Installing levels and addons problem MintDebian [SOLVED]

7 replies [Last post]

Hello. I've been playing Goo for quite a while now and just found out about the "new levels and mods" and the whole GooTool thing while researching just how to get OCD on some levels (I'd never figure out half of 'em with youtube...anyway...) So I excitedly downloaded the GooTool and tried to use it.

So I installed the GooTool using the .deb file and everything seemed to work as it should. It's it my game menu anyway. I navigate my firefox browser to a page with the "install with gootool" button and click it and my first problem is I do not have an "open with gootool" option...I do have an "open with [browse]" button though and browsed to "/usr/bin/gootool".

This doesn't work. So I tried using the "save as" and then tried opening the file from my hard drive using the "open with" command from there...still no joy.

From here I'm stuck. When most people think of a linux user they think of some L33T HAX0R, I'm not a noob but I'm no guru either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT -
OKAY...so I just got the bright idea to run it from the terminal and got an error message...my java is too new...who knew? right? I need 1.5 or 1.6, I can't be using 1.7?!?! wow okay...now what. Time to revert?

EDIT2 - the Java site wont even serve up the 1.6 install files as far as I can tell. It's late here and I'm frustrated, I think I'll go to bed. I hope one of you folks will know what I need to do if so thanks in advance, I'll check back as soon as I can tomorrow, 12-14hrs from now.

MykB.

Ahh, yes. I think I remember the Java-version-has-to-be-1.6 thing from when I last tried to install it. The good news is that you can install Java 1.6 and Java 1.7 on the same machine without issues.

http://goofans.com/gootool/troubleshooting/linux-java Has some pointers on installing Java 1.6 (Back when Java 1.5 was the most common version on Linux). Some of the information may still be relevant.

You may be able to get a Java 1.6 that works for you from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-arc...

I'm running Linux Mint on one of my boxes, myself, so if you run into trouble, I can do my best to install Java 1.6 and let you know how I did it.

Thanks for the info MOM4. I'll give it a go. I sure will be disappointed if I can't get this to work. I have a little time to mess with right now so....here I go...thanks!

MykB.

Last night I was drunk and excited, today I'm sober and I'm thinking...it's not worth it. Really if there was a nice neat lil .deb somewhere...but there's not so....this is linux's biggest draw back. I wish I had noticed gootool back before JAVA got to be so new that it wouldn't work with it any longer. Alls I can say is it's a damn shame gootool hasn't been updated to work with the new java. Really, if it's not buggy, this is something they could charge for. IF it worked with no problem I would be more than happy to pay a few $$ for an expansion pack. I've played all the levels a thousand times and I'm getting board with them but I will probably play them a 1000 times more anyway. It's a shame there are not more games like world of goo and it's a crying shame this expansion tool has been let to go waste. NO ONE WANTS TO USE THE OLD VERSION OF SOFTWARE TO MAKE YOUR STUFF WORK.

MykB.

Hi, Mykool.
First off, GooTool (as well as this site) is entirely fanmade, so it'd be pretty illegal to charge money for expansion packs... not to mention it may even be against 2DBoy's standpoint on what a good business model is.
GooTool does work "no problem" with Linux; I've run it multiple times before. If I recall correctly, I got Java 1.6 installed without much of a hassle last time. It just took some time with Google and a bit of know-how.
For the time being, I've reported this issue on GooTool's bug tracker, so davidc might see it. He doesn't come on here much, however. My previous offer does still stand; if you want me to, I can do my best to install Java 1.6 on my own Mint box and give you a step-by-step process for it. I've already got World of Goo/GooTool installed with the same issue of no Java 1.6 showing up, so I'm ready to go.

Whatever the case, I would advise to not just give up if you can't get something working immediately. Oftentimes, just a bit of configuring can get things working on Linux.

(moved forum topic to GooTool discussion)

Where did you find 2dboy.com/TopSecretTransfer and why is it top secret? Shock

I have no idea who originally found the TopSecretTransfer stuff. It was probably 2DBoy themselves putting the files there for customer support or something. I personally found it off an Ubuntu forum thread (See here). Regardless, distributing .dlls or other such shared objects isn't generally a good idea, hence "Top Secret." In this case, replacing some shared object files in Linux fixes a crash-on-launch bug, so it's pretty nice. Smile