Making Custom Particles for my new levels

16 replies [Last post]

Jingle Balls and Fly Her To The Moon Levels have custom particles, but I don't know how they should make. How should I make my own custom particle? Can anyone help!?

EVERYTHING AMAZING BY INWOG

inwog, publisher of 407 World of Goo levels since 2009-2015

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Best way is to get an example (just like i.e. Jingle Balls or Fly Her to the Moon) and study it.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

What thB said is good for this. I know that it has something to do with the FX folder.

Actually, fx.xml.bin and resources.xml.bin in the properties folder (will be in merge folder in a goomod). Making custom particles is fun! Smile I did it for one level in WOG 2, which of course hasn't been released yet, but the level turned out really cool. If used correctly, new particle systems can add a great deal of fun to a new ball/level. I look forward to see what you can come up with! Smile

Teach me how?

EVERYTHING AMAZING BY INWOG

inwog, publisher of 407 World of Goo levels since 2009-2015

Seriously, the best way to learn is to go into XDBoy's mod "Fly Her to the Moon" and start changing stuff in the merge/properties folder. It's just as easy as creating new ball types, only a little more cryptic because you're using .xml.xsl stuff instead of just plain .xml's. It's a little hard to explain on a forum, though. Smile

Use the goo, Luke. In other words, just do what MOM4Evr said, okay? Smile

my name's Luke, or are you referring to Luke goowalker? Tongue

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

GooMaster2000 wrote:
my name's Luke, or are you referring to Luke goowalker? Tongue

I seriously forgot your real name there. I WAS referring to Luke, but his last name is CLOUDwalker...

Uh, I thought it was SKYwalker. Anyway, inwog hasn't responded to any of these posts, so I'd say we stop on this forum topic until he has something else to ask. OK? Wink

i was trying to be funny! sigh....

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

Nobody has documented the particle file format as far as I'm aware. However it should be fairly intuitive if you're familiar with the concept of particle generators. Take a look at the game's existing fx.xml to get an idea of what you can achieve.

And as far as adding them to your mods, as someone else mentioned, check out merge\properties\fx.xml.xsl in Jingle Balls - the <particleeffect> element is what gets added, you can copy and ignore the rest of the file.

Within your level, <particles> is the element to add to scene.xml for both particleeffect and ambientparticleeffect (the pos attribute is ignored for the latter).

-davidc

Ah... so THAT'S the difference between the two...
Hmm, I don't think that particleeffect and ambientparticleeffect are interchangeable, because I think that I used an ambientparticleeffect on one ball, and WOG crashed. I'll have to keep experimenting with it...

No, a ball probably can't have an ambient particle effect. But a scene can have either, and you insert both using the same <particles> element.

Is there a "World Of Goo Particles Editor"

Nope, not yet. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

The particles are in \images\fx\