World of Goo 2019 update

30 replies [Last post]

Hey old friends, it's been a long time!

We've just updated the Win / Mac / Linux versions of World of Goo for the first time since 2008 or 2009.

If you got the game directly from our site (2dboy.com) sometime before 2014 or so, and if you can still find your old download link, dust it off and give it a click. The new Win and Mac versions should be there waiting for you. Let us know if they work for you, and especially if you find any bugs!

You can also try looking up your download link here: https://2dboy.com/ReceptionistBot/

Some info on what's changed:

-To be super clear, there are no new levels, no new characters, no new battle royale deathmatch mode. This is just a gentle remastering we did for fun.

-The framework has been replaced. This is the thing that draws all the graphics onto your screen, and sends all the audio to your speakers, etc. This means the Win / Mac / Linux version should work on modern computers again without freaking out, and you can run the game on modern widescreen displays at whatever resolution you want.

-No more encrypted assets or save files. We hope this makes the game more open and friendly to mod.

-Resolution of graphics is doubled. The original game ran at 800x600, and the tiny graphic files didn't scale to huge monitors very gracefully. We used a few different high quality upscaling tools to start, and then went over each image by hand, tweaking each image further as needed. In a few lucky cases, we still had the original source files and were able to use those. But if you still really want the original flavor, there's a setting to use the original graphics, also included with the game.

-Brought over improvements from releases on other platforms, like Nintendo Switch.

-The config.user.txt file is now located wherever your save file is stored. So no more editing that file in your programfiles folder. It has a bunch of new config vars exposed as well.

-We'll be updating the game wherever Win / Mac / Linux versions are available in the next few days.

It was fun returning to WoG again, and hope you enjoy this small update!
Kyle

PS. I think I accidently hijacked someone's GooFans account, who had used my kyle@2dboy.com address. I see posts made under this account, but they aren't mine, sorry whoever you are!

Cool update! I'm not too sure what you mean about the encrypted assets, do you mean hard coded material? Anyway, I seem to have troubles obtaining this update. Re downloading only installs the previous version. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue, or if it is just my extremely picky computer.

I now go by StrixToxis.

Hey Kyle, great to hear from you! This really is your account - the special "2d" badge proves it! Those addins are just listed because someone has named you as an "additional author" on their addins, so they show up on your page as well.

Thanks for the update, I'll check it out and post it on the news.

-davidc

Oh my god it's Kyle oh what.
To be serious I'm also curious about the encrypted files which Toxic Goo mentioned in his thread, if you guys set all things open to the players, does it mean that we will be able to modify the 6th chapter on MapWorldView or do something cool to MOM and Deliverance?
Thanks for this cute surprise after over 10 yrs, love you guys as always Laughing out loud

Random user of goofans site & WoG gamer.

Maniac of osu!game now. Go MU as you want and just PM me.

It means that the files that were encrypted on Win or Mac are no longer encrypted. Practically, this doesn't affect what you can mod, since GooTool always took care of the encryption/decryption for you anyway. In fact it will make it harder for a while until I have time to update GooTool to handle them Smile

-davidc

Ah ok i think i got it, I used to use WOGModifier as well as Gootool to help me cope with the encrypt/decrypt things. And thank you so much for still updating Gootool after so long, you are great david.

Random user of goofans site & WoG gamer.

Maniac of osu!game now. Go MU as you want and just PM me.

nice, I really like the changes (I'm really annoyed of the low resolution of the original world of goo)

cool

what if i have WoG on disc?

Obsession Completion Disorder

I doubt there'll be a solution for retail sales, none of the publishers from 10 years ago are likely to do anything now for a product they're no longer selling. I suspect your best solution is to e-mail contact @ 2dboy and ask nicely Smile

-davidc

You'll also be able to get it free on Epic Games starting today for the next two weeks. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/world-of-goo/home

-davidc

wow thanks for the update

Thanks to update.
btw will update the moon?

Thanks for updating the game. My son plays it daily. He also uses the World of Goo Level Editor, however, now it doesn't work. Just wondering if anyone can advise me how to fix this for him? He's devastated as he loves designing his own levels. Thank you.

(Error: It states he has provided an incorrect World of Goo directory location, however, it's the same location it was yesterday and it was working fine. I've tried updating it but nothing seems to fix it.)

The tools for making levels and all other stuff is not updated for the newest version, that has all the decrypted content, so i'd reccomend you using an older WoG version

Also I wanted to know how do I increase the audio bitrate and all that stuff on the new Epic Games version of the game, since compared to the older WoG versions, the new version's audio quality is pretty bad

Just wanted to update, after a lot of hunting, reading and testing we were finally able to get World of Goo Level Editor to work, but only in regards to opening and editing levels. It is not possible to test or play the levels in World of Goo.

Goo Tool also does not work.

Is there anyone still active who would know how to fix these issues? Or is it possible to revert the changes the developers have done? I completely appreciate that they thought they were being helpful to the community by doing this update 10 years later, but it appears they have broken more things then they have fixed and it's a little frustrating that they have dropped the update and then seemingly disappeared again.

As I mentioned previously, my son plays World of Goo daily, and uses the Level Editor/Goo Tool. He's only seven years old and it's a little hard for me to explain to him why it suddenly won't work and why I can't fix it for him. Thanks in advance.

(Update: to mention we have the steam version of WoG so it updated automatically.)

Yeah... someone should forward these issues to Kyle’s email. I do have the entire program folder of the previous WoG version saved onto drive, but I want to be careful and not give it to people who have not owned the game.

I now go by StrixToxis.

GooTool has not yet been updated for the new version 1.50, I did not get any warning that this was going to drop. The changes are not insignificant and the codebase is mid-overhaul anyway. I will get to it when I have time.

This might work: if you have a custom-built World of Goo from the previous version, try copying it somewhere else and using that as the *source* World of Goo in GooTool. You'll still be running 1.40, but at least the files will be in the right places for GooTool and World of Goo Editor to use. If you do this, make sure you take a backup, so you don't end up losing your last-remaining copy of 1.40.

-davidc

David, does this mean that all the modding tools need an update? Because if so, I would like to report any bugs or glitches I find on those editors as well.

I now go by StrixToxis.

Yes World of Goo 2019

World of Goo 700 FPS Vsync off

Can we get official design tools for 15-year update? Smile

"Official design tools" were Photoshop plus some custom script to extract data from layers. They said it was very hacky and didn't intend to release it - I think that WooGLE is much easier to use.

-davidc

Yeah but it still might be helpful to have. I think WooGLE is a good tool but not so much about others like the movie editor (I think virtually no mods contain a half decent movie). I'm more interested in those tools.

Goovie really needs some more love. Its clunky and hard to use in my opinion. People could make decent movies with practice, but I think most of them dont have the patience to make good movies.

I now go by StrixToxis.

Also is there anywhere we can find the 2dboy blog archive? If not, release it to @davidc already. Smile

The World of Goo movies were created in Adobe Flash and then exported to a custom format. This seems a better idea than writing a whole animation editor from scratch.

I did once play around with writing an importer, but I can't remember what state it is in. I gave up mostly because I couldn't figure out how to use Flash to make animations myself. The code is here if it's of any use https://github.com/davidc/gootool/blob/master/flash.jsfl
Going the other direction, exporting from Flash, should be much easier since the resources would already be in Flash.

-davidc

davidc wrote:
GooTool has not yet been updated for the new version 1.50, I did not get any warning that this was going to drop. The changes are not insignificant and the codebase is mid-overhaul anyway. I will get to it when I have time.-davidc

Is there any chance for an ETA (even a really rough estimate) of when you would have time to update GooTool to make it work with the new version? My son and I check back here every week to see if there are any updates. Thanks in advance.

That would be so much easier! Even just a timeline feature in Goovie would work for me Smile

I now go by StrixToxis.

So am I to understand that in order for everything to work together (WoG, GooTool and WooGLE) it's best NOT to update? I bought my copy years ago and the box is still in grand shape while the CD is still nice and shiny!
(My computer skills are slightly above end user status and slightly below adequate...)

**sings** "Here I Goo again on my own. Gooing down the only road I've ever known."