WoG can not find pers2.dat

11 replies [Last post]

So a few days ago my computer messed up (blue screens and all those good stuff) and the problem was my C drive was almost full. My repairmen came and then solved the issue by deleting C:\Users\(User Name). The only thing I have left in that folder is AppData which has windows media player database.

But he made sure he didn't remove it completely. He made another folder called C:\Users\Administrator.(User Name)-PC which has AppData and my profile. But WoG can't seem to find it. It thinks that I deleted my profiles and asks me to make a new profile. How do I fix this?

I tried making a new profile and thought of replacing the new pers2.dat with my older one but I couldn't find where WoG saved the new profile. Gootool isn't also working.

My Profile

Hmm... How is Gootool not working? When you click save and launch World Of Goo, does it give you an exe error or something? Because that happens to me to. My PC is kinda old and bluescreen happens often, and whenever I boot my PC back up and try to launch gootool, it gives me that exe error. So I have to make a backup of my profile and reinstall the game for it to work.

Yeah it sucks :/

Gootool says to at first locate World of Goo in the next screen, then it just keeps on showing the launching gootool. I tried reinstalling but that didn't work either, WoG still cant find my profile.

My Profile

You're on Windows 7, with a patched copy of World of Goo?

Try copying C:\Users\Administrator.[USERNAME]-PC\AppData\Local\2DBoy to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\2DBoy, then closing and reopening the game.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yeah I'm on Windows 7 with the patch. I tried copying it but it didn't work.

My Profile

You can search "pers2.dat" in your computer.

I know where my pers2.dat is but the problem is WoG can't locate it.

My Profile

Make a backup of pers2.dat and reinstall the game.

I don't think you can backup profiles without gootool. I did save my profile somewhere else and tried reinstalling but didn't work.

My Profile

Are you entering with your old profile? Because World of Goo searches for a pers2.dat file in the profile's folder you log in. Try to enter as Administrator and see if WoG can find your data.

What do you mean by the profile's folder I log in?

Edit: I fixed it. I tried to open gootool again and this time it worked (I don't know how). Then after I go the option menu I see that WoG was actually searching the C:\Users\Administrator.(User Name)-PC\AppData\Local\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo folder and was showing that per2.dat which for some reason erased all my progress. I then restored a previous version which I backed up at the start of October. Luckily I didn't play much WoG since I backed up so I don't need to try all my scores again.

I wonder why WoG made a new profile though.

My Profile

Good thing it's fixed now.

"naveed_rizvi" wrote:

What do you mean by the profile's folder I log in?

If you look in your C:/Users folder, you can find different folders, one for each user on your PC and a couple of system ones. GooTool may have been working with your admin's folder, while WoG was using your user's folder.
P.S. If you don't understand what I mean, don't worry. It's all fixed now.