Wogfan - Channel Discussion

45 replies [Last post]

LTumbleweed, maybe we should keep unused footage and make a compilation at the end. Only 17 more days and I'll start uploading videos(need to study now).

I will need your help with the videos. Now I can record sound and the image doesn't blink but it still lags....

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Have you taken a look at Fraps, Pavke? You once said you'd like to increase quality for your future vids. As I said, at your resolution it should work out quite well regarding recording performance.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Does Fraps use some kind of video codecs? Can you recommend me some good ones.

thB
thB's picture

Yay, just answered and got a timeout after submitting, so everything is gone... I'm so happy right now. >:E
Here comes the new short version.

Fraps uses a built-in codec, you can't include your own.

Downsides:
- Bigger files than with a program that does "YouTube-ready" encoding or stuff like that during recording. Your HDD also has to be faster. Again, this should not be an issue with low to normal resolutions.
- Making a video ready for release requires more work.

Upsides:
- Almost lossless capture files (not really lossless, but you can hardly tell the difference), so you can use a really good codec afterwards for release. For example, I use x264 3-pass most of the time. It produces _really_ good quality while keeping file sizes reasonable.
- Not much CPU required for recording, as the image is hardly compressed on-the-fly. This leaves more CPU time for thing you actually do (like playing).

You decide. Smile
Or just try it, you can download it from their site. The unregistered version only supports 30 seconds max. for a video, though.

I'm going to downloaded right now!! Smile It is freeware/shareware right? EDIT: (I just saw number 37 Sad )

You use windows movie maker right?

thB
thB's picture

Unfortuanetly it's not freeware or shareware. Lifetime registration is 37$ including future updates. The unregistered version only supports 30 seconds per video. And hell no, I don't use Windows Movie Maker. Wink
I use VirtualDub for cutting and video encoding and MeGUI for audio compression and muxing, but you can do the audio part in VirtualDub, too.

Edit:
But hey, the Dollar's been cheap for quite a while now. Tongue

You really love making movies, do you. Smile

thB
thB's picture

Actually, more than making movies, I like to do things right or "good". I may not always succeed, but I'm trying. Laughing out loud But yes, making movies is also pretty cool.
Edit: And I *love* visuals/audiovisuals in general.

I'll keep as much as I can, I'd like to do a compilation video. Just let me know what you need.

Also whos on board with wogfan?

"Just let me know what you need" - I don't know at the moment, don't really have a plan but when I see it I'll know. I know dick space is a problem for videos so keep the one you think are really good.

"Also whos on board with wogfan?" - you, me and I gave password to Kopa but he didn't reply.

Hi the wogfan channel had a private message on it saying the following....

can you make a video that shows how to make a wog level .you just have to download hyper cam and then just put to record and make the mod then turn of the hyper cam and then upload it here Smile
can you please do it Smile

This is something I've been thinking about but we should probably discuss it and pass some ideas around.

That a great idea! I can make a level, it is easy, but not within 10 minutes.
33 goos on Smoking Hand is going great! less then a day and already 80 views.

I think it's a good idea too but it requires a lot of work:

- You need to know exactly what to do with your level.
- If you record all the screen, it will be difficult to see details on the right. Maybe some annotations could be added but it will be a pain.
- Pavke pointed this out : will it fit in a 10 minutes length video? If the video is sped up. Once again, it will be hard to see details.
- Finally, I think we must include the "finalization" part. I mean, the hardest part, in my opinion, is to compile all the things to get a .goomod file.

I must say that I can't do the video, I just don't have the time. I hope you, Pavke or LTumbleweed will make it. But don't make it hurriedly : take your time to do it right. Wink

Who did the second hand smoke video, was it you Kopa if so welcome on board. I was about to upload Grape Vine Virus when I saw it so I made the video private for a while althougb I may do it again as I don't like the video at all.

Ok regarding the level,

Recording is a problem for me too, I use ZD recorder for WOG but it doesnt work so well with anything else. Yesterday I tried to record a video showing how to upload wog scores to the leaderboard and it only saves the last 3 seconds. Maybe I could try using windows media encoder.

We should probably make the level before hand so we know what we are doing. I just started using the editor so Im currently making a test level. The level should also be simple, at least to start with. We could maybe make a 2-3 part series on this showing new additions each time. I think virtualdub has some sort of zoom tool, maybe windows media maker does as well.

Also does anyone know if davidc is making a new editor?

Deffo something we shouldnt rush out in a week lol

Yes, SHS video came from me. I don't know for the new editor but I suppose davidc doesn't have time to make it. Wink