MOM's Computer crash on Linux

5 replies [Last post]

I have the box version of World of Goo, and I installed it on Ubuntu by installing the demo from Software Center and replacing the res folder with the one on the disc. It worked fine until I got to MOM's Computer. I can build up to the MOM icon, but then the game crashes shortly after clicking it. When I say "crashes", I mean the game just closes. Annoyingly, I can't skip the level because it seems to be handled differently than all the other levels... Any ideas?

The MOM's Computer dialogue tree logic is stored at the bottom of properties/text.xml.bin instead of in the level. Copy that file over as well and see if it works. Smile

And you're right, plot-important levels have a flag set so they can't be skipped.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

No, all the text in the game is stored in properties/text.xml.bin. WooGLE & GooTool just helped you to merge all the text together.

Sorry, what?

The dialogue tree logic is stored in an interesting way. In text.xml.bin there are keys like

<string id="MOM_WHOAREYOU_0T"
	  text="MOM_WHOAREYOU_1" />
<string id="MOM_WHOAREYOU_1T"
	  text="MOM_WHOAREYOU_2" />

which set up the transition logic for the dialogue trees. The comments show that this solution was set up fairly late in development, and I imagine MOM's Computer would crash without the keys.

I didn't say anything about WooGLE or GooTool. Puzzled

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Okay I misunderstood you. Sorry.
And that's really interesting. Smile

I have no idea why they did it that way when it's not something that would need to be changed, and has nothing to do with text localization.