The Humble Bundle for Android 4!

3 replies [Last post]

This time there's Splice, Eufloria, Waking Mars, Crayon Physics Deluxe, and Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP, all for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. Pay above the average and you get Machinarium as well.

Personally I'd only get this for Splice and Waking Mars, they look the most intriguing. I've heard good things about Machinarium, but point-and-click adventure games aren't my favourite so I dunno. I am enjoying S&S more than I expected though, so it might be the same. Either way I won't be getting this one though.

TL;DR this Bundle is good.

I had all the games before except Splice and Waking Mars. My opinion on each, since I like ranting for no apparent reason, especially about game design:

Splice is a really bizarre puzzle game, where the rules aren't explained at all and you're left trying to figure everything out on your own. While I generally advocate this sort of game design over overexplaining overcomplicated controls, a few pointers would have been nice, as I had to exit the game and restart it just so I could figure out the controls. The puzzles also grow gruesomely complex in a very short amount of time, which would be fine except there's generally only one solution to each puzzle. For most of my 30 minutes of my playtime so far, I was clicking around, wondering what the flip I was doing and how the flip I was managing to solve puzzles while having no idea what I was doing. Not how I generally like solving puzzle games.
That being said, everything else about the game is perfect. It's beautiful, the music and graphics are lovely, and the rewind/fast forward moves feature is really well made.

Waking Mars is also a really beautiful game. A bit dialogue-heavy for my taste, but that's just personal preference. The voice acting was decent overall. I really liked the idea of wandering around through cave systems and planting seeds for peaceful alien plants and animals. For the most part, it was all just dodging stationary enemies-- basic platforming stuff. Then the game introduced a moving enemy, which was cool and all that, so I entered the next room... and it was a horribly-designed twisty corridor with about twenty of them. No spaces between them to pause, no way to distract all of them, very low HP, so only a few hits would kill you... I basically ragequit in that chamber. Up to that point, though, it had been a fairly awesome, balanced, well-designed game, so it was strange. I think that was about an hour into the game; it was really good up until that point.

I generally can tell how much I like a game by how long I play it. If it's fantastic (World of Goo, Little Inferno, King's Bounty, Bastion, VVVVVV, etc), I play it for hours, and come back to it again and again. If it's good (Like the games in this bundle), I play it for half an hour to a few hours, and sometimes play for a few sessions. If it's horrible (Fieldrunners, Blueberry Garden, Brainpipe, Snuggle Truck, Spirits, the list goes on), I only play it for a few minutes, then close the game and never play it again. My playtime for the games in this Bundle is medium to high, so I'd say it's a pretty good Bundle. I think I just have too many games at this point, and I'm getting cynical of the ones I have.

As for Machinarium, it's up there in the "fantastic" playtime area. I also dislike point-and-clicks in general, and I stink at most of them, so I ended up following a walkthrough for this one for most of it, but it's amazing. TotalBiscuit made a review of it here that's worth watching.

NO MORE STUPID MEME JOKES?! Shock (wait, what is Meme?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

For example, "IT'S OVER 9000!!!" or "All your base are belong to us". Apparently they used memes in previous videos, although I didn't personally recognise any.