gootool can't find WorldofGoo.bin on linux steam

10 replies [Last post]

Hi Everyone,

I just downloaded gootool.deb and it installed perfectly on debian testing. However, I'm using wog on steam native (not using wine) and gootools can't see my wog executable, maybe because it is not a .bin file. Can I use gootool on linux steam? If so can someone please help.

Thanks!

How are the files stored on Linux Steam? Are they native executables like on Windows, or interpreted in some way by Steam?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Hi Albino Pokey and thanks for the reply. Inside of this folder:
/home/a/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/World of Goo
is the WorldOfGoo file. My file browser says that it's an executable file but there is no file extension. It seems that GooTool is looking for a file with a .bin extension. Does this information help?

Thanks

It does.

This is hacky, but could you ln that file to WorldOfGoo.bin? Then GooTool will see the one with the proper extension, and Steam will see the file it put there as well.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Unfortunately the steam people (or whoever) named the last folder with spaces (see above). Linux cannot deal with it and I can't link to a file in a folder named with spaces. I downloaded the non-steam demo and GooTool seems fine given the limitations of the demo but, woogle returns this error when run from the command line:
a@ACW:~$ woogle
<

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/woogle/wogeditor.py", line 3791, in <module>
    mainwindow = MainWindow()
  File "/usr/share/woogle/wogeditor.py", line 2341, in __init__
    self._reloadGameModel()
  File "/usr/share/woogle/wogeditor.py", line 2361, in _reloadGameModel
    self._game_model = GameModel( self._wog_path,self)
  File "/usr/share/woogle/wogeditor.py", line 370, in __init__
    self._properties_dir, 'fx.xml.bin' )
  File "/usr/share/woogle/wogeditor.py", line 448, in _loadTree
    xml_data = wogfile.decrypt_file_data( path )
  File "/usr/share/woogle/wogfile.py", line 169, in decrypt_file_data
    cipher = make_aes_cipher()
  File "/usr/share/woogle/wogfile.py", line 115, in make_aes_cipher
    cipher = AES.new(binary_key, AES.MODE_CBC)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Crypto/Cipher/AES.py", line 94, in new
    return AESCipher(key, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Crypto/Cipher/AES.py", line 59, in __init__
    blockalgo.BlockAlgo.__init__(self, _AES, key, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Crypto/Cipher/blockalgo.py", line 141, in __init__
    self._cipher = factory.new(key, *args, **kwargs)
ValueError: IV must be 16 bytes long<blockcode>

I would just buy the non-steam version if I knew that GooTool and Woogle will work.
Maybe the above error is because this is a demo. Does anyone know? Thanks again for all the help.

Oh, I didn't even think of that. The data files are the same on all platforms except Mac and iOS. You can copy the /properties/ and /res/ folders from your Steam install to the demo and it will effectively "upgrade" it to the full game.

Try that and see if GooTool and WooGLE will work.

Thanks again Albino Pokey. Your suggestion to copy the files worked to unlock the program but the error message is the same for WooGLE. GooTool works fine. Is WooGLE still actively developed? Maybe I can send the error message to the developer. If not, I suppose I can just boot into windows but it's a shame because we don't really use windows for much else. Anyway, thanks again for your time!

The developer vanished some time ago, but the source code is available if you want to try to build from source. The error message is odd, as the file encryption is the same on Windows as on Linux and the Windows version works fine.

Thanks Albino Pokey,

I'll try building from source.

I wrote a guide for building WooGLE from source. It was a while back, but may still be helpful: http://goofans.com/running-woogle-wooble-and-woovie-linux

The easy way to create a 'fake' WorldOfGoo.bin would be to create a symbolic link:

cd "/home/a/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/World of Goo"
ln -s WorldOfGoo WorldOfGoo.bin

This creates a link from WorldOfGoo.bin to WorldOfGoo.

Alternatively, since I believe GooTool is only looking for the presence of that file, you could just create an empty file:

cd "/home/a/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/World of Goo"
touch WorldOfGoo.bin

-davidc