WOG2 Level Editor?

12 replies [Last post]

So, it's been a few days since WOG2 released, and I have noticed it comes DRM-free. Is it possible that anyone is working on a new WOOGLE 2? The game seems to be built from the original WOG, so I assume maybe editing the original WOOGLE would suffice.
I would do it myself but I am quite an inexperienced programmer since the only real code I have ever written is an ASCII egg printer in python Tongue

I also managed to edit a level (I mainly just lowered gravity) but it cannot deserialize the level. The properties of the level listed in 7z are also wildly different from the other levels upon editing. This might be harder than I thought...

I thought the WoG1 level format was weird (why separate "level" and "scene"?) but now we have also "terrains" (in seemingly one file?) and "environments" (with unreadable names/ids). Not that I understand it yet.
Developing a level editor without any help from the Authors seems a huge challenge.

They should've also packaged the game with a level editor. I sure as hell know they've got one lying around, no matter how buggy it may be, because the levels seem way too complex to be made simply with text editing in notepad. What we should do, is create demand for the level editor, and make them release it in an update, probably by getting everyone we can and asking/begging them. Otherwise, we will probably just have to build on top of Daft as Brush's legacy.

Look here:
https://

Someone's ALREADY made a simple level editor! Have no time to read all about it now.
The videos suggest that now ALL THE GROUND is made out of goo balls! An elegant idea if you ask me.

You are a lifesaver. Thank you for telling me about this!!!

Also, they should've probably optimized the way the ground is made out of goo balls (like add less options to the goo balls and keep the ones you can play around with separate) because HOT DIGGITY DAWG the file sizes are SO LARGE

Currently uploading (what I think is) the first WOG2 level of this website Laughing out loud
I had to make a separate DropBox link for it because GooFans only accepts .goomod files, but I hope it gets approved anyway...

You can ask moderators for permission to upload different files.

There is a tiny problem;
There are no moderators (online most of the time).

I agree, my #1 problem with sequel is simply lack of level editor, people have proven to be very good at making levels for WoG

cube205 wrote:
I agree, my #1 problem with sequel is simply lack of level editor, people have proven to be very good at making levels for WoG

You'd think they would atleast check out the fanbase...
Edit: It's also, as I stated, INCREDIBLY unlikely they wrote all that XML by hand. They must have their own internal level editor lying around somewhere.

I haven't been there at the very start of the website so I can't tell how long it took until the first WooGLE was created. The WoG1 files were encrypted so someone had to discover the key in the first place! I find the fact that in a mere few weeks from the release there exists any working unofficial level editor (haven't tried it myself) is already incredible!

The problem is that sharing new levels requires good moderation. Otherwise we will be flooded with boring My-First-Levels. And I guess that designing neat levels for WoG2 would be a bit harder. The new mechanics are more complicated to handle and possibly more fragile. Actually the authors themselves were not aware of some major effects (e.g. goo leaks in "Jelly School" allowing to effortlessly finish it is 8 moves).

Anyway, I imagine that next year there will be some "Goo2Fans" site, new add-in format and so on. I doubt if the current discord (apparently a hub for the remaining GooFans activity) fulfills all the needs of the community.

I also haven't been here since the start (as you can tell from my join date) but I'm pretty sure it took a few years before the first level editor was made. As far as I remember, the oldest editor was made somewhere between late 2009-late 2010, with Daft as Brush taking over after the original person left (and soon, Daft leaving himself)

Taking this into account, the fact that a somewhat fully working editor was made mere DAYS after the games' launch is astounding. However, it will take us a long time to get to the same point as our WoG1 editors today.

Designing good levels for WoG2 is already quite simple (atleast right now) since all editors are limited in capability, so moderation would probably be easier for the first few weeks. However, once editors gain full capability, I assume all the new features would be overwhelming, like you said with Jelly School. THEN moderation would suffer quite a lot from having to review all these complicated new levels.
I do have hope, though, since we can always get new moderators (the game has surged in popularity, after all) which will disperse the heavy weight throughout themselves.

Also, if there is a Goo2Fans website, I will be quite happy to finally see what it was like when this site was created. Discord isn't the same Sad