What would you like to have in the NEW level editor?

7 replies [Last post]

As most of you know, (in addition to DaB's awesome changes to WoG Editor) I started building my own level editor a while back. It didn't get very far. It became more and more frustrating to work on it, not to mention all my work AWAY from the computer. So, eventually, I quit working on it.

But now, I have started production again.

This editor WILL include:
+Drag & Drop Functions and Pallets
+Easy Resource Editor
+Clear View
+Easy Camera Zoom and Placement WITH Easy Time-setting
+All symbols are Clear (no stupid black circles for gooballs anymore)
+Quick/Easy Code Editor (in addition to moving things around, you can go old-fashioned at any time in the level-making process and edit the code yourself)
+No More Useless Values (static, id, and tag are not shown to the user)

In addition to these features, I will be taking suggestions from goofans-users, so feel free to comment here with an idea that you had always wanted in WoG Editor.

Menus? I'm not sure if there were menus in your preview version, but they sure will help to list all the options available.
Also, toolbar instead of text buttons, though with better icons.
Lastly, port all the Python code to native C++ (or whatever language you're using). It'll save some trouble, and there are not as many loops to go through.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

GMMan wrote:
Menus? I'm not sure if there were menus in your preview version, but they sure will help to list all the options available.

Context (right-click) menus? BTW I'm starting from scratch again so I can build more off of all your ideas.
GMMan wrote:
Also, toolbar instead of text buttons, though with better icons.

Alright, this I can do. Toolbar will be added. I wasn't planning to use text buttons again anyway.
GMMan wrote:
Lastly, port all the Python code to native C++ (or whatever language you're using). It'll save some trouble, and there are not as many loops to go through.

I'm not using that python code again. Actually, I'm developing my own code for encryption as I am typing this. It shouldn't be too difficult in the language I am using.

Also, (this goes for everyone) I need an idea for a name as well. Something other than WoG Level Master because that name gives no hint whatsoever of a level editor. Don't get me wrong, though. I still want ideas on the actual program as well.

By menus I mean File, Edit, Tools, etc. But context menus would also be good.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

GMMan wrote:
By menus I mean File, Edit, Tools, etc. But context menus would also be good.

Okay, I'll use both. Shy

This is serious, people. I am really going to finish it this time. I would appreciate it if I got some feedback because soon I won't be able to take many requests.

the All symbols are Clear feature might not be good. how about it should show the body image of the gooball instead of a symbol. that way it would be WAY more clearer.

durr wrote:
the All symbols are Clear feature might not be good. how about it should show the body image of the gooball instead of a symbol. that way it would be WAY more clearer.

durr, that's what I said. (or at least what I implied by saying that)