goofans.com related suggestions, bug reports and questions

12 replies [Last post]

Since there is no site related subforum, i figured i'd start this topic here.

First of all: goofans.com is great!
If anything of the following comes off as too negative, it isn't supposed to be.

#1 Voting System
It seems like the voting system is broken. It worked when it was new, but now everytime i click on a star it says "Your vote has been saved" but it doesn't count the vote, and doesn't show it. (as in "average: bla, YOUR VOTE: bla")and i don't know why sometimes the stars are shown and sometimes the "give it 5/5" dropdown menu.

#2 "More..." Tab and ball-style(2)
The "More..." tab at the homepage features one entry for the 2 ball style nodes, that leads to a "nothing here" page. also the whole tab feels a bit redundent. nah, not redundent... it just could be better. somehow. Wink

#3 Double or None-login
When i got the editor status, i wanted to look at a levels edit page, but it said, you don't have the rights to edit this page, log in. i was already logged in, but did it again, afterwards i was able to see the edit page, and two XDboys were in the list of online users.
Now everything is back to normal, but sometimes it doesn't show me in the list of online users at all.

#4 Google
I googled for "world of goo" some time ago, to see which results i would get, and where goofans would come up. My guess was, it would be within the first 20 results, but no, it turned out to be somewhere around #170 or #230, depending on searching with or without " ".
Could that be improved by site optimisation for search engines, or is it tough to get a top spot with "world of goo" keywords?

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

Hi XDboy, Thanks for your kind comments.

#1 I noticed this too, particularly that it often gives drop-downs instead of stars. I suspect this may be related to whether you're a site admin or not; anyway I will be investigating it soon. I'm also adding "rate this addin" links directly into GooTool.

#2 The tabs have been reorganised by xanax and I just need to write the code for the new options: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3935/addinsmenu1.png

#3a This is possibly related to needing to logout and back in to get your new privileges.
#3b Only admins can see the online users, it never seemed very reliable. I noticed also that when you interact from GooTool, it adds a duplicate entry to online users.

These are not a high priority for me to fix unless you feel it would be a useful site function - instead I intend to wait until Drupal fixes it themselves.

#4 "world of goo" is a pretty tough search term, though we do pretty well from things like "world of goo levels", "world of goo mods", "world of goo tricks" etc. We're also, hilariously, #15 for the common Java error "java.lang.NullPointerException null" and #8 for the classic WoG launch error "StackWalk failed" Laughing out loud

Two things will help improve our placement: the first is a lot more useful and varied content on the site, which we're working on. The second is lots of links from other relevant websites - if you spot any WoG-related sites that don't like to us already, do feel free to drop them a line asking for a link Smile (don't worry about 2dboy.com because Kyle & Ron link us fairly frequently, and there's always new links from the forums).

My current secret project should also shoot us up the pagerank.

David

Yay for "StackWalk failed" Laughing out loud

yep, #3 isn't a high priority problem at all, but nit-picky as i am, i thought i should mention it. Wink
#2 Right, you wrote about more options in the addins menu before...

But #1 is really a problem. Especially if you want to sort addins by rating.
I've seen the dropdown menus definatly before i got promoted to contributor. maybe since my level was online?
It still doesn't count my votes. (This time i tried the dropdown menu to vote)
edit: It = the voting system. Not my own level. Laughing out loud

(edit: i said something about glitchy looking goos in the header here, but that was my own fault. I zoomed in the site a bit, and firefox remembered this, but i didn't. D'oh!)

Also you have an email. a g(oogle)mail one. in case you didn't notice, or it's in your spam folder. Wink

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

ya, i don't know which links are bad,
but today's most popular page is page load error

I haven't seen the page load error myself but it looks like it is pretty common

Also, is there any chance i can become a contributor and help with the site or with gootool?

There's no (major) bad links, I keep a regular eye on this. Some new user called JBXL requested a non-existant page around 22,500 times. He's banned now and I've blocked "page not found" from showing on the most popular pages list (I made it a real page recently so I could edit it to show Google's suggestions on the page).

And sure, you have full access to the site now.

Why is there a balloon subpage in World of Goo main page?

and why is there a 6 ogrgod users?

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

The balls are driving me nuts, I can't figure out how to make them stay where they're put in the book. Sometimes they even appear on the top site menu!

If you're looking at "who's online?", it sometimes lists the same user two or more times. I don't know why, but it must be a Drupal bug. This is one reason why only moderators can see this list!

I have a suggestion! (Even though im not on the team, i have a suggestion!) Maybe, next to the developers tab, (or, whatever you call it) you could have a little music player that plays the WoG soundtrack!

OVER 9000

it would be cool but it could get annoying to have music playing
make sure to have a pause or stop button if there is music

Also, the right icon doesn't come up when there are new posts on the forum. It just looks the same.

OVER 9000

When I go to .../World of Goo/Balls there are 4 links to balloon goo but none to sticky anchor. Maybe more are missing but I didn't noticed.

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Pavke wrote:
When I go to .../World of Goo/Balls there are 4 links to balloon goo but none to sticky anchor. Maybe more are missing but I didn't noticed.

There's a subsection for "utility" balls: http://goofans.com/world-of-goo/balls/utility

I'm aware of the problem with balloon, there was an edit war over it and since then it's appeared at various spurious locations on the site including, at one point, the main navigation bar at the top!

I think it's either a Drupal menu bug, a result of my adding all the balls to the book via a script instead of manually, or both.

-davidc

davidc wrote:

#2 The tabs have been reorganised by xanax and I just need to write the code for the new options: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3935/addinsmenu1.png

I still think it would be useful to be able to click on this UPLOAD button, here on the front page. Of course, only logged users could see this button.

Come chat with us !
http://goofans.com/irc.php