The Book of Goo

12 replies [Last post]

One idea I have is an online book called "The World of Goo". The book is written through the Sign Painter's eyes, in a diary-like style, taking place over the course of one year. The Sign Painter, I have determined, is himself a goo-ball, and is the last surviving ball in the world after World of Goo Corporation explodes. The "chapters" of the original World of Goo game are retained, along with a self-made "post-epilogue", which is inspired on the cancelled Chapter 6 taking place on the Moon, that is meant to give a more "complete" feeling to the game.

Throughout the course of the story, the Sign Painter is treated as an invisible goo-ball, watching as the other balls build their structure onwards and upwards to reach the pipe and as they plummet to their death, as they shred Acetone Beauty in the GSM (genetic sorting machine) and bring life back to the aging power plant, as they light the fire that lets loose the Third Dimension, release all the spam messages in history, and as they become rendered extinct.

Dates are placed, and each seperate game level is on a different day. The only change made between game and book is changing the day of the release of Project Z from December 31 to closer to late February, because technically, winter starts at December 21, and that would only leave ten days to show Chapter 3. I'm also debating myself regarding the fact that the World of Goo is, technically, a three-dimensional world, so I'm wondering whether I want to replace Project Z with an identical project, but adding a fourth dimension, rather than a third. I'm not sure whether I want to stick to the source with that or go for accuracy, I'll figure it out...

But anyways, my online book The World of Goo is going to be a very good one, which I hope you will enjoy. I am working on a rough draft right now, I'm going to be starting the game from the beginning for the second time so I can get a more intense feeling of trying for the solution, and to be able to do the level MOM's Computer again, which is a major part of the story. Tell me your ideas of "The World of Goo", and I hope you enjoy it when it comes out!

"It was amazing: I felt a sudden earthquake, before feeling a gradually growing lightness. I was drifting higher and higher, watching in awe. I saw before me the skeletons of all the dead of my once-proud genus, of every species, of every island. I could

Nice interpretation, can't wait to give it a read!

Lol good...I want to try write a diary like this to!We can compete!Sounds good? Wink

Crazeh man!

Sure! A little healthy competition to spice us up to do our best is always good...

"It was amazing: I felt a sudden earthquake, before feeling a gradually growing lightness. I was drifting higher and higher, watching in awe. I saw before me the skeletons of all the dead of my once-proud genus, of every species, of every island. I could

I decided I'd make a major change to how the story is going to be conveyed. In it, the Sign Painter is looking in the worthless telescope on June 21, 2011. He tells the story of how his species was rendered extinct, and he was the last of his kind, going through the first four chapters and all but the very last level of the Epilogue. In the end of the book, the Sign Painter then explains how his pet fish in the water decide to help him from the Sign Painter's ongoing depression, by attaching themselves to the Telescope, giving the Sign Painter hope.

Below, the closing excerpt of my story.

"It was amazing: I felt a sudden earthquake, before feeling a gradually growing lightness. I was drifting higher and higher, watching in awe. I saw before me the skeletons of all the dead of my once-proud genus, of every species, of every island. I could see thousands of miles in all directions. I then thought to myself, looking down upon the Tower of Goo at the former World of Goo Corp. campus, 'to think three-hundred balls went through such a filthy, pneumatic pipe system through the smoggy ruins of a shattered megacorp, to build a tower of goo into the sky!'.

Looking down, I saw a sign reading, 'We're all in it together,', before looking onwards and upwards into the stars. I then saw a strange shape: a large, dark grey sphere. I thought it was dust, I tried shaking it off, and then I rubbed it into the dirt. Turning back upwards, I felt a new hope, a new confidence within myself. I then saw a faint glimmer of light.

Finally, reality set in. I felt myself growing heavier and plowing downwards, back into the smog, back into the dust, back into the depression. Another earthquake announced my re-arrival to the real world. But I still retained my hope, and that is all I needed. I then remembered near the autumn equinox nine months ago, how a few ivy balls escaped from certain death. I then imagined, 'they are still up there. Maybe, they too found the faint glimmer, they too have hope.

But then there is me, alone, on Earth. Over time, I fell back into my depression. The fish died of suffocation, which led to my aforementioned descent. Not knowing what to do with myself and my telescope, I decided to go to all the different points around the world, leaving signs of our progress. And then I written my story, which you are reading right now. And now, to begin my story: 'It all began several millenia before everything happened, in the once goo-filled hills...'"

COOOOOOOLLLL!!!!!! nice one over there! can i hace a copy? Tongue

Great ideas for a story! I didn't think the Sign Painter was a Goo Ball, though, because in the signpost in Chain he says the balls look "toatally delicious." It is an interesting twist, though!Smile

MOM, the Sign Painter has an odd sense of humor. Maybe goo-balls are cannibalistic creatures, and beauty balls get so big due to assimillating so many smaller balls, so the Sign Painter's making a joke about their biology ;D

Like I said before, that's a really good twist. Technically speaking, either of us could really be right!Smile

The original story is that the "Architect" is living on the Moon and that he wrote the Sign Painter. We are supposed to meet him on the Chapter 6 but it has never been released. Wink

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Pavke wrote:
The original story is that the "Architect" is living on the M.O.O.N. 2.0 and that he wrote the sign paintings. We are supposed to meet him on the Chapter 6 but it has never been released. Wink

I wish Chapter 6 was released ):

But that's beside the point. The way I see it, The Sign Painter lives on the World, not the M.O.O.N. 2.0, and he designed the Telescope, M.O.O.N. 2.0, along with possibly the Beauty Generator. He changed jobs at the end of Chapter 6 to become the Sign Painter, in a complex romance, involving being overworked by the Corporation and the loss of his love. The Sign Painter visited the Telescope at the end of the Epilogue as a memorance of one of his proudest works, right before his love died, processed by the Corporation.

I am reverting back to the original format: a diary. Chapter 6 is going to be put after the Epilogue as "Chapter 6: A Tale of Two Goo-Balls", which is of the Sign Painter explaining year-old memories of his lost love, and building the Telescope, and the Beauty Generator in memory of her.

Cool Stare

Been watching this progress, wondering if it's progressing farther?
As a writer myself, I'm inclined to enjoy others work as well!
Be Goo-d!
-AVT

**sings** "Here I Goo again on my own. Gooing down the only road I've ever known."