sync World of Goo progress across iOS devices?

7 replies [Last post]

Is there a way to sync your progress between the iPad and iPhone? I generally use my iPad to play this awesome game, however it would be nice to use my iPhone to pick up where I left off when I don't have the iPad with me.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

If you know where to look for the profile file, you can move it back and forth between devices to keep the latest version with you at all times. Seems like more of a hassle than you were planning, though. I'm not sure there's a way to do it automatically; maybe search the App store for an app that can autotransfer and sync files between devices. I'm not an iPad-version aficionado, either; anybody else know the exact file he's looking for to sync?

If the save file is easily accessed, maybe I can sync them with dropbox?

Yeah, that may work.

Here's the doc that talks about how the iPad version of World of Goo stores the profile: http://goofans.com/developers/game-file-formats/profile-file-format

I'm not sure if dropbox would need root permission to sync the file, (I'm not even sure what you call root permissions on iOS. Tongue) or if you'd need to jailbreak, or whatever, but it's worth a shot to see if it just flat-out works. Hopefully someone with greater iOS knowledge than I will respond soon...

That worked! I was able to use a program called iFunBox to copy the "com.2dboy.worldofgoo.plist" file from my iPad to my iPhone. You don't need a jailbroken device either!!!

All I had to do was open iFunBox, plug in my iDevice and go to the following location on both devices:

User Applications\World of Goo\Library\Preferences

I'm really glad I was able to do this, but it would be really great it there was an auto-sync of some sort. Unfortunately, Dropbox can't see the local filesystem, so I can't do it that way.

Anyone have any better ideas?

...I just tested and moving that file seems to work for other games too. Just an FYI.

Cool beans. Glad you found a solution that works! Smile Sorry there isn't an "official" solution to the problem.

That's awesome! I'm sure other people who find this using Google will appreciate the solution you found.