WoG computer code?

19 replies [Last post]

I was re-reading the set-up for WoG, and It said that there was some sort of code that stays on your computer when you install it. It went like this:1.3 Additional Restrictions for Trial Versions. If the Game was provided to you for trial use for a limited period of time and/or number of uses, you agree not to use the Game beyond the expiration or termination of the trial period. You acknowledge and agree that the Game may include code designed to prevent you from exceeding these limits, and that such code may remain on your computer or device after deletion of the Game to prevent you from installing another copy of the Game and repeating the trial. (excerpt from WoG macintosh Demo version.) Is it something that is permanent to your computer?

Yes, it usually has something to do with the registry. Otherwise, (on windows, maybe something similar for mac) it will integrate your Windows folder to add a binary value (something like "worldofgoo-demo-used = 'true'"). Windows then adds that value to whatever new program you open and, if wog demo is opened, it will read the value and say that it was already tried.

*gasp*, so If you delete that stuff, then you reset time? (for trial versions)
If you can, then that breaks your demo rights or whatever.

Well actually, if you delete that stuff, then your demo resets time...AND your computer stops loading...

Computer stops loading?

I mean it stops booting... (ex. Windows won't load and your computer will remain in a command state...)

So... say goodbye to your computer?

Gosh, you guys are jumping the tracks. WoG demo is just that, a demo. And most of the time "demo" means "content limited but not time limited". Therefore, there is no point of keeping track of how long you've been playing so that to prevent you to further play outside of the trial period. I think that bit was just in their because they used to want to do a trial, but decided to change and keep the bit in there for safety. Also, this EULA might also be used on demo/trial versions with other distributors, so it might apply there.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

Enchanter49 wrote:
Yes, it usually has something to do with the registry. Otherwise, (on windows, maybe something similar for mac) it will integrate your Windows folder to add a binary value (something like "worldofgoo-demo-used = 'true'"). Windows then adds that value to whatever new program you open and, if wog demo is opened, it will read the value and say that it was already tried.

You lack basic understanding on computer systems. The operating system is not designed as a DRM. Developers have to add their own DRM systems. In the case of Windows, trial data is usually recorded in the Registry. On Mac, probably some obscure config file is used (as there is no Registry). On Linux, it is similar to Mac, except less obscure (because Linux doesn't hide anything except for potential rootkits).

P.S. You cannot use the file system to be used for DRM purposes, because it's too volatile to be usable.

GMMan wrote:
Gosh, you guys are jumping the tracks. WoG demo is just that, a demo. And most of the time "demo" means "content limited but not time limited". Therefore, there is no point of keeping track of how long you've been playing so that to prevent you to further play outside of the trial period. I think that bit was just in their because they used to want to do a trial, but decided to change and keep the bit in there for safety. Also, this EULA might also be used on demo/trial versions with other distributors, so it might apply there.

I was just about to say the same thing.

And your computer won't crash (stop boting) if you empty registries. You really really have to know the structure of Windows and registry datebase and their function, and have special system authorization to do that. Smile

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Pavke wrote:
And your computer won't crash (stop boting) if you empty registries. You really really have to know the structure of Windows and registry datebase and their function, and have special system authorization to do that. Smile

...I didn't say that. I said that Windows would stop loading IF you deleted specific files in the Windows folder...

GMMan you aren't paying much attention, either.

I just wanna know if it's permanent or whatever. (and to see what happens when I delete it due to Enchanter's response.

Trust me Enchanter, I am paying attention. However, I'm being greatly annoyed with these conspiracy theories, because they have no actual base. If anywhere, they would add whatever trial counter to the Registry. I have not really seen any programs that use the Windows directory to store trial data. I've only seen ones which use it to hide registration keys.

James wrote:
Additional Restrictions for Trial Versions. If the Game was provided to you for trial use for a limited period of time and/or number of uses, you agree not to use the Game beyond the expiration or termination of the trial period. You acknowledge and agree that the Game may include code designed to prevent you from exceeding these limits, and that such code may remain on your computer or device after deletion of the Game to prevent you from installing another copy of the Game and repeating the trial. (excerpt from WoG macintosh Demo version.)

This is just a standard documentation for any (trial) game. There isn't actually code restriction because you can play WoG demo as much as you want. Of course, in other games that's not the case, as you probably know.

Yes I do know but...I can't tell the difference between 1 hour trials or Chapter 1 trials.(which I prefer more than time limited ones)They just say "Download the dang thing and play some flippin' goo!"

Uh,do you have any brain?It says download trial when it let's you download a trial,and it says download a demo when it let's you download a demo!
Trial gives you a screen of "You have 60 minutes of gameplay left"
Demo version just starts.

Crazeh man!

Exactly what Joris said. There is trial and there is demo. I don't understand what is the question here James?

Meh, nvm, forget what I said. I don't think sometimes. (well that happens to some people, right?)

James wrote:
Meh, nvm, forget what I said. I don't think sometimes. (well that happens to some people, right?)

Sure James, sure... (you can just look back through the topic, eh? *lol I'm a Canadian!*)

Funny, James. If you had more sense, you wouldn't have started this thread.

To summarize: There is no code that is going to make your computer blow up if you use the Chapter 1 Demo for more than what you're suppose to use it. Because there is nothing after Chapter 1. The end. We can stop talking about this.