Gootool and java 8 on linux

1 reply [Last post]

When I try to run gootool on debian (with java 8 installed) I get message in console:

"GooTool requires Java 1.5 or 1.6. You have Java 1.8.
See http://goofans.com/gootool/troubleshooting/linux-java"

Here: http://goofans.com/download/utility/gootool it says that I need "Java 1.5.0 or greater". So according to gootool version 1.8 < version 1.5.
Do I REALLY need to install java 6?

Note: I installed it from .deb package.

//EDIT:
Apparently it works with java 8 (at least it starts). When I cd to /usr/share/gootool and run it manually:
java -cp gootool.jar:jsch-0.1.42.jar:lcrypto-jdk15141.jar:AppleJavaExtensions.jar:uiruntime.jar com.goofans.gootool.GooTool
It works.
But why authors of gootool couldn't predict that newer versions of java will be released?

//EDIT2:
It doesn't seem to work. At first it couldn't detect my steam WorldOfGoo installation (I had to copy WorldOfGoo executable and rename the copy too WorldOfGoo.bin).
The it started successfully.
When I tried to run it with gootool (after changing language) it created it;s own copy of WoG and... did nothing.
So I tried to run it manually:
./WorldOfGoo.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
So I installed libsdl1.2debian:i386.
But after that it complains that it can't find libsteam_api.so.
Is it possible to use gootool with steam version of WorldOfGoo on linux?
Or is it possible to use gootool with steam version at all?
If so, how to do that?

//EDIT3:
I finally got it working.
For those who have the same problem in the future (I couldn't find anything on google):
After gootool copied WorldOfGoo to other folder I had to do this:
ln -s "$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/World of Goo/libs32" "/location/of/modded/worldofgoo/"
Optionally repeat the above for icons and docs directories.
cd "location/of/modded/worldofgoo"
echo 22000 > steam_appid.txt
and if WorldOfGoo.bin is not executable:
chmod +x WorldOfGoo.bin

I don't know how to do it on windows

EDIT 4:
The fix for gootool not starting turns out to be simple.
The issue is in gootool sh script.
I changed

if [ "${JAVA_VERSION}" != "1.5." -a "${JAVA_VERSION}" != "1.6." ]; then

to

if [ "${JAVA_VERSION}" = "1.1." -o "${JAVA_VERSION}" = "1.2." -o "${JAVA_VERSION}" = "1.3." -o "${JAVA_VERSION}" = "1.4." ]; then

and it starts normally with 'gootool' command.

Yeah, that gootool shell script testing for 1.5 or 1.6 only is quite annoying. Glad you got it sorted! For some reason, I thought I had that solution in a stickied post, but I guess not. So you can be the first!