Problem with uploading new version of addin

10 replies [Last post]

I want to upload a new version of Experimental Level Project.
I select the file I wish to upload. I waited some time (like when the file is uploading) and finaly I saw the message:
You forgot to upload ta file! !????!!?!!????

How it's possible? What I should do?
Please help.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Was the file you were trying to upload bigger than 20MB? That's the maximum file size you can upload.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

That's right. Now I'll try to make version with low resolution graphics.
But it's unfair that It didn't say "Too big file" or something like that.

Thanks.

thB
thB's picture

No problem. Btw, wanted to ask you anyway... Are you interested in the 2.27 MB (instead of 17.1 MB) version I made of v0.3.0 yesterday?
I just saw you already made a new version with probably lower-res graphics, but anyway. Smile

2.27 MB version 0.3.0?
How it's possible?

thB
thB's picture

Use JPEGs instead of PNGs. It works and there's virtually no visible difference. Wink

that's what I did in WetChain Laughing out loud

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

does gootool still convert jpegs for macs?

thB
thB's picture

There is nothing that needs to be converted. WoG just reads JPEG just as well as PNG. As long as the file is called *.png.

Yeah the max filesize is 20MB - unfortunately PHP blocks uploads larger than this without informing us, so we can't give an error saying "file too big".

I recommend splitting it up into two addins. I seem to recall that it had a load of "explode the head" levels for example, so you might want to split those off into a separate "Experimantal Head Explosion" addin. (by the way, when I was playing, most if not all of these levels can be defeated with the Jingle Balls OCD trick)

@thB - is that really true? Weird but plausible for Windows/Linux I suppose, but it definitely won't work on the Mac where PNGs have to be compiled into LZW-compressed raw image data (unless by magic GooTool is quietly loading JPEGs without complaint when installing...)

-davidc

thB
thB's picture

@davidc:
Yes, that's really true. Found out a couple months ago, that's also how I shrunk the three levels by GooGooAction that Pavke goomodded. Honestly, don't know about Mac. I assumed that WoG Mac also just read PNGs as they were. If they need to be converted first, someone would have to test this with JPEGs. If it doesn't work, it'd be very cool if you implemented JPEG conversion into GooTool as well. Wink

By the way, another very cool thing I found out about WoG (or rather irrKlang) just a few days ago is that music (or sound) does by no means have to be OGG. Modules (MOD, S3M, XM, IT) also work! (And yes, WoG actually plays them.) For me, that's great news, because I've always loved modules and the scene (and it also saves megabytes of goomod space). Maybe of less importance to other people, but if I ever create a level again, it'll definitely feature a decent module soundtrack.