Windows 7 - Startup Crash - Possible Solution

5 replies [Last post]

Hi,

I bought "World of Goo" as part of the "Humble Bundle for Android" yesterday. Unfortunately the game would crash almost immediately after starting it, after displaying a black screen for a few seconds. I saw some other solutions in the forum that had to do with too much processor cores or dual monitor setups or running the game as Administrator. My solution, or rather my problem, turned out to be much simpler (though it is connected to "running the game as Administrator").

I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit with a standard user account. For some reason the installer failed to assign sufficient rights to the file

c:\Program Files (x86)\WorldOfGoo\properties\config.txt

This file could right after the installation only be read by an Administrator account. Therefore I simply allowed "Read" for the whole "Users" group for this file. Problem solved.

Maybe this can be of some help.

I'm sure it will be a help to many people, especially since a lot of people have 64-bit Windows 7 nowadays, and the recent Humble Bundle.

Personally I haven't had any problems running WoG on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but I am running it on the admin account.

We should add this to the FAQ about crashes.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit. It works well.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, and even as an administrator it won't let me open the config.txt file, it just says "Acsess is denied".
Sad

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

As an admin, you should be able to open properties on the file and set them correctly. It should be safe to give them the equivalent of chmod 777.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.