WoG Portable: To PortableApps or not to?

No replies

Just before the release of 0.21, I was thinking whether or not I should package my program in the PortableApps Format. I thought it would be a good fit because my program is actually designed to be portable. However, upon further reading up on the format, I decided that the format may not be the best way of packaging it. Here's what I was thinking:

• Although both PortableApps and WoG Portable are designed as portable programs, the release goals are not the same. PortableApps release new versions of the actual program, while WoG Portable releases are updates to the launcher.
  • PortableApps launchers are extremely simple, only setting environment variables and giving command-line options to the program. However, WoG Portable shuffles files around, and is actually a pre-launch GUI more than a command-line passer.
  • The PortableApps installation routine removes the old app folder and replaces it with a new one. However, that behaviour is not beneficiary in the case of WoG Portable, as WoG never updates.
  • To extend the above point, PortableApps can distribute those programs freely because they are open-source. On the contrary, World of Goo is under a proprietary license.
  • To modify the PortableApps installer will be a pain in the butt, because there are so many things that has to be changed. On the other side, WoG Portable will be easier to upgrade.
  • Chances are that PortableApps Launcher will wreck havoc with the installation routine, especially if it replaces the app folder as said on their page.
  • Those are the reasons that I didn't release WoG Portable as a PortableApps package. However, it doesn't mean that I'm going to completely stop considering it. All feedback on this matter is welcomed and appreciated.

Cross-linked with the 2D Boy forums: http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2809.0.html (I can't edit the main post, if a mod can merge it, thanks.)
    -Grant

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!