Dampening Factor BUG in World of Goo

10 replies [Last post]

This video shows the dampening factor bug in World of Goo. It is probably caused by the small intervals (1/50 sec in World of Goo iirc) between two physical calculations. The engine probably assumed that the object will always get the same force during the interval.
It shows that if linearforcefield/@dampeningfactor >= 39, the goo ball will shake in the forcefield. If it's > 39, the goo ball will shake more and more violently. If the forcefield is ambient or the goo ball has the @dampening, the goo ball will probably disappear or die because of touching deadly geometries. (and that's why balloon dies after pulling a strand with super fast clicking bug)
More interestingly, in Example 4 I set linearforcefield/@dampeningfactor to 60.75 which makes it act like a bouncy geometry. If you add a rectangle with @tag=nodrag, material/@bounce is no longer needed. Tongue

Seems interesting.

That's not even a bouncy geometry--it seems to eject the Goo Ball with exactly the opposite force it entered with! So if you throw it at a downwards angle it bounces back at an upwards angle.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Albino Pokey wrote:
That's not even a bouncy geometry--it seems to eject the Goo Ball with exactly the opposite force it entered with! So if you throw it at a downwards angle it bounces back at an upwards angle.

Oh yeah! I found those in my videos but I forgot to mention. Thanks for adding these! Tongue

New discovery: this only works in a linearforcefield. For a radialforcefield with forces -10, -10 the dampeningfactor for perfect bouncing is 40.333 instead of 60.75.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Why do you set forces to -10,-10? I just checked and found if you set the forces to 0,0, then 60.75 will work fine.

Correction: for an Ivy Goo Ball to bounce perfectly, the dampeningfactor needs to be 40.333. For Common, Fuse, Albino, and Bit (the only others I've tested) 60.75 is correct.

Mygod, I meant that the ambient gravity in the level was a radialforcefield with forceatcenter = -10 and forceatedge = -10. As far as I can tell you're right, the force of the bouncy field doesn't matter.

Why is Ivy special? That's weird.

Perhaps it has a different mass? I'm not sure why that would matter, though, if the field is set to Gravity mode.

I don't think so. common has a mass of 30 and common_albino has a mass of 40.

What could it be, then? Maybe there's a dampeningfactor set on the ball as well? Or could it be the Detachable property?