Hey,whats the best way to build a tower

4 replies [Last post]

Wanted to make it on the the top 10 so just wanted help ......
Thanks

_Gooball_Collector_

If you'd had a quick look in the General Discussion Forum you would have come across this.

http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/general-discussion/1705

Well. he is new here and I think the topic merits more discussion than "build this tower" so I'm going to cut him some slack. Peter is right though, in general if you want a tall tower quick, look at tall tower designs and copy them.

Even better, learn from them. There are lots of things you can play around with -- tension, trying to maximize gooball usage (where half of them do not end up as struts), where to put holes in your structure while keeping strength, etc. One older helpful youtube video (besides Peter's, who is obviously a master at this) is:

Learn where your profile is stored on your computer and back it up often, it is really slow going to build a tower from scratch every time you screw something up and it falls Smile For example on my linux box, World of Goo stores my profile at ~/.WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat. (you can also use gootool for this, except you will have a lot of intermediate towers on your profile page which I prefer not to do)

The first thing you need to do is collect 300 balls (which is the max) in World of Goo Corporation so you can even reach your full-height awesomeness Smile

And maybe practice that final rush to the top. Once you finish the single-player game you should be more comfortable with this.

Hope this helps,
--buck

Its good of you to write all that. But more than likely he wont succeed. I hope to be proven wrong.
Re. the vid. I find that there is no point in putting tension on anything, it doesn’t make it any more stable. This guy just isn’t building it properly.
Also, most towers aren’t build with holes in them, you remove balls later on.
Counter weights can be useful, but its best to just kick the tower straight with the goo. Also, if counter weights have to be left in place, it just means more balls are wasted. eg, look at skiz0r's tower.

It's funny you mention skiz0r's tower. For ball-saving purposes I agree there was a better solution (like the one you took) than the counterweight. However I also think skiz0r's tower is actually a good example of finishing well. (S)he gets like ... 18 gooballs single-file (I don't know the terminology) at the top, not crazy-good like you and Kamal, but still really good, and as a result beats out several other towers that would otherwise have been higher.

Of course my highest tower is like 33m so take everything I say w/a grain of salt Tongue

Props to all the peeps who got top-10 this month btw, and nice job w/the 200-ball tower.