A couple of questions

6 replies [Last post]

first, is there any way to have no particle effect for a sign post or a fire?

second, is there a way to make the sign posts look like they are from the ish when you click on them?

Grant wrote:
first, is there any way to have no particle effect for a sign post or a fire?
No.. with the particles attribute omitted the game defaults to the standard !!!'s
HOWEVER... there might be a couple of ways around it..
i) Use specify particle effect that won't be noticed (not sure what you could use though) I think there's a couple of mist ones that look like they're ambient... that might work.
or
ii) Create a new custom particle effect that's invisible or does nothing.. and apply that to the sign.
I don't know a huge amount about particles, but I'm sure with a bit of experimentation you could create one that "didn't work".
Might be as simple as, cloning an existing one but using images that are just 100% transparent.

Grant wrote:
second, is there a way to make the sign posts look like they are from the ish when you click on them?
Doubtful...
I suspect the game decides which graphics to use based on which chapter you are in.. and since we always add levels to Chapter 1... you're probably stuck with Chapter 1's signpost.

About the 2nd answer, DaB...

Didn't inwog (I think) put some of his/her levels in the 5th chapter?

What would happen if it was in the fourth one instead?

Hmm.. interesting idea...
Maybe you could drop a couple of XSL's into the goomod that you add your level into the island4 xml's

But GooTool would also add the level to Chapter 1, so you'd have to make it clear to people that they're supposed to play the Chapter 4 one... not sure how many would.. but worth a shot.

I was going to allow the addin to specify which chapter it was put in, but I ended up deciding this would confuse the player more than is necessary. As new levels are not part of the "story", the only reason to move it into another chapter is to change the loading screen graphic, mouse colour and signpost graphic, so I decided against it.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

I unfortunately there is another side-effect of allowing mods to specify their chapter.
Folks would actually have to have played the game up to the appropriate chapter! (Or do I miss something here?)
Also, custom level profiles without a single original level (like mine) would no longer be possible.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

That was another reason for originally fixing chapter 1, but digging deeper I found it's not actually true.

A chapter is available if there is a level in it that has its dependency satisfied. So for example the first level of chapter 2 depends on the last level of chapter 1. If you haven't finished or skipped the last level of chapter 1, chapter 2 is closed. But if there was a level in chapter 2 with no dependency, chapter 2 would be open.

-davidc