[Solved - no widescreen support on some levels] Gootool will crash on certain levels

10 replies [Last post]

On loading of some levels (Far Lands and Sandbox are two of the four I've tried that do), Gootool will crash. Here's a clean log file (deleted before running Far Lands):

http://pastebin.com/m1c77e0f0

Using:

Linux 64bit (Arch Linux)
Openjdk

FYI if someone wants to add verbose debugging to the FAQ for Linux. logger_properties is stored in /etc/gootool/logger_properties.txt in the debian package (.deb).

Is it GooTool or World of Goo itself that's crashing though?

FAQ updated, thanks.

Oop, actually World of Goo itself is the one that crashed.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Can you specify more exactly which levels crash (Far Lands consists of 8 levels, for example) and at what time they do (on load, occasionally, etc.)?

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

thB wrote:
Can you specify more exactly which levels crash (Far Lands consists of 8 levels, for example) and at what time they do (on load, occasionally, etc.)?

Thanks for the replies, davidc and thB. Guess I could have been more verbose there Laughing out loud. Yeah, for Far Lands both level one and two work fine, I've tested all the rest now (3-8) and WoG crashes. The crashing occurs right before levels loads (i.e. it will show the level title for a few seconds then crashes). Same thing for the Sandbox level.

I've tried a couple of more levels since and the levels that I've not had a problem with are: Industrial Oven, Server Bytes Back, Air Tunnel, Jingle Balls. If there are any other details I could include, please let me know.

Are you playing WoG in widescreen?

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

lol, how could you possibly guess that?

hmm, is that... bad?

Ah Pavke, looks to be part of the crash.

I tried a few resolutions:

1280x1024 - Far Land lvl 3 crashes still
1280x960 - "
1024x768 - Far Land lvl 3&4 run!, Sandbox crashes
800x600 - "

Is there anything I can do on my part to fix this?

I think not. Except editing every goomod to your resolution... The new Far Lands 1.0v has widescreen support, download it and try again.

I would suggest you play in 800x600 because in higher resolution you get nothing except smaller cursor and hard time with the mouse, you have to drag it all over the table to get anywhere with the cursor....

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Well, I like playing on the big screen with a big resolution. Imo it looks way, way better. Even more, when you just use your monitor's native resolution, of course.
So I also had many custom levels that wouldn't run (1920x1080, widescreen), but crash on load instead. After finding out that they all worked fine in 4x3 and 5x4 resolutions (1024x768, etc.) it was easy to confirm they were all missing a "widescreen" camera perspective, that every level needs to have to run, well, on widescreen resolutions.
So the only thing to do for those levels is to manually edit them and hope for level authors to keep that in mind for their future projects.

Pavke:
Never had mouse problems in high resolutions. It just needs to be configured properly, I think.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Thanks for the help guys, hadn't heard about the the widescreen support needed for levels. Marking as solved.