Yet another version of Wog Editor v0.69

30 replies [Last post]

Yup, here we go again...
got a couple of things working properly (compgeom mainly)
and added quite a bit of error checking / protection to try to limit WoG crashes and problems with goomod and....

Anyway... Get it here

Still on the look out for new and interesting ways to crash or "bug" WoG..
So if you make a level with the latest version of WoG Editor, play it and WoG crashes when the level starts... let me know.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Daft as Brush wrote:
play it and WoG crashes when the level starts...

... or ends. Please also always play through your level at least once before release.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Hope I'm right here Wink

Because I didn' found a linux version of wogeditor and a few other ones wanted one, too, I thaught I could compile it... So, the source is the same as before, I just added some new helpful textfiles and a new dev-env-third party (pyinstaller). Of course, I had to modify the wogeditor.py( now 2 versions: wogeditor.py and wogeditor_linux.py)... In fact, I don't know where to upload it Sad ...And some testers weren't bad^^ I've a binary and a source package
I don't like uploading to an oneclick-filehoster, so I hope, It's here okay

Fantastic! Big smile
You won't be able to upload here...
The page requires special permission to upload any file not .goomod.

But if you can upload to filehoster or anywhere similar... (I use MS Skydrive because I have a hotmail account)
I'll dl the source and take a look. And I'm sure we can find you some testers for the binary.

If it "looks good" then I can upload the binary onto the WoG Editor 0.6+ page.

Also, the next version 0.70 is almost ready... and this should remove the need for a special "linux" version of wogeditor.py
Maybe we test your binaries from filehoster then release v0.70 on the main page.
What do you think?

Great!

the package is a bit big (88 MB)^^, because there's pyinstaller integrated

Note: the binaries are only tested on ubuntu (i386), hope it works fine for other architectures

here is the link:
// link removed, it's too big, so I've deleted it, look down for download
and checksum
MD5: E2C79CF85CF244C3C4861DBF0BACCE08

hope, it is not broken^^

WoW! That's Big!
I've just looked at the pyinstaller site.. and their download is about 1.5Mb...
Windows needs about 25Mb all told (uncompressed, 7Mb installer) using py2exe (including PyQt and QT binaries)
Why's this so big!?

I don't have a Linux platform at the moment, so I can't test it, but I imagine others will.

@Others
Let us know how you get on!

I have Linux... I'll report back at the end of the day-(CET)

Sorry for being suspicious, you are new here, does this contain any viruses and that sort of things... It's to big.

EIDT: A second a ago I could download it, and now when I tried it from the linux it says that host has removed it... Why?

EDIT 1: Oh, OK Laughing out loud

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

@Pavke - Cheers
I think the size is explained by....
The main zip contains 2 zips one for binaries one for "source"

linux-bin
looks like it accidentally contains 2 copies of all the linux binaries.. extra 24Mb

src-patched
contains all the source, but also contains the full installers for all the packages... python, pyqt, pywin py2exe and pyinstaller.

It's OK for a test... but we'll have to sort out something more efficient for "release"

@0pac
There's something "iffy" going on in the linux-bin zip file..

copying.txt is 24.4Mb!! and is not a text file...
Looks like it's some sort of compressed file (because it won't compress any futher)... but I can't find a file type that works for opening it.

From it's size I'd guess it's a compressed version of all the linux binary files...
Err.. can you check!

oh right...

I've checked the package again, and it seems, there was an error while copying copying.txt (it takes 23 MB !) And there are the dev-env-third-parties from original wogeditor (39 MB)

sorry Wink

I've deleted the old package and uploaded a new one (all dependencies are listed, of course):

http://rapidshare.com/files/385267367/wogedit-0.69-alternate.tar.bz2.html
MD5: DB8ECFA24C4C157951ACCF699CAF78C4

EDIT: No there aren't any viruses, it was just a mistake/ error (probably because it was late, last night^^)

Ok, I've had a bit of a think...

I'm pretty sure we won't need separate Linux and Windows source.
The new version 0.70 should be fine for both.
But I'd like to confirm that... so...

@0pac
If you could dl this
I've cleaned up the structure and removed some of the unnecessary files...
and I've included files.xml (.xml and .bin) in the src folder.

So if you could drop it in a fresh folder and try it.

NB: Turns out there's a couple of bugs in PyQT 4.7.2
One of them was causing the Fatal Exception on Exit bug
I've now moved to 4.7.3.. which has fixed it.
I didn't see anywhere you mention what version of PyQT you were using.. but if it's not v4.7.3... I'd upgrade now!

Anyway... If it works.. Could produce new binaries for it

I think we'll be better (for the sake of dl size, and the 20Mb limit on uploads here...) if you produce 2 "zips"..

One with the WoG Editor binary, files.xml.bin and the Copying and Version texts
One with the 3 "util" apps.
Since they aren't required to run Wog Editor there's no need to force people to download them... and it'll "handily" split the file into chunks less than 20Mb

Also if you could make Readme-linux and 3rdParty-linux text files (you already have something very close to both) might just need tweaking for the new version.
Zip up the lot and bung it on rapidshare..

I'll drop the text files in the next source release, and upload the "zipped" binaries when I release the windows exe's

Sound good?

You're rigth, we don't need 2 versions, but it was just a little "hack"(no...not really)^^

hmm, seeing in official ubuntu repository, I have PyQt 4.7.2 , so I'm going to install 4.7.3 tomorrow, okay?

my personal ToDo:
- tweaking the 2 textfiles
- 2 seperate binary archives

fine, I got it into my brain, but first I should do somethin for school

EDIT: I'm a liar...I'm installing PyQt right now^^

....instaling pyinstaller 1.4
after running 'make':

gcc -pthread -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/python2.6 -I../common -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DHAVE_WARNINGS -c ../common/launch.c -o launch.o
../common/launch.c:45:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
../common/launch.c: In function ‘checkCookie’:
../common/launch.c:272: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
../common/launch.c: At top level:
../common/launch.c:280: warning: function declaration isn’t a prototype
../common/launch.c: In function ‘openArchive’:
../common/launch.c:365: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
../common/launch.c: In function ‘decompress’:
../common/launch.c:807: error: ‘z_stream’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/launch.c:807: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
../common/launch.c:807: error: for each function it appears in.)
../common/launch.c:807: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘zstream’
../common/launch.c:810: error: ‘zlibVersion’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/launch.c:817: error: ‘zstream’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/launch.c:824: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘inflateInit’
../common/launch.c:826: error: ‘inflate’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/launch.c:826: error: ‘Z_FINISH’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/launch.c:828: error: ‘inflateEnd’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/launch.c: In function ‘extract’:
../common/launch.c:858: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
../common/launch.c: In function ‘runScripts’:
../common/launch.c:1042: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘PI_PyRun_SimpleString’ differ in signedness
make: *** [launch.o] Error 1

hmm, sure you work on an ext-formatted hard drive ?
Have you installed python-dev package ?

If I had to guess... I'd say you're missing the zlib library... but it's all "Linux" to me...

@0pac / Pavke
I assumed that the final binaries could be used without installing .. well.. anything else...
Is that right?

oh, yeah, it could be zlib (I have it installed^^)
yepp, the binaries can be used without installing.

EDIT: there's the opportunity to create .deb-packages (like .exe or .msi setups on windows), but it's very complex, to get it work for many architectures

0pac wrote:
oh, yeah, it could be zlib (I have it installed^^)
yepp, the binaries can be used without installing.

Nope, I think I have zlib, nevertheless I installed it again vai terminal.

First I didn't use external disc, now I have tried that too but still got the same error. (BTW, why is it important to run it on ext-hdd? ) (ext-formated? it wasn't, can't do it now, to much important data)

Don't worry, I don't have time right now but I'll get deeper in to it right after my midterm exams are finished, witch is day after tomorrow. Wink

EDIT: What Linux distributions do you need me to test? I can get most of them up and running in no time(if I can get pyinstall to work Smile ) (Currently I'm on Ubuntu 8,9,10)

@Pavke
For me the important question is... Does the main binary work on any of them?

Apparently it should work without installing anything else... Have you tried it yet?

with ext-formatted i meant a hard drive which has an ext2, ext3 or ext4 filesystem (because linux often (at least on my computer^^) seems not to write rights correcton windows filesystems). But you don't need to compile it again(you can if you like), you can test the binaries I've compiled

hmm I think, many distros as possible...important are well known distros I quess, such as Mandriva, Fedora (and other...more later) and some random. I will try setting up a virtual machine with 64bit linux and compiling it for 64bit, but you (me, too) can test the actual binaries on 64bit, maybe it works (would be great Laughing out loud)

*hope, my english isn't too bad Wink

@Daft as Brush
When I tried running binary nothing happened (no error, nothing) and then I open README_linux and tried going step by step so that I can compile my own bin.
I'm currently testing on Ubu8, I guess 9 will work the same as 8 but I'm not sure about Ubu10...

@Opec
"with ext-formatted i meant a hard drive which has an ext2, ext3 or ext4 filesystem" - why didn't you say so Laughing out loud. That's what I first thought but that '-formated' somehow made me think otherwise Smile
Yes, I'm on ext3. And I'm all 32bit...

So like I sad, your binaries don't work for me so I've tried making one of my own based on your code...

(6hours till midterm exam and it's the middle of the night and I'm here with you guys Smile )

EDIT: If only Soultaker was here, he knows Linux blindfolded (he actually port WoG to linux, did you guys know that?)

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Yeah. Tongue

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

I thought that you probably found it didn't work... but you hadn't said..
And just wanted to make sure you hadn't missed them and just gone head-long straight into the installing everything phase.

Pavke wrote:
6hours till midterm exam and it's the middle of the night and I'm here with you guys
Dude! GO TO BED! Tongue
This can wait.

Daft as Brush wrote:
I thought that you probably found it didn't work... but you hadn't said..
And just wanted to make sure you hadn't missed them and just gone head-long straight into the installing everything phase.

Pavke wrote:
6hours till midterm exam and it's the middle of the night and I'm here with you guys
Dude! GO TO BED! Tongue
This can wait.

Actually when I saw you and Gryphen talking about Editor linux port I've decided to try it my self. I've tried pyinsall, freeze, and some other (one man project) tools like: http://python-packager.com/
I've tried for hours but I didn't have any luck so I drop'd out.
Maybe all those extra mixed up libraries are causing this error.
Tomorrow I'll format my Ubu8 of all third party libraries and start clean all over again Smile

No sleep for me for 3 day! Laughing out loud I had one exam yesterday, one this afternoon and one tomorrow morning!
Actually, exam is about operating systems in general, how do they work, concurently and paralel programing, thread programing, managing controllers, processes, processor... so porting Editor to Linux is helpful Laughing out loud

I compiled the binaries on Ubuntu 10.04... I'll check, wether the binaries have some dependencies, but that shouldn't be the cause. Also I'm going to revise the README_linux, after I compiled 0.70 ...I gave the binaries to a friend , but over teamviewer he doesn't get along with that

EDIT:
we got it to run, but he uses ubuntu 10.04, too... it's quite simple:
open the folder with the binaries in the terminal and type: chmod a+rx filename
This command makes the file executable (sure, after compiling it's executable, but if you copy it to another system you have to redo it, that's probably why it didn't work for you, Pavke Smile )

PS: 0.70 beta is compiled, and I'm building the packages and revising the textfiles right now

I think I tried that... maybe not, I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 so we'll now see is there any difference. I can say for sure if it works on 9 it will work on 8. I'll give it a try and report back, thanks Smile

I think, I'm ready (hope, I didn't make a mistake^^)

new textfiles:
http://rapidshare.com/files/385716734/textfiles_for_src_wogeditor_linux....

wogeditor-070-beta-bin-linux:
http://rapidshare.com/files/385718387/wogeditor-070-beta-bin-linux.tar.b...

wogutils-070-beta-bin-linux:
http://rapidshare.com/files/385719178/wogutils-070-beta-bin-linux.tar.bz...

hope they work^^, readme for changing mode to executable included

I see your Making a section called "My First Level"...

How about using Enchanter's tutorial level he made in his forum topic "WoG Editor Tutorial" (Remember that this tutorial has Bugs in it! Tongue (Link: http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/modding/876 )

@James
The problem with Enchanter's tutorial (bugs aside) and the very original Wiki one on sourceforge , is they're pretty much a solid block of text. It's quite difficult to read, understand, absorb and keep switching back and forward to WoG Editor at the same time.
I've been thinking about adding lots of images, but I'm not sure it would help much.
So I'm going to try a "different way".

Binaries not working but I'm sure the problem is in my comp.

File "", line 31, in
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/iu.py", line 436, in importHook
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/iu.py", line 521, in doimport
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/wogeditor/build/pyi.linux2/wogeditor/outPYZ1.pyz/metatreeui", line 1, in
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/iu.py", line 477, in importHook
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/iu.py", line 495, in doimport
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/iu.py", line 297, in getmod
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/archive.py", line 468, in getmod
File "/home/vincent/Desktop/wogedit/pyinstaller-1.4/iu.py", line 109, in getmod
ImportError: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /tmp/_MEIMbGJjb/libQtGui.so.4)

Congratulations! It seems, you found a new dependency, I've not checked Wink

try to install GNU C library (in synaptic on ubuntu i686 system: libc6-i686)
Just search in synaptic for libc6 and make sure it's version 2.11 (use lucid lynx or look at http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ for the newest version)

I'm taking this topic back up because it seems the discussion about Linux building is here. I've tested to compile yesterday and it works fine, thanks a lot Opac for your researches and your documentation. Smile

Two suggestions :

• We don't need to merge the WooGLE src folder with pyinstaller. From the pyinstaller folder, we can just launch:
    python Makespec.py -F Path/To/WooGLE/src/wogeditor.py
    It's a bit cleaner, avoid to put all together, and allow to reuse the same pyinstaller for future buildings.

At least, the src folder can just be moved in the pyinstaller one, without merging content.
    python Makespec.py -F src/wogeditor.py

• It seems that super-user rights are not necessary to build the final binary.
    python Build.py wogeditor/wogeditor.spec
    works fine instead of sudo python Build.py /Path/pyinstaller-1.4/wogeditor/wogeditor.spec which ask you for your password and make protected folders that only root can delete.

To summarize, an express build of WooGLE (assuming that you've got all dependencies and that the editor src folder was moved in the pyinstaller folder):

cd PATH/TO/pyinstaller-x.x

cd source/linux
python Make.py  #[-n|-e]
make

cd ../../
python Configure.py

python Makespec.py -F src/wogeditor.py   
python Build.py wogeditor/wogeditor.spec

Then get the newly created wogeditor (in wogeditor/dist/) with files.xml.bin (in src/) together and here is a functional Linux build!

But this is an express tutorial, the Opac's one is far better and complete, read it at least the first one, as well as pyinstaller documentation.

Note that if you don't change of pyinstaller every time, you will just need to do the last two Makespec.py and Build.py for the next build (I think).

And if you don't want to build, you can just run WooGLE with a symple python wogeditor.py directly in the source, without all this pyinstaller and compilation stuff. Wink

You're right!
Some days ago, I ran it with python but I forgot to post it, thanks!
Sometimes it's goo'd to have a binary, if you can't access to python, for example

I think, I'm not going to build the binaries again, I'll just advance the textfile with your suggestions and I'll make it more clearly to read