WoG Fails to Install on Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 Natty

3 replies [Last post]

Has anyone tried installing it on Ubuntu Natty? It fails as soon as I click "install" in Software Center, giving the following error. I cannot install or play it at this point.

I'm using WorldOfGooSetup.1.41.deb from the Humble Bundle.

The package is of bad quality
The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.

Lintian check results for /home/george/Downloads/WorldOfGooSetup.1.41.deb:
E: WorldOfGoo: package-not-lowercase
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.bin32
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.bin64
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32/libSDL-1.2.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32/libogg.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32/libvorbis.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32/libvorbisfile.so.3
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs64/libSDL-1.2.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs64/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs64/libogg.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs64/libvorbis.so.0
E: WorldOfGoo: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object ./opt/WorldOfGoo/libs64/libvorbisfile.so.3

Hmmm...
My guess would be it's either a problem with the beta version of Linux, or they're changing the .deb specification or something and the old World of Goo deb is becoming obselete.
I would think that the Linux people would have some kind of bug reporter or something, so you could always ask them. The .deb works fine in Ubuntu and Kubuntu 10.10 for me.
You could also contact the people at humblebundle.com for technical support. They're kinda busy at the moment, as they're having another sale now, but they're usually vrey prompt in trying to help solve problems with the HIB games.

Another thing you could try is contacting 2DBoy directly at their contact form on 2dboy.com.

Sorry I can't help you directly, but good luck!

Thanks for the response. Beta 2 of Natty just came out, and it now has an "Ignore and Install" button. I will report this issue to the other parties you've mentioned.

Thanks again!

Oh, cool. That helps a lot. Smile
But yeah, they should be alerted ahead of time that their old .debs are about to be obseleted. So if you could contact them, that'd be cool. Smile