Chapter 6

41 replies [Last post]

I found a really cool World of Goo wikia, available at www.worldofgoo.wikia.com. They have an article about the cancelled Chapter 6, which (by plot) seems to be more of a Chapter 0, taking place in the spring before Chapter 1, one year before the Epilogue. I present a quote from Kyle:

The Moon was a prequel to World of Goo, taking place “one year ago” when World of Goo Corporation was a brand new Web 2.0 startup company, and they decided to monetize the Moon by making it ad-supported with community features. Eventually they detonate the moon, and replace it with M.O.O.N. 2.0, a giant ball of homogenized glowing/flickering Goo Balls, to create a giant hi-definition LCD panel in the sky for displaying important animated marketing messages to the World of Goo down below. The plot is told through a love story, involving “The Architect” who changes jobs at the end, and becomes one of the characters we meet in World of Goo.

So, that gives me an idea: how about we work together and make a surprise gift for 2D Boy, as a fan-made Chapter 6? I admit we couldn't make it as a chapter form, but we'll simply ask if 2D Boy could play the levels and tell us what they think about it. If they like it, we can give it to them as a gift, perhaps for Christmas 2010. The only other modification to World of Goo requested is that also the Epilogue be given more levels to be considered a true Chapter 5, just to give Chapter 6 a more "solid" feel. I will be happy to lead the operation.

But anyways, the plot of Chapter 5 can be made showing the goo-balls' slow and steady decline, maybe introduce ONE more type of goo, probably similar to Corporation goo, which will be shown as a grey lighter than common goo but darker than Albino, the corporation goo can form up to two legs and can be attached and removed. The corporation goo will most likely replace ivy goo (which seem to disappear in Chapter 4). But more on topic, the flow from Chapter 5 to Chapter 6 will be as the Telescope falls back to Earth, and the Sign Painter then remembers from a year ago how he built the telescope and his life of romance, from when he had hope (the Sign Painter is presumably The Architect Kyle was talking about).

Chapter 6's icon will be World of Goo Corporation. Chapter 6 is called "A Tale of Two Goo-Balls" and shows in the chapter map World of Goo Corporaton and above and to the slight left of it the Moon, the Moon covered with WoG Corp. billboards and such. Chapter 6 is with gameplay according to a Chapter 6, but by plot is more like a Chapter 0. Throughout most of the game (levels Hang Low to the end of Chapter 5) World of Goo Corporation will remain like in the current World of Goo, but when Chapter 6 is unlocked, WoG Corp. is temporarily unavailable, for it has to be used for Chapter 6 (one level of Chapter 6 will be similar to WoG Corp, with 300 balls and a pipe some 25 meters away).

I finally came up with a plot for Chapter 6. Like the original plan, it takes place in the spring before Chapter 1. World of Goo Corporation is in existence, but is not yet open. On the one particular island, there is a goo-like creature known as hoo, which is identical to goo in appearance except it is a square shape. The first couple of levels involve the hoo, until the level "Apollo 18". In that level, the player has to build a hoo structure some 25-30 feet high using some 100-150 balls. Once the player does so, a cut scene shows the structure being lured up from Earth to the Moon, attracted by the Moon's gravity. The structure then lands on the Moon.

The next level in Chapter 6 is called "Detonator" and takes place on the Moon. A new type of hoo is introduced, but it is circular like goo. The new goo species, called "electric goo" is basically a flammable form of clear goo. The player uses a large combination of balloons and electric goo-balls to build across gears, blades, and rising and falling terrain elevations to reach a fire. Once this happens, the fire quickly spreads to the main structure, and it explodes, destroying the Moon with it. A cut scene shows as the Moon explodes, its chunks falling down and hitting into the sea, forming the islands for Chapters 2-5. Hoo is rendered extinct, with the exception of the electric goo. A new species of goo is introduced, called Rotten Goo, which is just like Ivy goo but cannot be detached.

The following level, called "New Moon", involves building "coal goo" (like Albino Goo but can be detached) into a very large circle (a circular chamber contains the coal goo, the chamber opens when there is no more empty space. The player builds a large and complex circle, and when the chamber opens, a cut scene shows as the circle is launched into the air, and forms the M.O.O.N. 2.0, used to show World of Goo Corp. advertising messages, such as "Be ready for the pipes,". Goo Corp. quickly realizes the value of goo, and begins calling for the Architect to design the system.

Over the course of the chapter, many new goo-ball species are introduced, and the Architect grows increasingly weary. In the third-to-last level, called "X", introduces the Pink Goo, a species of goo that can combine with up to FIVE goo-balls. The Architect meets one of these balls, and the two fall in love. The second-to-last level is called "Why", and the Architect has to build a pipe system from "talc goo", a periwinkle species goo, like the clear goo, but it can be removed. It is not flammable. Once a pipe is built, he asks himself why he still continues his current job, when he truly wanted to paint.

The final level of Chapter 6 is called "Zend". In the level, the player uses coal goo to build a massive statue devoted to his love, the pink goo (this is the power plant in Chapter 2). The Architect then resigns from his job, and then decides to become a painter, the Sign Painter. There is then an infestation of Ugly Goo in the statue, due to the Sign Painter's lack of care to the statue, and most of the goo-balls, including the pink balls, are destroyed by an Ugly takeover. The only goo species surviving are the common, dark, albino, ivy, water, beauty, ugly, fuse, skull, vile, and the bombs. The screen then whitens, and the closing sign says, "Start of Chapter 1", instead of "End of Chapter 6". The normal credits play, and at the bottom, the screen turns to a sky blue color, and the music shifts from the triumphant music to the twisted carnival music, showing eighteen goo-balls falling down, four of which form a trapezoid, showing the introductory scene for Going Up (the first level of Chapter 1). It gives a sense of completion to the game, with an ending I think is just as touching as the current.

If anybody likes my rough idea, tell me! Any further suggestions are encouraged.

"It was amazing: I felt a sudden earthquake, before feeling a gradually growing lightness. I was drifting higher and higher, watching in awe. I saw before me the skeletons of all the dead of my once-proud genus, of every species, of every island. I could

that is very cool!
By the way, have you(all modders in general) found a way to add levels to the world map instead of a chapter?
I assume you (all modders in general) have not found a way to make a button in one level lead to another level (as I have seen no examples of which), but is this possible?

98% of the teen population believes those "98% of ... if you are one of the 2% who don't copy this into your sig" sigs. copy and paste this into your sig if you are one of the 2% who don't believe them.
-madaco

I'm glad you like my idea.

And to answer your second question, it's currently impossible to place fan-made World of Goo levels in a specific place: once downloaded, they are automatically placed in the upper left-hand corner of Chapter 1. And I am not sure of this, but I believe there is no way to make fan-made levels "connect" to each other like 2D Boy-made levels.

"It was amazing: I felt a sudden earthquake, before feeling a gradually growing lightness. I was drifting higher and higher, watching in awe. I saw before me the skeletons of all the dead of my once-proud genus, of every species, of every island. I could

@MethanalCHO

Most of us already know about Chapter 6 - Moon 2.0 There is a lot of evidence in the games xml files.
I liked you idea. The original plan was to have few levels on the Moon and an another original sandbox mod like WoG Corporation but different.

currently GooTool places new levels in Chapter 1 it's because davidc made it that way. It is possible to place levels where you want by editing chapter(number).xml but I'm not sure what will happen if you made it a goomod and try it with gootool.

it is impossible to add new chapters. It requires editing World of Goo.exe

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

And we can't edit that because of the copyrigths or the code(harcoded)?

Crazeh man!

I thought I can make another island, so i made some levels and island's images and started to put it into game.
But suddenly an error appeared and I couldn't launch WoG.
But why there's error, shouldn't WoG be prepared to add Moon chapter?

No.

THEY CANCELLED THE MOON CHAPTER!TO MAKE THE GAME HAVE A FAIR(PRICE) AND FUN!

AND THEY WON'T MAKE ANY WOG UPDATES!IN FACT THEY LEFT WOG THE ONLY THING THEY DO WITH WOG IS SELLING IT!WHY DO YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE PREPARED FORMOON CHAPTER!

Crazeh man!

OK, chill out Laughing out loud

Joris:
You can't edit World of Goo because of both copyrights and because it's hardcoded. There is such thing as reverse engineering, but it is complicated and illegal.

Okay, here are my comments:

Pavke, I know they place new levels there. The idea is we make them and ask 2D Boy to try it out, if they like it they can add in the new Chapter 6 updates themselves. And while many know of the Chapter 6's planned existence, the plot was quite elusive and little-known...

Martin, I think we'll have to give our levels to 2D Boy as a big .goomod file, if they like it they can add it themselves. It's currently impossible for GooTool to add a new chapter without causing a crash.

Joris and MOM, they made GooTool so we could make our own levels, and it must be legal. We're giving it to 2D Boy as a gift, if they like it, they can add it themselves. We won't sell it ourselves, we're giving it to them as a gift free of charge.

MethanalCHO: Yeah, I got that part. I was just responding to Joris' question:
"And we can't edit that because of the copyrigths or the code(harcoded)?"

@MethanalCHO
You can try to ask them for yourself, but I doubt they will respond. It has already been asked a few times past year but nothing happened Sad They moved on to the next game I it's unlikely they will make an expansion.

Like Joris and MOM4Evr said, editing .exe by reverse engineering is hard and illegal but possible. It requires knowledge of "assembly programing". I already tryed it and probably could do it with some help form my friends but it's long and hard and if I do it somehow it's illegal to publish it.

MethanalCHO wrote:
Joris and MOM, they made GooTool so we could make our own levels, and it must be legal.

Little correction here. Dovdc made GooTool, not 2D Boy. And GooTool copyes the original WoG folder and edites only copied .xmls not the coded .exe

And for those who did'nt understand why it would require editing WOG exe...
Applications just runs files.But they sometimes contain files.Rigth?

P.S.I wrote it because i felt smart Smile

Crazeh man!

madaco wrote:
I assume you (all modders in general) have not found a way to make a button in one level lead to another level (as I have seen no examples of which), but is this possible?

If you mean "player must complete level A before they can play level B", this is theoretically possible, and is something I plan to add to GooTool. The actual XML required to cause this dependency is easy.

The problem - and the reason why I haven't done it yet - is that there should really be a visual "pathway" between the levels to indicate to the player that one comes after the other, in the same way the official levels do. I have not yet devoted any time to producing a smart enough layout engine to layout the levels in chapter 1 to support this (which would also require considering the width of the level's name). At the moment they're all simply laid out in a grid.

-davidc

I agree (what am i agreeing to?)

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

GooMaster2000 wrote:
I agree (what am i agreeing to?)

I wish I knew, Goo Master MM, I wish I knew...

Do you guys not understand Mr. Croft here?

Basically, he's saying that there should be links between levels, like in the real game. When you defeat one level, a visual path appears to the second level, and the second level becomes available for playing.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooh

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

GooMaster2000 please stop with unrelated posts or I'll start removing them Wink

ok sorry

Made my first addin!!! Laughing out loud

well actually what I meant was is it possible to make a button leading to a different level in a level rather than one of the islands, for example allowing for levels where there is a destructible wall, and if you destroy the wall you can see the button and click it to go to a different level.(like a hidden level)

ack, im bad at explaining things...
is there a way to make to link to a level be contained in another level rather than a island, or is there something different between levels and islands?

98% of the teen population believes those "98% of ... if you are one of the 2% who don't copy this into your sig" sigs. copy and paste this into your sig if you are one of the 2% who don't believe them.
-madaco

@madaco, that would be cool!

@methanalCHO, uh, methanalCHO, you missed out something...

The elusive Chapter 6 is on hold, and I’m happy to say that all versions of the game will be identical and we won’t have to rush to finish extra content just to justify a price tag. If we release any additional content, we will make it available on all platforms, to all people, at the same time. No more of this “region” nonsense.
As long as we’re talking about extra content, it might be worth mentioning some of the amazing things our community has done. They have created a level editor, misc parameter editors, a tower viewer, and my favorite - an open translation project to get the game running in as many languages as possible. And it looks like they are actually creating an additional chapter all on their own. To support them, Ron and I are working to make the game more moddable. I’m curious and a little scared to see what they come up with.''

—Kyle Gabler, World Of Goo(d News) at rockpapershotgun.com

Taken from the world of goo wikia

the 'community' is us. All we have to do is confirm this info. If true, 2D boy is probably considering chapter 6...

@madaco: it impossible to have buttons in the level, leading to another level! and there is 99% chance that it will never be possible.

@GooMaster2000: uh GooMaster2000, that interview is almost a year old! kyle and ron already know about goofans and all this, they even have an account here. Chapter 6 isn't coming, stop hoping Smile

its a year old?

wat about the...never mind...

i guess we have to go with the goomod...

Joris wrote:
And for those who did'nt understand why it would require editing WOG exe...
Applications just runs files.But they sometimes contain files.Right?

P.S.I wrote it because i felt smart Smile

No. Here's a little bit more about what's going on.

WoG essentially contains 3 major pieces (I'm simplifying here). One is a physics engine, that knows how to deal with things that have weight, motion, "springyness" (gooballs placed close will push), support (even a LONG goostrand doesn't want to get smaller than it's initial size, or so it seems), etc. That comes in at least two different flavors: x86, and PPC. It doesn't interact with the OS; it wouldn't need to be changed.

There's a second part that interacts with the OS. It comes in PPC-Mac, i386 (i586?)-Mac, x86-Windows, x86-Linux, and possibly (I don't know?) PPC-Linux. This does all the graphics. This part probably does not need to change -- it reads in xml files, and generates a physics model for the physics engine, drawing the results on screen.

There's a third part that is responsible for everything else. That includes the world, knowing that there are 6 buttons on the world, each leading to a different season/area, knowing that one of those (the "chapter 6" zone) can be one of three different things (original GooCorp, Virtual GooCorp, or Destroyed GooCorp). At some point, this is the part of the code that has to determine what xml files to open and pass to the modeler/displayer.

This third part is where the "fixed number of levels" is hardcoded. Either this, or the second part, has the special case for "infinite sized playground" hardcoded in it. (Probably the second, but I don't know).

From what I understand, we can put in 5 new chapters to replace the existing chapters by replacing xml files. We can have these chapters require sequencing and draw the pathing if we fix the layout/positions. But that's replacing; we cannot add a new chapter without altering that third section of code.

And, to do that, we need to modify 4 or 5 different programs. While each one does the same thing, they are written for different operating systems and chip-types.

Now, someone was asking about buttons that lead to other places, possibly being hidden and needing to be uncovered. We see those "buttons that go elsewhere", on the opening screen, and on the 5 chapters. We see the physics engine at work in each of those (as well as balls on the opening screen). We've seen bombs that blow things up, and blocks that have things hidden.

It's very feasible that we could have balls on a chapter screen, including sleeping bombs that uncover more stuff by blowing up walls. So you could have to "build towards" something.

"And, to do that, we need to modify 4 or 5 different programs. While each one does the same thing, they are written for different operating systems and chip-types."

I think you are wrong here. Me and my friends opend WoG.exe and could only find two places where Chapter 6 is mentioned. We experimented with those two palces but it didn't help. Some thing else is needed. As for different operating systems you need to changes .dmg for Mac and tar.gz/deb/rpm for Linux.
I think chip-types are irrelevant

"It's very feasible that we could have balls on a chapter screen, including sleeping bombs that uncover more stuff by blowing up walls. So you could have to "build towards" something."

did you see this mods Wink
http://goofans.com/download/level/towersome-mod
http://goofans.com/download/theme/intelligent-islands

Pavke wrote:
I think you are wrong here. Me and my friends opend WoG.exe and could only find two places where Chapter 6 is mentioned. We experimented with those two palces but it didn't help. Some thing else is needed. As for different operating systems you need to changes .dmg for Mac and tar.gz/deb/rpm for Linux.
I think chip-types are irrelevant

Those files -- .exe, .dmg, and rpm -- are containers. The rpm and dmg are explicitly designed as containers, and the .exe has been overloaded as a container.

The .dmg (and other containers, but I haven't looked at them) contains LOTS of files, and a few programs. Most of the data files are the same for any OS; the programs do come in OS specific versions for both PPC and i386 chips (they may also come in x64, but I think WoG was written before the x64 API was finished). (i386 or x86 = 386 or higher; i586/i686 = Pentium or higher; x64 = 64-bit modern cpu)

The .exe's only contain one program (Microsoft Windows only comes on i386-class computers); the .rpm can be one or two (depends on what they compiled it for). They'll still have all the data files.

To the extent that the WoG game is an engine driven by data files, you can modify those data files to do anything the engine can deal with; for the physics engine, that's just about everything.

To the extent that the WoG game has special cases coded in for certain things (such as the infinite size of the corporation level, or a fixed number (6) of buttons on the opening screen, or the lighting behavior as you move the mouse around the world), you cannot just modify the data files to change the behavior. For those, you need to modify the programs.

Quote:
"It's very feasible that we could have balls on a chapter screen, including sleeping bombs that uncover more stuff by blowing up walls. So you could have to "build towards" something."

did you see this mods Wink
http://goofans.com/download/level/towersome-mod
http://goofans.com/download/theme/intelligent-islands

Did not; I'll look at them.

Keybounce wrote:
I think you are wrong here. Me and my friends opend To the extent that the WoG game is an engine driven by data files, you can modify those data files to do anything the engine can deal with; for the physics engine, that's just about everything.

To the extent that the WoG game has special cases coded in for certain things (such as the infinite size of the corporation level, or a fixed number (6) of buttons on the opening screen, or the lighting behavior as you move the mouse around the world), you cannot just modify the data files to change the behavior. For those, you need to modify the programs.

You are talking to me like I'm a kid and don't know anything.
I KNOW all this!
Look at my mods: http://goofans.com/user/618

I know now to make levels and change data files!

The question is how to modify the games engine????
6 Chapter is forbidden by game engine and I'm trying to find out what do I need to change to make it possible to have Moon Chapter!

Guys? Is it really worth arguing over?

Not arguing, just pointing out. Smile

Okay, I'll leave that to your judgement.Wink