Gootool + Mac + Steam Problem!!

7 replies [Last post]

Hello everyone.
I have my copy of WOG installed via Steam on a Mac.
When I try to install mod with GooTool I...
• Make a copy of WOD located at ∼/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/world of goo/World of Goo.app
• Download / Install mods (levels mostly)
• Save and Launch the game.

The problem is that my Mac opens Steam and launches the original (not modded) copy of WOG and of course i can't play additional levels.
How could this be fixed?

Thx a lot for your help guys.
Warnek

--
Warnek

I suspect the Steam version has some code in it that detects whether it's running under Steam, and if not, launches Steam to load the game.

I can't think of a way around this except perhaps to trying adding 'my custom world of goo' to Steam - assuming the Mac version has such an option.

-davidc

Tried it and it still opens Original WOG.
I think the problem is that the "copy" that GooTool makes from Steam is kinda an alias to the game and not a proper copy.
In other words maybe the file i take is wrong or is related to steam in some ways that don't allow to modify it.
Is there any other mac user experiencing the same problem?

--
Warnek

It makes a full copy of the game, including the original EXE without modification, so I think my initial theory is right - if the game detects that it's not running under Steam, it launches Steam in order to re-launch itself.

I am not sure there's any way around this as I can't distribute a non-Steam executable.

-davidc

Actually, I doubt Steam does any verification of the data files, so one thing you could try is

- MOVE the Steam original game out of the Steam directory to, for example, Desktop/Original World of Goo
- Set GooTool to use Desktop/Original World of Goo as the source
- Set GooTool to use [Steam]/.../World of Goo (where the game originally was) as the destination

See if that helps?

Nice idea! I'll try and i'll let you know buddy

--
Warnek

IT WORKS!! Smile Thx a lot dude.
/kiss
Laughing out loud

--
Warnek

A problem with that approach may be Steam replacing the modded files when you do a manual verification. So don't do a manual verification. (Say, would WoG crash if you directly execute it through the terminal? [I don't use Macs, so I'm basing presumptions off of Linux...])

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!