making semi-portable profile for world of goo need win 7 tester

11 replies [Last post]

im not making game portable it self
im not modifying game it self

i just want to add 1 bat files which will export and import profile
which EVERYONE will be able to make via simple .txt files
i will create pre-made file for lazy ppl

but also i want to make step by step tutorial on how someone can do everything by him/her self from the absolute nothing with 0% of knowledge

im XP user i dont have win 7 so i cant test that i need someone to test it for me since windows 7 for sure use different paths than XP (vista uses same path s as XP)

(import existing profile from game directory to hidden folder from where game reads it than after game is closed (normal or alt+f4) profile file will be imported from hidden folder to backup folder in game directory

creating separate files for manually (by executing/clicking) export and import profile file will be possible

its also possible to make files that will launch game with different settings/language

so like if my tv only use resolution 1024x768 with max 75 refresh rate and my monitor 2048x1536 with 80 refresh rate than i could create 2 files which 1 would work on 1024x768 - 75
and other 2048x1536 - 80

well any 1 care to test it ?

if you have win xp you can also test if my method do work cause well it works on my pc and should work on others but there is always that 1% of chance that it won Wink

Short note: if you use %LOCALAPPDATA% it should find the right directory on all Windows systems.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

nope it does not

If I remember correctly, there's already a program on this site that does the same thing.
This one: http://goofans.com/download/utility/world-of-goo-portable

yep i dont want to make another program i made exe file that launch the game same way as it should launch from original exe file without any extra windows

lol i can edit this post but i cant edit original post ? well thats pro

anyway i just figured out how to make it save profile on game exit so it would be fully automated (profile) save/load without any third party software

You can edit the original post of a topic by clicking the "edit" button above the title. I don't know why it isn't in the same place as with other posts.

Which Windows systems does localappdata not work on?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

i have windows xp home edition and when i try to access that folder via bat file or run window i get error saying that this path or file do not exist and i should check did i typed it correctly

last hidden folder above it i can enter by special command is %ALLUSERSPROFILE%
and i think i know whats the problem

i have polish windows well im from poland and for me this path

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

do not look like that it looks like
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DANE APLIKACJI < which mean application data in my language

but all other special folder commands works just fine on my pc i dont know why

and i fould many other commands to enter that folder like %ALLUSERSPROFILEDATA%
%ALLUSERSPROFILEAPPDATA% %ALLUSERSPROFILEROOT% %ALLUSERSPROFILEROOTDATA%
and nothing seems to work so i think its cause i have polish windows or cause its HE
i should stick to xp PRO in stead of HE i believe

anyway i found way around it so anything is doable

and thats why i need testers cause on some windows for some ppl it may just not work and than i can find way around for them just as i found way around for my self

but well seems no 1 is interested so i gonna post 2morrow what i found out and how to do it with all links and stuff

and ty for edit tip Wink

Have you patched your World of Goo to the newest version?

if you mean this

http://goofans.com/download/utility/world-of-goo-update

than i think i did

never was good at making tutorials but its here
http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/general-discussion/4682