Mod Manager for Android - reactivating the project

19 replies [Last post]

Some time ago I posted about my work on World of goo Mod Manager for Android. About a few months of inactivity the topic was closed.

Now I'm reactivating this project. It's already on github so you can see my current source code.

In current state it doesn't install any mod, but it creates new separate World of Goo installation with name "WoG Mod TEST".
I could test it only on Android 5 (testing it on emulator isn't a good idea...) so I don't know if it works on any other version (and any other device).

Maybe this project is a bit pointless because not many people still play World of Goo but I thought it would be at least a fun project to do.

//Update: It actually works, here is a video from test:

Haha that's cool, could you send it to me when it's done? Btw, me and my friend RobbyJaiel actually figured out how to install goomods on Android all ready and we have some videos about it on YouTube, but I would love to see your idea as well, because in our version, the sign painters don't work when you click on them and the music doesn't play in the custom levels

Here's some of our stuff:

http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/general-discussion/12547#new

It will probably have similar bugs as you described, it may be some limitation of android version of World of Goo (or format difference). I will see what I can do.

I'm not sure how did you install it but I think you did it by first installing it on PC version and then decrypting each modified file. Then use apktool to modify content of the apk and install it on android.
I can't use apktool - it's only for PC.

I'm currently trying to modify gootool source code so that I can use it in my project as a library. Huge parts of the code don't even compile on android (awt and swing are gone, including ImageIO).

The critical part for me seems to be AddinInstaller class - I will try to get it working first.

If I get something more working - I will upload a video and .apk file of my Mod Manager (as far as I know gootool license allows me to redistribute modified versions of it as long as it's not named gootool).

Also, do you know the limit of .apk file size? I've read that it's 50MB, which is about the size of World of Goo apk. I know that it's true for everything downloaded from play store. If it's also true for installing .apk files directly - a lot of mods won't work.

After I thought that I installed a goomod it turned out that modded World of Goo crashes on startup. For some strange reason it can't read it's own xml files, even untouched properties/config.xml.mp3. I have no idea what is wrong.

//edit: It still crashes if I disable installing the addin. Something else is wrong...

Did u put .mp3 on the end of the files? Cuz that's how they work

Yes, there is .mp3 at the end.
It must be something wrong with my new apk repackaging code.
Is .apk really just a normal .zip file?
When I extract the apk, use the same code to modify androidManifest and resources file as before and repackage it - I can install it, but it crashes (and logs say that it can't load some files). Does the order of zip entries matter?

I will try to revert to the old apk repackaging method using Kelliwood's zipio library.

Barteks2x wrote:

Also, do you know the limit of .apk file size? I've read that it's 50MB, which is about the size of World of Goo apk. I know that it's true for everything downloaded from play store. If it's also true for installing .apk files directly - a lot of mods won't work.

It seems that apk can be bigger than 50MB, some games' apk are even bigger than 100MB.

Apps bigger than 50MB are split into 2+ files and the apk file is always <=50MB.

And IT FINALLY WORKS. I was able to install a goomod. I will upload a video soon.
I will install a few more goomods to see if custom signs work.

Notes: This program requires a few hundred MB of storage space and almost 100MB of RAM available to the mod manager (only for installing).

//Update:

I need some help regarding putting gootool code into my project and gootool license.
Gootool license says that I can distribute modified versions of gootool, but only with different name and that the license notice can't be removed/modified.
I already have license for my project. So what should I do?

That's so cool!!!!!!!!! Could you send the apk to: jimmcg03 at gmail dot com

(Replace at with @ and dot with .)

I've sent email to davidc asking for permission to use name gootool for my mod manager (if it's possible) - I'm going to port most of its features to android, and asking a few questions about license. Still waiting for reply...
Until I get a reply - there will probably be very little progress.

Jim2102 wrote:
That's so cool!!!!!!!!! Could you send the apk to: jimmcg03 at gmail dot com

(Replace at with @ and dot with .)

I hope you received my email. I got to reply.

Yes, thx for the Mod Manager dude. Can I post a vid on my youtube channel about it too? I won't give the apk for download, just want to show it Wink

Yes, you can make youtube videos with the mod manager (until I get permission to use name gootool - it will be probably called GooMan). I'm curious what kind of mods can be already installed with it.

I will probably send you newer version, with the possibility to specify mod order and possibly enable/disable mods.

And the one you have has a potential bug. When you don't "CLEAN" after installing mods once (it may continue without ever noticing that something is wrong, fail silently, crash or corrupt AndroidManifest.xml).
It also should be a bit smaller (removed currently unused gootool code).

When I finally get reply from davidc and push code to github I will try to optimize it a bit. There is a possibility of up to 2x speedup, without need to "clean" aafter changing mod set. Unfortunately there is no known way to get around the "Signing APK" step. Even AndroidStudio does it when compiling.
It may be possible on rooted devices, I'm not sure.

This is so cool !!!

Impressive work!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yes, when I already have a mod installed, and I don't clean and install another mod, the app crashes. But I await your next version, just send it to me again in email, and will make a video when you release the newer one

Edit: just regular levels, Level packs, ball mods can be installed on it. I don't think chapters can, haven't tried it yet, I'm going to right now Wink

With the new version all mods should work (but you need to manually check dependencies, I have no idea what happens if you have missing dependencies). And when you don't clean between mod installs - it will install the ssame mods twice or more.

After waiting for almost 1 month for reply from davidc and no reply I did what I thought is good and pushed what I have to github. I will probably upload apk for download soon (mainly because compiling is isn't easy because of weird dependency issues)

Update: Working on drag-and-drop mod reordering. I almost got it working (for some reason text fields increase their width everytime text us updated...)

Barteks2x: davidc seems to respond better on IRC than anywhere else. Check out the "Web Chat" link under the "GooFans" drop-down menu above, ask a question, and hang out for a few hours for a response.

For some time I've been busy with real life stuff and other projects so there was almost no progress. In a few days (hopefully) I will attempt to create alpha release of this program.
What I have now is only a working prototype and it's a lot of work to make it stable - so I would appreciate any help.