Dialup Internet problems...

17 replies [Last post]

Hey, I got OCD on all levels and wanted to publish my profile on this site. I have dialup internet at home, so copied all the WOG stuff (With the profile, of course) onto my memory stick. After setting all the "World of Goo installation" paramaters and clicking "Publish this profile" I get this error message box:

Internal server error: Trying to get property of non-object at gooprofile.upload.inc:221

I recognize 221 as an error code (being a programmer myself) but I didn't exactly program GooTool myself, so I don't know exactly what error this is or how to resolve it.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

In fact, 221 is the line on which the error occurred (inside the file gooprofile.upload.inc). This seems to be one of the scripts involved in processing your upload on the goofans server. So only davidc can fix this.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Okay, that makes sense. Is the publish-profile part of GooTool so optimized that it could be done on dial-up Internet? Also, this is a kind of odd problem, since I can download and upload profiles no problem, I just can't publish them.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

I assume that by "download and upload profiles" you mean the backup/restore functionality? As long as you are connected to the Internet while trying dialup doesn't make any difference to a permanent connection. This is a server-side only problem.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Yeah, I meant the backup/restore functionality. I was really wondering if this problem had anything to do with running GooTool off of a memory stick here at school, rather than at home with the slow Internet.

I got the same error, created this thread recently: http://goofans.com/forum/goofans/general-discussion/708

I have a 100Mbit internet connection so i guess thats not the problem...

Yeah, I have a 100 Mb connection here at school, too. I guess my problem isn't with the memory stick, then, if you have the same error.

Please e-mail me your pers2.dat so I can investigate it. I have an idea what it might be (profile never connected to the online leaderboards), but please e-mail me the file first. davidc @ this domain.

Okay, done. Hope this helps!

Thanks, I'll look at this shortly (after the GooTool release).

Oh yeah, good idea. Release GooTool first. Smile

Hey Davidc I have the same problem help me plzzzzzz!

I am Awsome yes i am and if you have a problem Speak to my friends the Devil, Werewolf, Vampire and The Wizard!!!!!

I was unable to reproduce this error with MOM4Evr's pers2.dat, but I did get the error "Please enable online play within the game first".

At any rate, the cause is the same: the profile doesn't have a unique player ID. The World of Goo game itself is responsible for creating this. It does this the first time you enable online play by clicking "submit to leaderboard" at the end of the level, or "connect" in the World of Goo Corporation.

I don't have access to the code, so I'm not sure whether it needs to make a successful connection to 2D Boy's server before it creates the ID. If it does, this would explain why people are now having problems since their server has been up and down.

MOM4Evr since you are using it on another computer without Internet access, you probably never turned on online play. You could try entering the World of Goo Corporation and trying to connect (even though it will fail) just to create the ID. I'm not sure if that would work though.

Otherwise you can send me your very latest profile, I'll edit it to add a random online player ID for you and send it back.

-davidc

OK Soultaker did just confirm this is the same problem and suggested a fix which I'll add to the next GooTool release.

http://goofans.com/forum/gootool/suggestions-and-bug-reports/736

Okay. Thanks for the help, davidc. I think I'll try to see if I can get an online ID by running it off my memory stick here, but I deleted WOG off the stick yesterday because it was having trouble (I think some glitch in the stick.) I tried hitting "Connect" in WOG Corp before I sent you the pers2.dat file, so that won't work. Anyway, if I can't get this to work, I'll send you my (new and improved!) pers2.dat file. Thanks for the help!

I want to upload my tower using the pers2.dat file in the "Upload" place, and it said something about Online, and I already have it as it says on GooTool.
-SSBloxLines
(P.S. Help?)

I'm so happy! ¬_¬ <-- OM NOM NOM
..............╔╝
..............╚╗
...............╨

Did it tell you you had to enable online play within the game first? That's the trouble I had when I tried to upload my profile that way.

Because 2DBoy's server is still down, I can't upload my profile either. We'll just both have to wait for the next GooTool release to fix the problem.

Edit: With new GooTool release, finally got my profile uploaded! Thanks, Mr. Croft!
Slight glitch: If you launch GooTool and there isn't a profile on the computer you're using, it gives you the message "Uncaught exception (java.lang.NullPointerException): null". I just ran WOG enough to create a profile on the computer, then launched GooTool, and that solved the problem. However, this could be a more major problem if World of Goo is saving a profile where GooTool can't find it.

I'll check it out. I haven't done a clean install in ages so I've possibly broken the new-install process in one of the recent releases.