Adding custom levels to ios/android version

20 replies [Last post]

OK so since there is no java for android it is impossible to get gootool on it. iOS is easy, but I have android.Anyway so I tried dragging the custom level into my world of goo apk folder but didn't work. Apparently the android wog levels have android code not PC code.

So is there a way to install them or get gootool on android?
Or is there some way to change the levels to the mobile version? Let me know Wink

BTW I just thought this would be fun, and a learning experience for me Smile

You said it didn't work, how? Did you sign your apk? Did you modify res/islands/island1.xml, res/levels/island1/island1.scene, etc. as GooTool does? (well, it's really complicated if you want to do it by hand)

On Android, the apk package is stored in /data/app and Android doesn't extract the package as iOS does. So imo the easiest way to install new levels is to put the new files in the apk and install it.

@davidc
Do you want to update GooTool and add support for installing goomod on apks? It should be really easy because it seems that apktool and SignApk are both written in Java (and I could help). But if you don't, I might make a converter that generates an apk based on PC copies instead. I've made one converter for another game before so it won't be hard, but I think it's better to make a goomod installer. Tongue

And by the way, does the current version of GooTool work for iOS? Last time I connected my iPad to my PC and the iOS menu on GooTool is still disabled. Puzzled

Don't know I used to have an iPod that was jail broken but I sold it. So in island.XML and scene what do I have to edit? Just put in the code that gootool does?

BTW it doesn't work: the level doesn't show up.

Yeah gootool could be updated for android so it could be easier to install .goomods

Yeah a goomod installer would work best

You need to add a level to the island and add button to the island map to make the level appear in island1.

Mygod wrote:
You said it didn't work, how? Did you sign your apk? Did you modify res/islands/island1.xml, res/levels/island1/island1.scene, etc. as GooTool does? (well, it's really complicated if you want to do it by hand)

On Android, the apk package is stored in /data/app and Android doesn't extract the package as iOS does. So imo the easiest way to install new levels is to put the new files in the apk and install it.

@davidc
Do you want to update GooTool and add support for installing goomod on apks? It should be really easy because it seems that apktool and SignApk are both written in Java (and I could help). But if you don't, I might make a converter that generates an apk based on PC copies instead. I've made one converter for another game before so it won't be hard, but I think it's better to make a goomod installer. Tongue

And by the way, does the current version of GooTool work for iOS? Last time I connected my iPad to my PC and the iOS menu on GooTool is still disabled. Puzzled

Another game = EDGE

Hmm... Only 2 questions, where's the wog directory, BTW data/app leads to the apk installer not the directory

And how do u add a button?

Sorry I'm not that good of a coder :/

The idea behind GooTool for iOS (which wasn't completed) was that it would download all the files from the device via scp over ssh, cache them locally, merge them, and write a "my custom world of goo.app" back to the device. On subsequent builds, it would write only changed files to the device to save on flash wear.

An Android version could work similarly if it supported some file transport mechanism. Or it could run on the device itself with a lot more work with a new PlatformSupport and probably a whole new UI for mobile devices.

I don't have an Android device but the SVN code would be the place to start, it is more recent than the downloadable and contains the iOS implementation; I was refactoring the code to use Projects that could be local or remote.

-davidc

@Jim2102
What do you mean by wog directory? If you want to install the package, just install it anyway. The system will take control of everything.

Adding a button can be done with WooGLE or modifying XML. It's really complicated to do it manually.

You don't need to code if you just want to install a modified copy on Android, but the process is really complicated to do it manually.

@davidc
Do you mean you want me to implement the features? I'm still learning Java so I'm afraid I can't. Puzzled

If you made an apk package, you can use adb push to push it to the device and then use adb install to install the package. No root required. However using adb pull to get the package requires root access. Making an Android version of GooTool is too complicated imo.

@davidc

Would it be possible to get gootool on android if android supported java? I will look on google and see if there is an apk or something. If it does support java, you can write an apk for gootool

Also it is possible to play custom levels with team viewer or other apps. Team viewer is an app that let's you have remote access to your PC. Then just launch wog. Its really laggy though.

BTW I have a rooted android device, just in case u wanted to know Wink

Um, Android basically IS Java. It quite supports it.

Hmm...

Ok I have managed to get the WOG apk on my pc. Now how do I extract it so I can add the level?

Ok so I have my files:

Island1.xml

Island1.scene

Island folder

level folder.

now i need to figure out how to extract the apk so I can put the files in

Use 7-Zip, WinRAR or some stuff like that.

Wow this is tougher than I thought . I put the apk in WinRar and it just had a bunch a pngs, no levels no nothing Sad

Jim2102 wrote:
Wow this is tougher than I thought . I put the apk in WinRar and it just had a bunch a pngs, no levels no nothing Sad

the levels are not comiled so they're xmls, you can edit them with notepad.

Tip: New versions don't have .png extensions any more.

@Donald has tried add new levels to Android WoG...And it seems that he failed.

Random user of goofans site & WoG gamer.

Maniac of osu!game now. Go MU as you want and just PM me.

MaybeSuper wrote:
@Donald has tried add new levels to Android WoG...And it seems that he failed.

Because he didn't sign apk.

OK first of all what is sign apk? And yes I know there xmls but their not there.

And I have the latest version of Wog full

OK nvm. Found out what sign apk is. This is really tough so of anyone has an edited apk with the level I want, please send it to me and tell me how you did it. The level I want is little path by Kopa.

Email me the apk. Here's my email: jimmcg03 at gmail dot com