Chapter Addins

46 replies [Last post]

I saw an article that the chapter addins can be appeared in the future, but anyone could tell me if these addins can be created or not?

EVERYTHING AMAZING BY INWOG

inwog, publisher of 407 World of Goo levels since 2009-2015

Possibly, if people/GooTool can edit the island map without catastrophe.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

How?

Adding new chapters is impossible at the moment. Editing the existing is easy. Just open it with the editor and edit it like a level. When you are finished save it like the existing chapter. Backup the files before you try this

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

How should I backup files anyway?

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Just create copies of them in a different location or under a different file name.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

How is adding chapters impossible? Is it that you would need to edit the executable for WoG? Or is it that nobody knows how?

I think I might have a way:

Clone a chapter level

Make it your own (edit it)

Change the level buttons to redirect to different levels than the default ones

Change the mapworldview level to add the chapter to the main menu

Create the button for it by selecting scene>Add Child Button and adding resources to the properties

After doing all that, you can go to the directory (res/islands) and duplicate one of the bin files there

Decrypt it in gootool and rename it to change the level properties of the chapter

Level properties would be like (Fisty's Bog requires Hang Low . or something like that)

Encrypt it in gootool and compile all the new stuff into a mod and it should work!

I'm not sure if this will work according to plan as I haven't tried it yet. If somebody does all this can they tell me if it worked or not? I need a method of compiling World of Goo 2 into the game BESIDES overriding all the levels and chapters...

i tried to make my own chapter but it doesn't work, Enchanter.

It's the adding of chapter to the islands map that's difficult. You will probably have to resize all of the images it use, squeeze in your island, and then make all of them accessible somehow. It'll be hard to automate because of the cumbersomeness of resizing the images.

As a sample sort of thing, why don't we start small?

*create a picture or small bit of the chapter that you are going to make.
*squeeze it into the background of "the goo filled hills"
*make it so when your mouse hovers over it, a level appears.

That's my thought, but I dunno if it works...

can we make a subworld? like copying a world file, and adding a level button to it on one of the existing worlds?
Im guessing it probably wouldnt work, but has anyone tried it?

98% of the teen population believes those "98% of ... if you are one of the 2% who don't copy this into your sig" sigs. copy and paste this into your sig if you are one of the 2% who don't believe them.
-madaco

I'm wondering if I'm having this right. Are we trying to add a chapter into the islands map or are we trying to add a block of levels into an existing chapter?

GMMan wrote:
I'm wondering if I'm having this right. Are we trying to add a chapter into the islands map chapter?
That's impossible. You can only edit existing chapters, make them different with different levels.

Can't you edit the islands map? I thought there were some control files used for the main menu and defining islands. I haven't been decrypting those files, so I'm not quite sure.

Yea you can edit maps for some reason and keep you changes there, but i bet that if you put in an unofficial level(even if it's a legit addin) in there, WoG will crash.
I dunno if you could stick a pipe in an island, but I'm pretty sure you get "Cheater" badge if you try to save those changes(in fact I'm not even sure if it's possible).

The only way you can get a cheater badge is...

)if you are logged into goofans through gootool + if you have edited wogc

Enchanter49 wrote:

And if thB or me click cheater in moderator options.

About editing main menu and islands.... If you put new chapter button in main menu WOG will crash, same goes for the pipe. WoG will crash too if you put a pipe in chapter scene.
All this is hard coded in the game exe. I have try to decompile the .exe to make the 6th chapter available, was getting some progress but had to put it on hold because of my study obligations

That kinda sucks, man.

Pavke wrote:
Enchanter49 wrote:

And if thB or me click cheater in moderator options.

About editing main menu and islands.... If you put new chapter button in main menu WOG will crash, same goes for the pipe. WoG will crash too if you put a pipe in chapter scene.
All this is hard coded in the game exe. I have try to decompile the .exe to make the 6th chapter available, was getting some progress but had to put it on hold because of my study obligations

WTF it doesn't crash!!! I made a successful button to WoG2 menu (level, not chapter) from original menu without a problem!!! I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Maybe you can only have one level on the main menu: WoG Corp.

Show me what you did, please!

I simply edited the level mapworldview and added a button leading to a level. I had to edit text.xml in the properties folder of world of goo to create a banner when the mouse moved over it though.

Enchanter49 wrote:
I simply edited the level mapworldview and added a button leading to a level. I had to edit text.xml in the properties folder of world of goo to create a banner when the mouse moved over it though.

Levels can be added, chapters can't. That's way we still haven't got the Moon chapter, even davidc and Soultaker can't make it possible.

I don't fully understand what you did Enchanter49... You made a new level button in main menu scene and when you click on it it doesn't lead to a new level instead it leads you to new main menu for WoG 2?? Is that right?

Pavke wrote:
Enchanter49 wrote:

Levels can be added, chapters can't. That's way we still haven't got the Moon chapter, even davidc and Soultaker can't make it possible.

I don't fully understand what you did Enchanter49... You made a new level button in main menu scene and when you click on it it doesn't lead to a new level instead it leads you to new main menu for WoG 2?? Is that right?

Correct. The new main menu for WoG 2 is just a level though. Same thing with the islands nonetheless.

It actually seemed somewhat obvious to me...after 3 hours of expirimenting in the WoG directory!!!

I guess a pipe is not mandatory in a level and that buttons can be added too, right? Enchanter, you should post some source code, for the sake of progress.

so can a level have a button to go to another level?

98% of the teen population believes those "98% of ... if you are one of the 2% who don't copy this into your sig" sigs. copy and paste this into your sig if you are one of the 2% who don't believe them.
-madaco

yes.
Enchanter, did you mean that chapter screens will be in our WoG2 levels buth buttons to other levels? Laughing out loud

Martin33 wrote:
yes.
Enchanter, did you mean that chapter screens will be in our WoG2 levels buth buttons to other levels? Laughing out loud

I'm not sure what you said because of all the incorrect characters, but I think the answer is yes.

A new chapter will be ready eventually because of this?

sorry Enchanter, i'm not very good at English.

I'm STILL not sure what you guys mean...