linux pricing

1 reply [Last post]

i am not willing to pay 4x the windows price for the linux version. recently i have bought a lot indie games that are available for linux:) eg cortex command because it has a good idea sadly fucked up game-play, inside a star filled sky ... i guess i would buy world of goo to support you but not for 20 euro when the steam version costs 5. you think it is fair because you have developed a linux version. i think it is fair to get the win version rip the res files out and upgrade the linux demo. why? because i would not consider to buy your game if there was no linux support.
I see that you put much work in the game but a price between 5-10 euro is kind of fair when you consider that you get a game like starcraft2 for 35 euro (pre-

order). i am not sure if you can compare in depth, story, ongoing development, ... maybe ill see some time how good you game is if it should really be half as entertaining an challenging as sc2 make sure to have a donation button somewhere.
Sure development of linux version coasts some extra money .. if you are not too stupid you can really share some stuff with the mac.. but you get a new market as well

Hi, obiwahn.
First off, 2DBoy doesn't really come on this site often. This is the World of Goo fan site. The original 2DBoy forums are just down and the link now points here. No worries.

But secondly, yes. The easiest way to get World of Goo for Linux when you already have the Windows version is to download the demo, then copy the res folder over from the Windows version. It ought to work fine.

Thirdly, World of Goo is $20 USD, not Euro (which is a good deal cheaper). It's $20 on the 2DBoy site for any platform (Win, Mac, or Linux), too, not just Linux. And it's only $5 USD on Steam as a sale, and $10 normally. Most people on this site bought it for the full $20, no matter what platform they're on. (I personally spent $15 a few years ago, but I bought it later for $10, so I've spent $25 total on it)

Fourthly, blame it on Steam for being lazy and not having Linux support. Tongue

Fifthly, don't compare World of Goo to Starcraft 2, please. Indie games are a whole different genre, with totally different gameplay, design, and plot. It's like comparing Final Fantasy to Call of Duty. Not reasonable. I personally have never played Starcraft, because I don't like the feel of modern-day, big-company games. I find the depth and story of indie games like World of Goo to be far better. And as far as ongoing development: In case you didn't notice, we have hundreds of fan-made levels on this site, with more every week; full-fledged level, ball, and cutscene editors; and a community here willing to help anyone mod the game. Can't top that, unless the Starcraft developers plan on releasing their source code. Also, 2DBoy is working on porting the game to as many different platforms as possible, such as iPhone, iPad, iPod, Wii, and hopefully Android soon. They even added a different ending to the game in the iPhone version. They're still working on the game, yes.

Basically, I personally think the game is worth well over the $20 you're complaining about, but that's just me. You can get the game on the iPad or on Steam for a good deal cheaper if you wish, but I personally think that buying directly from 2DBoy.com to support two guys who worked long and hard for a couple years on this game is well worth it. But don't let me stop you. Sticking the res folder from the Windows version in works perfectly fine, and that's what I did at first. But if you enjoy the game, then I'd say buy it afterwards from 2DBoy directly. Better yet, just play the Linux demo before you make any purchase. If the first chapter doesn't catch your imagination, then the game won't (Not to say that the first chapter is a complete representation of the game, but I don't imagine you'll like the game if you don't like the first chapter).

As far as Cortex Command goes, it's still in Beta. Give it some time. Wink