no sound in world of goo on ubuntu 13.10 even after trying everything mentioned

4 replies [Last post]

Hey guys,
I installed World Of Goo on my ubuntu 13.10 64-bit laptop. I haven't got sound working since I installed the game. I found some advice on a forum to change the "auto" to "esd" in the config file audio driver settings. I tried it but to no use. I also downloaded 3 .so files from the http://2dboy.com/TopSecretTransfer/linux-libs64/ link and replaced the 3 files in the libs directory with these files. However, even now there is no sound. I tried all possible audio driver options (including "auto") again but in vain.
Can any of you help me with this? It would be great help...

Hi there!

That is indeed very odd. I really need to dig around with the Linux version more...
I think the game uses irrKlang for audio output? I know it does in Windows, anyway. Have you tried building/running any irrKlang example programs, or running something else that uses irrKlang? You might also want to try running the 64-bit executable directly or looking at audio mixer output to see if the game is muted or something. What version do you have/where did you get it from?

@MOM4Evr I downloaded the game via torrent, and there seem to be no problems except the one I mentioned above. I haven't tried running any irrKlang programs... should I do it? Also, how do I "run the 64-bit executable directly"? The only way I know of starting the game is by running a script using the command ./WorldOfGoo in terminal.

akshat wrote:
@MOM4Evr I downloaded the game via torrent, and there seem to be no problems except the one I mentioned above. I haven't tried running any irrKlang programs... should I do it? Also, how do I "run the 64-bit executable directly"? The only way I know of starting the game is by running a script using the command ./WorldOfGoo in terminal.

Sorry, we can't help you unless you buy the game legitimately. It's not that expensive, and if you download it directly from 2D Boy's site we know all the details and how to fix most problems that can occur. If it's from a torrent there may be DRM or other modifications.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Well, while I don't magically know how to solve all problems with the legal Linux version of the game, a pirated version would be a prime suspect for causing bizarre problems like the ones you're describing. The very least you could have done is downloaded the 100% free and legal Linux demo, and decided to not mess with the game at all if that didn't work.