How to make a .zip to a .goomod?

13 replies [Last post]
Seb
Addin Author

Okay I'm just finished my first mod but I need help with getting the .zip to become a .goomod... Please help.

The last of the goo balls didn't seem to notice that Seb was planning being in the WoG 2 project...

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Just rename the .zip to .goomod. Shock
E.g.: mymod.zip => mymod.goomod
If you don't see the extension under Windows, go to Tools->Folder Options->View in Explorer and disable "Hide extensions for known file types". That's for XP, dunno for Vista and 7.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Seb
Addin Author

thB wrote:
Just rename the .zip to .goomod. Shock
E.g.: mymod.zip => mymod.goomod
If you don't see the extension under Windows, go to Tools->Folder Options->View in Explorer and disable "Hide extensions for known file types". That's for XP, dunno for Vista and 7.

I didn't really get it but it's not download it's a .zip and I want it to be .goomod... Could you explain it a little less complicated... I'm only 12 Smile

The last of the goo balls didn't seem to notice that Seb was planning being in the WoG 2 project...

just rename your .zip to .goomod

what's there to explain? lets say you have Seb.zip, now right click it and click rename and type Seb.goomod

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Seb
Addin Author

Pavke wrote:

what's there to explain? lets say you have Seb.zip, now right click it and click rename and type Seb.goomod

I tried but then the .zip is just called .goomod but it's not a .goomod... Maybe it's because I have a windows 7 that I just cannot do your method...

It's some bug...I tried renaming it...But it's still a zip package...It's not only on .goomod,it's on other extensions too.Example:I could write some c++ code into .txt to make it work when it's an .exe,but when i rename it to .exe it stays .txt.Strange,but .txt changes to .xml perfectly...Really strange.

Crazeh man!

thB
thB's picture

Oh boy, it's not that hard...

thB wrote:

Seb
Addin Author

Joris wrote:
It's some bug...I tried renaming it...But it's still a zip package...It's not only on .goomod,it's on other extensions too.Example:I could write some c++ code into .txt to make it work when it's an .exe,but when i rename it to .exe it stays .txt.Strange,but .txt changes to .xml perfectly...Really strange.

It's because you have to go in and say 'Save as' and go in the file type bar and change the type to 'All Files' then type in the name + .exe in the end... Problem is that there's no 'save as' buttun in a Windows explorer (Exploring my own files)... so I can't say 'Save as' in the Windows explorer (Exploring my own files).

Seb
Addin Author

Seb wrote:
Joris wrote:

It's because you have to go in and say 'Save as' and go in the file type bar and change the type to 'All Files' then type in the name + .exe in the end... Problem is that there's no 'save as' buttun in a Windows explorer (Exploring my own files)... so I can't say 'Save as' in the Windows explorer (Exploring my own files).

I'm stupid I just answered my own question! Just open the .zip folder as a text document, click 'Save as' go down in the file type bar, press 'All file types' and add .goomod to the end of the name! Thanks Joris for saying the text thing! Or I'll never have found out!

OMG!!!I HELPED YOU!!!Cool! Laughing out loud

Crazeh man!

Seb wrote:
Pavke wrote:

I tried but then the .zip is just called .goomod but it's not a .goomod... Maybe it's because I have a windows 7 that I just cannot do your method...

Oh I have Windows 7 too. I think I can solve your problem!

1. You need WinRar. Download it here: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar391.exe

2. Install Winrar on your computer and make sure to include the ".zip" file type on the installation when it asks for extensions.

3. Right-click on your goomod. If you were telling the truth, it should be a ".zip" file. On the menu that appears, click on the "Open With" option. An application browser should show up.

4. Select Winrar on the list of installed programs. If it doesn't appear, click "Browse" and search your computer for "winrar". Then select the Binary file (.exe).

5. Press OK on the application browser and the contents of the mod should appear in Winrar. If you look on the top of the list, there should be a folder icon labeled '...' or something with dots. Double-click on that folder icon.

6. Now navigate the list to where your ".zip" file is. Right-click on it (in winrar) and select, from the menu that appears, "Rename".

7. Now you SHOULD be able to change it from ".zip" to ".goomod"! YAY Smile

thB
thB's picture

Argh, it makes me mad to see people who don't even know how to properly operate the OS they are using (no offense, Enchanter49). Laughing out loud

So I just fired up my Windows 7 virtual machine and here is how it's done:

Method 1
- open the Control Panel (usually from the Start Menu)
- search for "folder"
- click on "Folder Options"

or

Method 2
- open an Explorer window (Win+E on your keyboard)
- click "Organize" in that toolbar at the top (left)
- click on "Folder and search options" in the menu

after that

- go to the "View" tab
- look for the option named "Hide extensions for known file types" and disable it
- click OK
- rename your file "whatever_mod.zip" to "whatever_mod.goomod"
- be happy

For method 2: If you have enabled the menu bar in Explorer, you can also reach the folder options via the "Tools" menu.

You should ALWAYS have this option disabled (not just for renaming .zip to .goomod) so you always know the type of the files you are dealing with.

Hope this helps.

Seb
Addin Author

Hmm... I'll try...

I somewhat blame Microsoft. They just have to make it so that you can't see file extensions. Unsafe and annoying. It's too simple. Remember: press , then Tools, then Folder Options, then View, then Hide extensions for known file types and OK. Anyone who cannot do that should not make goomods because they don't even know how to change one of the simplest options in Windows.
(Linux rocks. It doesn't hide anything, including file extensions. At worst there are no file extensions.)

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!