So I've been looking into other indie games

8 replies [Last post]

The one that caught my interest easily was Terraria. Any of you have/play this game often?

(its 5 bucks on steam right now)

To me, I feel like it has done a much better job than minecraft in this kind of genre.

1) Atmosphere. In minecraft, wherever you go, the atmosphere of the game is pretty much the same, even underground. In Terraria, it seems like each different area is like a world of its own.

2) Enemies. Minecraft's do not have giant, awesome boss monsters (may change with dragons) like Terraria has.

3) Presentation. Terraria has appealing graphics. For minecraft you need texture packs to make it look good for you.

4) Action. Lets face it: compare the two and terraria has way more action than minecraft.

5) Music. Minecraft has some sort of passive feel when it comes to its soundtracks.

Just my opinion.

Counterarguments that are quite well-known by people who play both:

1) Minecraft has (not very good) mod-support. There is a huge huge huge range of fan-made mods that can enrich your playing experience.
2) Terraria was made in XNA, meaning it's only playable on Xbox and PC. No chance of a port to any other platform.
3) The reason Terraria "looks better" is because it is 2D and doesn't have to worry about graphics-induced lag. The actual resolution of the blocks should be about the same, though. Minecraft's basic block resolution is 16x16. Terraria's blocks are also 16x16. The only reason Minecraft's look pixely is because the resolution of the game is much much higher in every case than the resolution of the textures, even with 128x128 textures. It'll look bad regardless, and this is with any 3D game.
4) So? I actually stopped playing Terraria because it had too much action. Besides, mining in Minecraft is much more peaceful than having extremely annoying cave bats flying at you every 2 seconds. The spawn rate in Terraria is very annoying.
5) Music in Minecraft is just done in a completely different style. While Terraria's is fast-paced and fun, Minecraft's is melodic and peaceful. Each game's music reflects is play style.
6) Minecraft's worlds don't end.
7) MP in Minecraft is more dev-friendly (and gives more options) than Terraria's; I hated Terraria's server software.
8.) Minecraft's (former) head developer is a jolly fat Swedish guy.

Another thing is that you can barely even compare the two. Minecraft is more of a sandbox than anything, and Terraria is almost an RPG with its NPCs, the only difference being you get to build the world. Notch said himself that instead of a "copy" he thought that Terraria was just a new game in a genre he inspired.

Also, this is unbiased facts. I like both, honestly. I can't say I like one more than the other, because they are completely different games. That's like asking if you like Minesweeper better than Tetris. They can barely be compared.

I see

I'd say Terraria is definitely worth the five bucks. I've been playing the game for a while (70+ hours on this pc) and thanks to the 1.1 update, there's even more stuff that I haven't done yet. I agree with Red's points, though. And no, you can't really compare Terraria to Minecraft. They both have their quirks and perks. They're both masterfully made, though, and I enjoy both tremendously.

So yes, buy Terraria. It's very fun.

^ My point exactly. I myself have around 120 hours on Terraria.

I showed my older brother terraria (who is pretty hellbent on playing certain games) and...

its only been 2 days of terraria. Steam says I have 21 hours on it. ;____________;

someone save us D:

btw i'm in cali for the week so...yea..

I LIVE IN CALI! (what part you at?)

RedTheGreen wrote:
I LIVE IN CALI! (what part you at?)

was near Los Angelas, Diamond Bar
I think u already told me before
Thats also why I was not able to get anything done :/
+ my disappearance for almost 2 weeks

Blah we should have met. :3

Anyway good to have you back.