old WOG fan; late to the community

12 replies [Last post]

hello, WOG is one of my favorite video games, and it is the first computer game I ever played. despite this, I've never thought to interact with the community until now. it's sad to see that these forums are inactive and spammy; I mourn forums in general as a medium, and I wish they'd make a comeback.

in any case, I was wondering if any of you could help me with something. I got the game originally on the CD-ROM, and over the years I repurchased it for iOS and then the switch. I'd like to get a copy to play on my linux PC for modding and such. is there any way I can do this without purchasing the game for the fourth time?

hello citrons

there's an official goofans discord server

i can send you an invite if you want

Nerdy Z is coming.

I consider discord to be quite harmful and will not use it.

I think that a bridge to matrix, IRC, or XMPP should be considered.

There used to be a goofans IRC but it got replaced by the Discord, probably because the former died out.

Unfortunately I can't give helpful advice because I've never owned the CD-ROM version of World of Goo, but I wanted to mention that if you're modding the game, do not buy World of Goo. The new version of World of Goo has different file formats, making it incompatible for modding, and the old version isn't being distributed anymore.
I know some people have the installer for the old version, but it's an .exe file and considering you have Linux that's a bit of an issue (unless something like Wine would work).

I made goomods.

gooey goo wrote:
Unfortunately I can't give helpful advice because I've never owned the CD-ROM version of World of Goo,

ah, it's ok. I emailed support, and kyle himself has set me up with a download link!
gooey goo wrote:
but I wanted to mention that if you're modding the game, do not buy World of Goo. The new version of World of Goo has different file formats, making it incompatible for modding, and the old version isn't being distributed anymore.

well, I do want the updated version anyway. I think I can obtain the old version "somewhere".

is gootool unmaintained? it would be nice if it were updated to support the new file formats, especially since part of the update was meant to explicitly make modding easier.

gooey goo wrote:

I know some people have the installer for the old version, but it's an .exe file and considering you have Linux that's a bit of an issue (unless something like Wine would work).

wine does work. it just doesn't work as well as a native program.

gooey goo wrote:
There used to be a goofans IRC

what if there was a new one? (:

citrons wrote:
ah, it's ok. I emailed support, and kyle himself has set me up with a download link!

Glad to hear!
citrons wrote:
I think I can obtain the old version "somewhere".

That's probably your best bet. Otherwise I could "help" you get the windows installer via email, if that works for you.
citrons wrote:
is gootool unmaintained? it would be nice if it were updated to support the new file formats, especially since part of the update was meant to explicitly make modding easier.

Gootool is not maintained as far as I'm aware, otherwise people probably wouldn't have an issue with it not installing properly due to some Java thing. And that's the ironic thing, the decrypting made it completely incompatible with Gootool and the editors. It's not a straightforward fix either because they also changed the cutscene file formats, and those are still encrypted. I recall someone on the Discord attempting to decrypt those files though, if that gets anywhere maybe they'll upload it here.
citrons wrote:
what if there was a new one? (:

I don't think anybody would stop you, but it probably wouldn't become official either. I don't think it'd get much use because of that, but depending on who you ask maybe that's a good thing.

On another note, you may want to edit your posts to add new messages instead of creating a new post altogether.

I made goomods.

gooey goo wrote:
That's probably your best bet. Otherwise I could "help" you get the windows installer via email, if that works for you.

that would be nice. I'm reachable at stuff@mondecitronne.com.

gooey goo wrote:
Gootool is not maintained as far as I'm aware, otherwise people probably wouldn't have an issue with it not installing properly due to some Java thing. And that's the ironic thing, the decrypting made it completely incompatible with Gootool and the editors. It's not a straightforward fix either because they also changed the cutscene file formats, and those are still encrypted. I recall someone on the Discord attempting to decrypt those files though, if that gets anywhere maybe they'll upload it here.

well, in that case, I might take a look at it.

gooey goo wrote:
I don't think anybody would stop you, but it probably wouldn't become official either. I don't think it'd get much use because of that, but depending on who you ask maybe that's a good thing.

I think you're right in that I probably would have trouble getting anyone to talk there.

citrons wrote:
I'm reachable at [your address].

You may wanna censor your address (i.e. replacing @ with (at), . with (dot)). I recall hearing something along the lines that it'll prevent spammers, but then again it might not make much of a difference. Just thought I'd mention.

I made goomods.

stuff@mondecitronne.com is my public address. it's on my website. I do get spam sometimes, but it hasn't been a problem. I don't see it necessary to obfuscate it; I think people are more likely to email me if they can just copy/paste the address, haha.

it took me until now to actually get the download link (I had trouble receiving the email from the receptionistbot), but the download page has the 2008 and 2019 version for each platform. I was able to get the 2008 linux version!

Well, I guess my suggestion for checking the Internet Archive won't matter. (That's where I got my WoG copy.)

One ore note: I do agree with citrons in the respect that I'm not a big fan of the GooFans Discord, too. Mostly because of the multiple uses of the f-word, but that's another post...

-the Sign Painter, a goofan since 2017

My youtube channel for random meaningless content