UI Design

12 replies [Last post]

I'm not very happy with the "ease of use" of the site. It's more an evolution of multiple features grafted upon each other than an actual design, and consequently even I find it unintuitive to find what I'm looking for. If anyone has any specific suggestions, I would welcome them.

Anything that requires graphical changes needs a graphic artist to amend the layout, so if you have that skill, speak up too. I have the .psd for the current design.

-davidc

I have something on my mind for moths... it's just a small idea

when viewing /download/level page, the levels are prearranged from best to worst rated. It would be nice if there is an option to arrange them from newest to oldest

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

How about that wog2 game nobody is busy with any more? It would be good to have an entire community to send in ides, suggestions, and other cool things (maybe even some new programming) to keep the machine moving!

also, the forum has a nice feature that says [2 new] at the top. it would be nice to have this on the addin pages, especially for the really long ones like woogle

I thought they did already! Tongue

If we're talking "tweaks", rather than a complete site redesign, then....
I'd suggest...

Pull the Forum and Leaderboards items out of the GooFans menu and make them buttons in their own right.

Change the "World of Goo Addins" button link to All Addins

Make the "View all profiles" and "Upload Your Profile" on the leaderboards page far more prominent, top of page would be good. And maybe add top 10 "Balls collected", "least Moves" etc.. at the moment it's just all about the towers.

I think the Level Addin list is a bit "daunting".. 16 pages now.
Maybe compact the entries, omit or curtail the summary text, smaller thumbnails and go to 25 (or more) per page. Or add "index" pages in parallel with the lists.
And I'm with Pavke, being able to sort by Downloads or Rating or Date would be useful.

And I think WooGLE should have its own menu, like GooTool does.
At the moment it's JAA ("just another addin")
The info/FAQ/Tutorial pages and the reference guide are in the Developers book, but don't have an entry on the Developers menu, so it's not obvious that they exist and are difficult to find even if you know they are there.

Better search would be good too! It suffers from the "common" Google Search problem, it does find everything but the link is usually to "...page=2" and when you go there, the thing you want isn't on page 2 any more.

Thanks for all these ideas, I'll be implementing them over the next couple of days.

In the meantime, if you notice any unusual features or bugs in the site, things that don't work as they should, or that look weird, or major features that are missing, or things that are confusing, please report them now while I'm doing an overhaul.

-davidc

How about "show unread" button and "mark as read"(meaning all new posts) button?

it would also be nice for moderators to have list of the unpublished goomods on goofans.com rather than in email

Gotta agree with Pavke: I managed to miss some posts due to many much posting at once! Tongue

@Grant
There is such a thing already: http://goofans.com/admin/content/node Wink

@James
I haven't been here for almost 2 months so you can guess how lost I am in all these new posts Smile

hmm... i did not know about that. thanks!

Maybe that wheel (gear?) on the bottom of each page can be changed into a GIF. It helps if my connection is being slow and can't load each frame in a short amount of time. The page start spamming requests, and the download never finishes, so it keeps on spamming requests. (It happened today, at around lunch time till the evening. It seemed that either someone was uploading something large to the server, the server had a DOS attack, or that there was some other major download thing going on.)

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!