World of Goo idea

7 replies [Last post]

As far as I know almost every single game from first Humble Indie Bundle has the source code publicly opened. Aquaria, for example, has the opened source code. That doesn't mean that the game is free. You still have to buy it, because you need all the game resources to play it. Aquaria's community made some updates that improve the game a little.

My idea is:

If Kyle and Ron will publish the source code of World of Goo, this community could make an update that allows to have more chapters in the game, add new features, etc.

What do you think?

It would be awesome, but they've said before that they aren't able to release the source code because of the licenses on the libraries they used. Sad

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oh, that's why they haven't released the source yet. Too bad Sad
Do you know which libraries they've used?

I know libpng, SDL, irrKlang, and ODE, but there are probably others as well.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

The stuff they used that prevented them releasing source code was stuff from the PopCap game framework, if I understood correctly. SDL, libpng, tinyxml and ODE are all open-source, and irrKlang is open-source for open-source projects, so those weren't the problem.

But yah, I've been quite disappointed for years that they never released the source. Otherwise, I know I'd be releasing updates and patches galore.

Same. If there were one thing I could add to the game, it would be a "filter" attribute on Fire elements. It shouldn't be too hard, copy and paste from the levelexit code.

Strangely enough, I've seen PopCap framework on Sourceforge. And as far as I know, they used popcap fontilizer to generate fonts. Maybe the part of the game that handles the fonts...
Yeah, its probably that.

And some other things. I've found that other PopCap games have .xml.bin files, although the World of Goo decryption keys don't work for them.