WoG crashes when launched for some users but not others

5 replies [Last post]
Oog

I have installed WoG 1.30 on my parents' computer (running Windows XP Media Center Edition). It runs under the adults' accounts (which have administrator privileges) but crashes when started in my niece's and nephew's accounts (no admin).

When it crashes, Windows attempts to send a bug report to Microsoft and gives the following "error signature":

AppName: worldofgoo.exe         AppVer: 0.0.0.0         ModName: msvcr80.dll
ModVer: 8.0.50727.42         Offset: 00008890

I've tried uninstalling, manually removing all the 2DBoy folders, and reinstalling, but it is to no avail. Is this some kind of permissions issue? I'm not a Windows person, so I might be missing something obvious.

www.worldofgoo.com is currently down, so I can't search for help there. Sad

Try installing from the limited accounts. The installer has to create a file called "pers2.dat" in %APPDATA%, so it might have to be installed separately for each user.

Did you buy from 2DBoy.com?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oog wrote:
www.worldofgoo.com is currently down, so I can't search for help there. Sad

Correct. Any World Of Goo problems or discussions should come here currently.

And, I suggest trying what Albino said.

Oog

Albino Pokey wrote:
Try installing from the limited accounts. The installer has to create a file called "pers2.dat" in %APPDATA%, so it might have to be installed separately for each user.

I'll give that a shot probably later this week.

Albino Pokey wrote:
Did you buy from 2DBoy.com?

I got it through the Humble Indie Bundle.

Thanks!

Oog

Albino Pokey wrote:

Just to follow up, this seems to have worked perfectly. I'll wait to see what the response is when the kids visit my folks. Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.