permissions problem?

9 replies [Last post]

Hi, I installed WOG from my admin account and it works fine in that log-in. However, it won't play on regular user accounts (gives a std windows 7 "program has stopped working" message on start-up) on the computer. It loads fine using run as administrator. I'm getting tired of inputting a password for my kids to play the game; they're getting tired of asking me. I've tried installing it from their log-ins without success. It's Windows 7.

Suggestions?

Your install is in C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldOfGoo, isn't it?

I'm running on Windows 7 and it works fine, but I installed from my account. Try this:

Hit Windows-R and type in %APPDATA%/Local/2D Boy and look for a file called PERS2.DAT (the saved game). Check the permissions on that. If that's okay, then try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldOfGoo\res\levels\MapWorldView\MapWorldView.level.bin and check the permissions. If either of those is blocked WoG can't run.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Actually, you can change the properties of a program to set it to always run as an administrator with you only having to type the password in once (to turn this on). Right-click the shortcut and click Properties. Under the "compatibility" tab in the new window, you can check something at the bottom that reads "Run As Administrator". This will cause it to always run as admin. Press save and see what happens!

@Enchanter - I tried the run as admin but couldn't find a way for it to store the password. Every restart required the password.

@Albino Pokey - I'm pretty sure I have the permissions set correctly but I'm still having problems.

Thank you for the really quick replies from the original query. I didn't expect that! Smile

Another thing you could do is block copy everything in C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldOfGoo to another folder that's accessible to all users in the computer (Like the public documents or something). Unless the pers2.dat file is the problem, it ought to work fine.

Yeah maybe I had my information messed up. Tongue MOM's suggestion should work, it's just that by default, the Program Files folder is admin-only access, so just copy it over to another folder and make new shortcuts.

You can get WoG to run in a regular user account on Windows 7 by setting the permissions in the folder C:\Program Files\WorldOfGoo\properties to include the Users group with Full Control. The rest of the game files can have the usual permissions.

Is it the config.txt file that's the problem then?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up creating a new admin acct without a password and using that enables them to play. Of course, I also am trusting they won't log-in under the "magic" acct creatively named WOG and grant themselves admin abilities. They are young enough that the evil eye, a raised eyebrow, and dire warnings about the world around them blowing up if they do should be sufficient for a month or two.

Albino Pokey wrote:
Is it the config.txt file that's the problem then?

It seems to be.