Best Wishes,
GMMan

Note: This would likely be the last feature-implementation release. Source code has beem uploaded so that the developers out there can pick out some bugs. Also on the horizon: a new framework for making portable game launchers, which World of Goo Portable will be converted to. Stay tuned!
P. S. Thread on GooFans.com: http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/general-discussion/831

Last modified Fri, 04/30/2010 - 22:01 by GMMan
World of Goo Portable Q&AGMMan11/29/2009 - 13:15

Q&A

1. Q: Why would I use this?
A: If you'd like to keep your profiles current when playing World of Goo from a USB stick or a similar portable device, this is for you. This program helps compensate for World of Goo saving profiles into places that are not easy to access, therefore complicating the portableness of it. The program will copy your profile to the local computer when launching World of Goo and will move back your profile to your portable device after World of Goo exits. This requires no user interaction except for running World of Goo Portable, and clicking Play.

2. Q: Is it safe to use?
A: Of course. World of Goo Portable never did and never will contain malware or viruses. Trust it the same as World of Goo or GooTool, and even more, as World of Goo portable will never connect with the Internet for any reason whatsoever. I won't spy on your profile, and that's a promise.

3. Q: The launcher tells me that it can't find the configuration file. What do I do?
A: Simply reextract all the contents of the .zip file, and then you should be ready to go. Make sure that the app, data, and cfg folders are in the same folder as WorldOfGooPortable.exe.

4. I get a box that asks me to locate World of Goo. Why?
A: This means that the launcher can't find World of Goo in its default location. All you need to do is type in or browse to the folder where you installed World of Goo. Make sure you select the folder where all the World of Goo stuff is in, not its parent folder.

5. I tried again and again but the launcher informs me that copying failed. How do I fix it?
A: First, make sure you've actually got World of Goo installed on the computer you're using. Either the full version or the demo are fine. If installed, and the launcher still gives you the error, manually copy all the contents of the World of Goo folder into the app folder where you extracted World of Goo Portable.

6. I know what the Play button does. But what are all those options in the Profile menu?
A: This menu contains ways for you to transfer your profile between the full, demo, and portable versions. But first, a bit of background info. Somewhere along the way, 2D Boy changed the profile location between engine 1.0 (demo) and engine 1.30. In the demo engine, the profiles were stored in

(To be finished...)

Last modified Mon, 11/30/2009 - 22:00 by GMMan
World of Goo Portable ChangelogGMMan11/29/2009 - 13:17

Changelog

[0.21 Beta] (April 30, 2010)

[li]Issue with profiles left behind on host computer fixed[/li]
    [li]Now 100% portable (detection and deletion routine for 2DBoy profile folder implemented)[/li]
    [li]Automatic launching (option in Options dialog box is now enabled and improved)[/li]
    [li]Check for modded World of Goo implemented (option and button for modded World of Goo is disabled if a modded installation is not found)[/li]
    [li]I think there's something else, but I can't remember what it was...[/li]

[0.2 Beta] (December 5, 2009)

[li]GooTool Portable is implemented[/li]
    [li]"Can't find" routine improved[/li]
    [li]More version info added[/li]

[0.12 Beta] (November 30, 2009)

[li]Existing profile is now copied after first run[/li]
    [li]Changed installed World of Goo detection so that 32-bit Windows running on a 64-bit processor is properly detected[/li]
    [li]Version info added into .exe[/li]

[0.11 Beta] (November 29, 2009)

[li]World of Goo type detection routine reflected in checkbox (and vice-versa)[/li]
    [li]Added license: Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License[/li]
    [li]Source code tidied up[/li]
    [li]Junk from failed PortableApps.com Installer creation removed from package[/li]

[0.1 Beta] (November 28, 2009) [Initial Release]

[li]Initial release. All components except for Windows Vista/7 and 64-bit support tested and should be working properly.[/li]

Last modified Fri, 04/30/2010 - 19:55 by GMMan
Re: Release: World of Goo Portable 0.1 BetaNic Freed11/29/2009 - 20:49

Neat! Might take time to try it out later! Thanks a bunch!

Re: Release: World of Goo Portable 0.12 BetaFloatingFish8811/30/2009 - 21:04

Can you put it on an iPod?

Re: Release: World of Goo Portable 0.12 BetaGMMan12/01/2009 - 10:45

[quote author=FloatingFish88 link=topic=2336.msg15521#msg15521 date=1259633074]
Can you put it on an iPod?

Definitely, as long as disk mode is enabled and you are not using an iPod touch. Do remember that this is a Windows version, so it won't run on your iPod but would run from it.

Re: Release: World of Goo Portable 0.12 BetaGMMan12/04/2009 - 17:21

I managed to test World of Goo Portable this morning on a 64-bit Windows Vista computer, and I'm glad to say that it works, even with the demo version. I've changed the first post to reflect it.

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!GMMan12/05/2009 - 23:38

Exciting news: World of Goo Portable now supports GooTool! Now you can also run modded World of Goo along with an unmodded version. If davidc hasn't uploaded the new version, use the alternative download link to get it.

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!seanl02/13/2010 - 19:46

Does it need GooTool?

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!GMMan02/13/2010 - 19:51

Um. No. Can you get smart?

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!seanl02/13/2010 - 19:56

Usllally, I could not download it, it always says " Could not find World of Goo, maybe you haven't install it yet, The Disappointed Sign Painter" but I have installed it.

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!GMMan02/13/2010 - 22:06

You need to point the program to where you've installed World of Goo. I hope you know where it is.

Hey, mass spammer, you were at 80-something just this morning. Congrats on your 100th. Now spam less and take it easy.

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!seanl02/14/2010 - 00:57

I found it but they did not found it.

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!GMMan02/14/2010 - 11:19

Did you use the "Browse..." button? You have to select the folder WoG is in and click OK.

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!seanl02/14/2010 - 12:48

Browse?

Re: World of Goo Portable -- Now with support for GooTool!GMMan02/14/2010 - 13:06

When you open WoG Portable without WoG copied, it'll try to automatically find WoG and copy it. If it can't find it, it'll present you with a box asking you to find WoG. On that box is a textbox and a button labeled "Browse..." Click on it and select your World of Goo program folder. Click OK, and then OK.

New release: 0.21GMMan04/30/2010 - 18:54

The new 0.21 Beta is out now. It includes several enhancements, and a fix to a moderate bug. Get your copy now!

Update: The source code has been uploaded.

Last modified Fri, 04/30/2010 - 22:01 by GMMan